can't get enough heat out of VF3000

Re: can't get enough heat out of VF3000

PostBy: BinghamtonNY On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Gonna Chime in on this. I have a Magnum stoker and had the exact problem Hillside is having. Just a lazy fire and no heat output. Only variable was I put newly picked up coal in my stove. Same dealer as always just bought it couple months later. Once that coal got onto the fire it just killed it. I checked everything, then checked the coal. It was just COVERED in fines. So my quick solution was to put a drying rack over my ash pan and sift all the fines off it, or as much as I could.It was amazing how much came off the coal. Once that "clean" coal was feed thru it was burning like it normally does. All these symptoms sound all too similiar. Please give that a look...
BinghamtonNY

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Magnum Stoker

PostBy: Cap On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Coalkirk's Boiler Fire!

View: New PagePopup

I think I see the Blessed Mother! :o

Sorry, this is a long thread! :D
Cap

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

PostBy: bde-19547 On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:10 pm

OK, I checked the ash compartment and it was pretty clear as I expected it to be. So I emptied the bin and put in 2 bags of Centralia brand coal from Wilkes Barrie PA (says deep mined) but not really sure where or who the actual mine is but there is a big difference in the flame... now what to do with 6 ton of low performance coal?
Bryan

coalkirk wrote:
bde-19547 wrote:I too have the same problem, I can't get enough heat out of my VF3000. It has a lazy fire similar to the photo on this thread (although mine burn pretty evenly across the grate inserts. I have 1-2" band of ash before it drops off (running 2 3/4 pins). I have -.02 draft over the fire and -.04 at the chimney. Last week I cleaned the fan blades on the squirrel cage fan. The little damper on the fan is about 3/4 of the way open, (if I open it any more I get sulfur smell when it idles). The fan is seated correctly and running at what appears to be the correct speed. I also removed the grate inserts and cleaned out the fines.... there was quite a lot!. The bottom of clean-out is closed. The coal does seem to create more fines (in the little removable tray and under the grate inserts) than what I remember from before. This is the first coal I've bought from Sherman Coal Co. , Elysburg PA, Do you think the problem is the coal? or do I need to look for something else? It's really driving me nuts.

I'm assuming you previously had good results with this boiler in your home? There is a question I asked hillside a couple times that I don't believe he ever answered. In the ash compartment, there is a metal door that slides down over the area where the flue pipe exits the bottom of the boiler. Have you removed that and cleaned out the flyash behind it?
bde-19547

Stoker Coal Boiler: VF3000
Coal Size/Type: rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: KLook On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Just use it up in the fall and spring.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: dkononczuk On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Hillside,
Where in PA are you?
I travel across PA for working, so if you are close I'll be more than happy to stop by and see if I could help.
I have a VF3000 running for the past 4 years non stop 365 days and I have to turn it down because it overheats
often.
Like everybody is saying, something is just not right.
I'm heating 2 1000 sq. ft. floors, plus I have a water heater coil installed for my domestic water, and my temps drop down to maybe 150.
I have the aquastat set at about 165 most of the time.
I live in Poconos PA, so it gets cold here, house is a new construction, but very crappy job, quarter inch space between playwoods.
VF3000 is more than enough for me. When I first started burning coal people helped me (coalkirk) late a night tshooting my issues ( I had overheating issues).
Now I feel is my time to help fellow coal burned.

Dan
dkononczuk

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman VF3000

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 pm

bde-19547 wrote:OK, I checked the ash compartment and it was pretty clear as I expected it to be. So I emptied the bin and put in 2 bags of Centralia brand coal from Wilkes Barrie PA (says deep mined) but not really sure where or who the actual mine is but there is a big difference in the flame... now what to do with 6 ton of low performance coal?
Bryan

Bryan,

You can always mix it in with some new better coal. Just vary the ratio depending on outside temps.

BTW was your Dad's name George ??

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: bde-19547 On: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Rick, in regards to the BTW, no it wasn't.

Bryan

Rick 386 wrote:
bde-19547 wrote:OK, I checked the ash compartment and it was pretty clear as I expected it to be. So I emptied the bin and put in 2 bags of Centralia brand coal from Wilkes Barrie PA (says deep mined) but not really sure where or who the actual mine is but there is a big difference in the flame... now what to do with 6 ton of low performance coal?
Bryan

Bryan,

You can always mix it in with some new better coal. Just vary the ratio depending on outside temps.

BTW was your Dad's name George ??

Rick
bde-19547

Stoker Coal Boiler: VF3000
Coal Size/Type: rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000

PostBy: Hillside On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am

Hi Dan,, I live about 40 miles NW of Harrisburg, Juniata County,, small town of Richfield.
Hillside

PostBy: titleist1 On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 am

Bryan

sounds like you need a wash plant to get rid of those fines off the coal....i bet the Hoffman boys in Alaska have one they could sell you cheap....just don't depend on them to get it to you!! :D
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am

Bryan

coalkirk wrote:
bde-19547 wrote:I too have the same problem, I can't get enough heat out of my VF3000. It has a lazy fire similar to the photo on this thread (although mine burn pretty evenly across the grate inserts. I have 1-2" band of ash before it drops off (running 2 3/4 pins). I have -.02 draft over the fire and -.04 at the chimney. Last week I cleaned the fan blades on the squirrel cage fan. The little damper on the fan is about 3/4 of the way open, (if I open it any more I get sulfur smell when it idles). The fan is seated correctly and running at what appears to be the correct speed. I also removed the grate inserts and cleaned out the fines.... there was quite a lot!. The bottom of clean-out is closed. The coal does seem to create more fines (in the little removable tray and under the grate inserts) than what I remember from before. This is the first coal I've bought from Sherman Coal Co. , Elysburg PA, Do you think the problem is the coal? or do I need to look for something else? It's really driving me nuts.

I'm assuming you previously had good results with this boiler in your home? There is a question I asked hillside a couple times that I don't believe he ever answered. In the ash compartment, there is a metal door that slides down over the area where the flue pipe exits the bottom of the boiler. Have you removed that and cleaned out the flyash behind it?

Centralia is pretty good coal. I had some stove coal from them for my hand and it was excellent. White/green woven bag.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 am

dkononczuk wrote:Hillside,
Where in PA are you?
I travel across PA for working, so if you are close I'll be more than happy to stop by and see if I could help.
I have a VF3000 running for the past 4 years non stop 365 days and I have to turn it down because it overheats
often.
Like everybody is saying, something is just not right.
I'm heating 2 1000 sq. ft. floors, plus I have a water heater coil installed for my domestic water, and my temps drop down to maybe 150.
I have the aquastat set at about 165 most of the time.
I live in Poconos PA, so it gets cold here, house is a new construction, but very crappy job, quarter inch space between playwoods.
VF3000 is more than enough for me. When I first started burning coal people helped me (coalkirk) late a night tshooting my issues ( I had overheating issues).
Now I feel is my time to help fellow coal burned.

Dan

Now we're talkin'. Another set of eyes is always a good idea, especially if they belong to someone that runs the same boiler.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 am

So what's up Hillside? Did dkononczuk come by and check it out?
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: KLook On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Bump it up, I want to know to Coalkirk!!!

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Hillside On: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 am

Sorry I haven't gotten back to reply. The temps here in the area have been in the 30's so I am not sure if I have made improvements or not as the boiler kept up at those temps before. At least for the time being it is getting to temp and shutting down now. When the temps drop I will let everyone know how it is working.. I did everything everyone suggested. I really appreciate the replies and imformation...
Hillside

PostBy: Wiz On: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 am

could a bad aquastat or thermostat control cause low fire... Sorry if it was mention still haven't had my morning coffee... It seems Hillside has tried draft suggestions, but not much mention on electric part.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Visit Lehigh Anthracite