weeding

weeding

PostBy: dtzackus On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I have some problems with weeding around my landscaping. I figure I would see what works or what doesn't. I heard plastic is horrible for termites and landscaping fabric doesn't work very well. I tried newspapers, but the weeds just pushed thru.

I am planning on putting out new woodchips, but want to put something down for the weeds.

Thanks very much!

Dan
dtzackus

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC
Stove/Furnace Make: Gibraltar
Stove/Furnace Model: LCC

Re: weeding

PostBy: Joeski On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:06 am

I would start using Preen. It won't stop everything but it is a great start. You need to clear any and all weeds out of the area first then apply the Preen to the area as on the container. If a weed does sprout you will need to pull it. Put it down pretty early in the season like about late February then about every 6 to 8 weeks. After a while a residual will build up that will really put a stop to those weeds from getting sprouted.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: watkinsdr On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 am

Roundup. Mix it strong. Spray when weeds appear. Don't spray when windy.
watkinsdr

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

PostBy: Joeski On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:58 pm

watkinsdr wrote:Roundup. Mix it strong. Spray when weeds appear. Don't spray when windy.

That's right. Since it's not weeding season right now I forgot about the good old Roundup for the sprouted growing weeds.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: KLook On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Get some of the Roundup the farmers us and it will kill anything. It is a ripoff what they charge in hardware stores and such. The concentrate is only commercially available probably.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000