DS 1500/1600WH ANY PROBLEMS?

DS 1500/1600WH ANY PROBLEMS?

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Looking at these DS MACHINES, any body have bad expieriences with them? Looking for a 12-14hr hurn time between shake downs while heating 2200sqft ranch. And hopefully 24-36hr burns at lower temps if out of town for a day. THX
ridgeracing

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1600WH

Re: DS 1500/1600WH ANY PROBLEMS?

PostBy: LDPosse On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 am

The only problem is that you haven't bought one yet! :P
LDPosse

Stove/Furnace Make: DS Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1500, Kozy King 100

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:26 am

LDPosse wrote:The only problem is that you haven't bought one yet! :P

This. Stop procrastinating and buy one.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

lol :D
ridgeracing

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm

I joined the club! DS1600WH getting delivered Wednesday!
ridgeracing

PostBy: LDPosse On: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Awesome, congrats!! Make sure you get pics of the install!

:up:
LDPosse

Stove/Furnace Model: DS1500, Kozy King 100

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 am

Nice, welcome to the club. Take lots of pictures.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: Rex On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Love our DS.. Enjoy yours!
Rex

Stove/Furnace Make: D.S. Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: Circulator 1500

PostBy: Jersey John On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 pm

ridgeracing wrote:Looking at these DS MACHINES, any body have bad expieriences with them? Looking for a 12-14hr hurn time between shake downs while heating 2200sqft ranch. And hopefully 24-36hr burns at lower temps if out of town for a day. THX

Wanted to report how immensely satisfied I too am with my purchase of the DS 1500 Circulator...

Still learning how to keep it going through different temperature changes. Have easily gotten 12-14 hour burns with no tending at all...but there is a very fine line between setting it up to burn for 18+ hours and snuffing it out before it can. I've managed to have it extinguish itself 3X now..during a time that I knew I could see nothing but blue flames and a bed of hot coal.

Having exchanged a few PM with LDPosse, I'm hoping others will chime in and give me their advice about the actual shake down/refill process. Based on the instructions, I am to shake it lightly twice a day. Only when I do so, I can't actually say that much is dropping down on the first shake. Yet if I over shake, hot coals drop into the pan. By the time the bed is quite full, and I try to shake, I can't tell if I'm shaking it enough....and usually find later that for some reason, the fire has extinguished itself, with a full bed of spent coal.

I'm sure this learning curve will remedy itself in time...once we have a consistent level of cold weather. At the moment it's in the high 50s and raining. Quite a contrast to last November after Hurricane Sandy and a blast of winter snow. I'm rather enjoying the slow onset of cold weather, but feel so more prepared than ever before. Earlier this week, while temps dipped to 20, my house was a cozy 68 degrees and with the wood stove in the living room, was quite unbearable at 75!

I therefore bow to your expertise for sharing the finite control that you have from many years of coal burning...
Jersey John

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Sounds like you may have a poor draft. I have burnt mine for 48hrs straight without touching it and come alive after adding coal, increasing intake draft and then shaking down after it fires up better. If it is snuffing out at 18hrs, either its running wide open and running out of coal or its loosing draft and burning out. I would make sure your chimney is clean and leak free. Your stove should be able to run atleast 12-18hrs at wide open (600deg. stove temp) on a full load with hopper.
ridgeracing

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 am

ridgeracing wrote:Sounds like you may have a poor draft. I have burnt mine for 48hrs straight without touching it and come alive after adding coal, increasing intake draft and then shaking down after it fires up better. If it is snuffing out at 18hrs, either its running wide open and running out of coal or its loosing draft and burning out. I would make sure your chimney is clean and leak free. Your stove should be able to run atleast 12-18hrs at wide open (600deg. stove temp) on a full load with hopper.

I have to agree. There is definitely something else at play here. I've had no problem turning my stove down to 157* and keeping it lit. When I'm running the stove low I don't bother shaking down twice a day either. But when I do shake down I make sure I open the air up and give a chance to breathe. For instance, I had turned my stove down on Wednesday night to about 200* after filling up at around 18:00. I didn't shake down and refill it until last night at around 20:00.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: ridgeracing On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm

I had to laugh at military time 18:00, 22:00.
My wife gets pissed when I say it, confuses the hell out of her! USAF
ridgeracing

PostBy: 07roadstar On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 pm

After retiring from the Navy in 2006 (20 Years). My wife still knows military time. 8-)
07roadstar

Stove/Furnace Model: Basement #4 DS-2200

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Jersey John wrote:By the time the bed is quite full, and I try to shake, I can't tell if I'm shaking it enough....and usually find later that for some reason, the fire has extinguished itself, with a full bed of spent coal.

What do you mean by a full bed of spent coal? Do you mean it is burned up, nothing left?

Regarding shaking.....Gunny Highway said it best.... if you shake it more than once, that's pleasure and we're not in that business.... 8-)
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: cmk9180 On: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm

GUNNERY SERGEANT HIGHWAY. IVE DRANK MORE BEER, PISSED MORE BLOOD, BANGED MORE QUIFF AND BUSTED MORE BALLS THAN ALL YOU NUMBNUTS PUT TOGETHER!!! I love Heartbreak Ridge. It's one of my favourite movies!!! Imma have to watch it now. :-)
cmk9180

Stove/Furnace Make: Woodchuck
Stove/Furnace Model: 4000

Visit Hitzer Stoves