Oiled Coal Odor

Re: Oiled Coal Odor

PostBy: Wiz On: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 pm

lsayre wrote:The light mineral oil that I tried stinks when its burned, with most of the highly ucky odor noticeable outside (particularly when its still outside), but sometimes noticeable inside as well. I still have one pail of oiled, then I'm done with it.

I'm wondering if coal that is oiled by supplier has a odor that is noticeable
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: mdrelyea On: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:16 pm

lsayre wrote:The light mineral oil that I tried stinks when its burned, with most of the highly ucky odor noticeable outside (particularly when its still outside), but sometimes noticeable inside as well. I still have one pail of oiled, then I'm done with it.

I'm using oiled coal this year for the first time. I don't have any stink - either when burning it or when it's in the bin in the basement. I definitely notice the reduction in the amount of dust though!

When they were delivering it (I purchased it from Victor Coal and Lumber which is right up the road from me) I asked the guy what they oil it with. He said they use vegetable oil. The coal is from Reading.

Mike
mdrelyea

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice/Nut

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Gale mining offers oiling of coal, and I know they use vegetable oil AND it does NOT stink when burned
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Berlin On: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 am

I'm really surprised that anyone has any stink inside or outside from oiled coal - especially using the light mineral oil. The oil produces no smell on the coal and no discernible odor during combustion. I find these reports very strange as I know no one locally that's been oiling their coal with TSC mineral oil who's had any problems either- everyone is very happy with it.

I would be VERY hesitant to use vegetable oil - this has the potential to cause problems - it's not stable when exposed to high temps and it's not in long term atmospheric exposure.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I used canola oil last year it kept the dust down but when I cleaned up in the spring I had a bad buildup of oil in the buckets and inside my indoor coal bin,hot water with lots of dish soap with lots of scrubbing to get it clean.this year I use mineral oil and so far I have had no problems with smell but I have a handfired stove and no hopper so you hopper guys may have a smell as the coal warms up but That I can't tell you.Keepaeyeonit
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 pm

I am now using Peanut Oil. I am very happy with the results. The window does not get as dirty and outside smell if far superior to the mineral oil. I am using a Wagner power Sprayer and hopefully I can demonstrate what I am doing so others will benefit. Stay tuned :!:
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 am

I am more than pleased with my new Wagner Power Painter Plus. The Plus sprays in many directions, and has no problem pushing the peanut oil. Attached are photos of it in action.
Attachments
100_3476.JPG
(161.73 KiB) Viewed 5 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
The peanut oil talked about
[nepathumb]38581[/nepathumb]
100_3473.JPG
(119.39 KiB) Viewed 5 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
The sprayer
[nepathumb]38582[/nepathumb]
100_3471.JPG