Sealing Chimney and Stove

Sealing Chimney and Stove

PostBy: rrob311 On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:21 pm

I would like to substantially lower the amount of dust that my Russo stove lets out. Is there a way to seal the pipe coming out of the back? I put some furnace cement on it last year. Also there is a small gap in between the glass frame and the stove door. I would really like to lower the amount of dust in the house because it gets pretty bad. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
rrob311

Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Number 2 Coal Wood

Re: Sealing Chimney and Stove

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Are you talking about coal ash dust? When does the dust come out -- when you open the door to feed more coal? or when you are taking out the ash pan? Be very careful when opening either door, just crack it open a fraction of an inch, wait 15 seconds or so, then slowly open it the rest of the way. My DSM stove is much more likely to emit fly ash when opening doors, than was my Harman, if I'm not real careful.

The gap between glass and door may be intentional. I know some Harmans have that gap to let in a small amount of above-the-fire air, so maybe your stove does too. Not sure how ashes would get out around the stovepipe connection, seems that there should be adequate draft creating suction there.
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: rrob311 On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Ya its the fly ash. I would like to keep it to a minimum. Not really sure when the dust comes out. I just know the house gets covered with it.
rrob311

Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Number 2 Coal Wood

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 am

rrob311 wrote:Ya its the fly ash. I would like to keep it to a minimum. Not really sure when the dust comes out. I just know the house gets covered with it.

When I pull out the ash pan and set it in front of the stove, any disturbance at all will release a small amount of fly ash and the convection currents along the front of the stove carry the ash up and distribute it around the room. If I shovel out the ash inside the stove, which has missed the ash pan, then dump the shovel into the pan, it can also release a cloud. It is worse if I take out the ashes right after shaking down the stove, because then the ashes are hot and they can provide their own convection. Also like I said before, be vewy vewy careful when opening the doors.

Fly ash may be hard to see if you are working in dim light. Get some bright light on your stove when you are opening it and removing ashes, and you should be able to see where the problem is.
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane