GMC TWO GAS TANKS WHY NO SELECTOR SWITCH. HOWS IT WORK?

GMC TWO GAS TANKS WHY NO SELECTOR SWITCH. HOWS IT WORK?

PostBy: sperry On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 pm

My 02 GMC 3500 Dump fuel gauge is broken. The gas gauge shows E and the fuel message board says low fuel. It has two gas tanks but no selector switch, and it seems to pull gas from both sending units at the same time, while keeping track of the total fuel amount. I tried installing a new sending unit in each tank, but that didn't solve the issue. Does anyone know how this system works--or know how to repair this problem :?:
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
sperry

Stove/Furnace Make: efm/alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: 520/fireplace insert

Re: GMC TWO GAS TANKS WHY NO SELECTOR SWITCH. HOWS IT WORK?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Trucks of that "era" had a problem with the gauge cluster that would make the fuel gauge (and/or other gauges) not work.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Quick google search says that onboard computer monitors the fuel level in both tanks and averages the fuel remaining to show on your gauge.

The primary fuel pump is in the front tank. When the level in the front tank drops, it sends a signal via a fuel pump relay to trigger the rear fuel pump to send fuel to the front tank.

And supposedly the only way to really get into the diagnostics is with a newer model full blown scan tool. Generic OBD II readers don't work.

Hope this helps.

Probably is it was me, I'd try to do away with the automatic crap and put in manual activated switches and pumps.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: whistlenut On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Excellence in the electrical engineering dept of GM!!!! I have a '00' 3500 with the same scenario. Rear tank pump is seemly always on, can't tell about the front tank. It could be 'magic', but I would not think that we are that lucky. I can assure you of this: It will cost a small fortune to repair the damned thing when it leaves you stranded on the GW Bridge in Rush Hour! The KISS philosophy seems to be sooooooooo absent in any thing we have available today!!!!
My OBD won't deal with it! Computer controlled and that is all you need to know.

Thanks Rich! That sounds like a grand to tell you the fuel computer is having a bad day, along with the rear tank fuel pump. 2500 will probably REPAIR it........BOHICA!!!!
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: sperry On: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 am

Decided to give the cluster a try. I have a 02 2500hd, I'll pull the cluster out and try it in the 3500 next weekend.
Thanks for the help.
sperry

PostBy: sperry On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:49 pm

I started the dump today in preparation to swap out the cluster and found the fuel gauge is now working again. :?: I'll keep you all updated if things change.
sperry

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Nice. It's always good when ya can scare things into workin right. Worked with my kids for years. :clap: toothy
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Yep - stepper motors in those clusters are notorious piles of *censored*. Usually you can replace them individually without shitcanning the entire cluster. You'll find hundreds of them on eBay, if that tells you anything. ;)
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler