soot on mica?

soot on mica?

PostBy: tcalo On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

I posted this comment in another thread but thought I would get a better response here. The stove petered out the other night (wife was in charge...lol). Good timing, the weather warmed up a bit, decided to give it a good cleaning. I switched to wood today just to take the chill out. Weather is supposed to stay warm the next 2 days so looks like I'll be burning wood. I've been getting a nasty soot buildup on my mica when burning wood. I spoke with Larry T about this issue and he told me the wood is probably green. Hard to believe, it's been sitting well over a year? Another member suggested using ash to clean the soot off the glass. The ash trick works wonders, but it tends to ruin the mica. It can't take much abuse. I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem? I was thinking about getting a custom piece of glass made for my Chubby hoping it would hold up better than the mica, probably big bucks! I suppose my options are burn the wood and get the soot. Burn the coal and sweat. Or let the oil burner kick on in warmer temps. What to do, what to do? I may just keep a spare set of mica for when I burn wood.
tcalo

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Re: soot on mica?

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Did you try newspaper? I wipe my glass off with newspaper, cleans it rather well. Sometimes I burn the paper but the I have to reclean the glass.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: tcalo On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Do you use the newspaper wet or dry? I assume you are using it on glass? I am dealing with mica, a bit fragile. Thanks for the advice... :D
tcalo

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

The mica is very brittle I would try something soft like a damp paper towel and gently see what you get. I just replaced the mica in my stove and will be watching to find out what works for you, good luck.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: tcalo On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm

echos67 wrote:The mica is very brittle I would try something soft like a damp paper towel and gently see what you get. I just replaced the mica in my stove and will be watching to find out what works for you, good luck.

Thanks echos67, I've tried just a damp towel. It does get most of the soot off but I have to clean it often. If I let it go for several hours then it gets baked on the mica and nearly imposible to get off, thats where the ash comes in. It works, but destroys the mica.
tcalo

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm

tcalo wrote:
echos67 wrote:The mica is very brittle I would try something soft like a damp paper towel and gently see what you get. I just replaced the mica in my stove and will be watching to find out what works for you, good luck.

Thanks echos67, I've tried just a damp towel. It does get most of the soot off but I have to clean it often. If I let it go for several hours then it gets baked on the mica and nearly imposible to get off, thats where the ash comes in. It works, but destroys the mica.

Cover the mica on the inside with foil for the wood burning and remove when going back to coal, just a thought to maybe keep it clean ?
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: tcalo On: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 pm

I like that idea. Might have to give it a try. Thanks!
tcalo

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:30 am

Anytime you use wood to start your fires, your windows are going to get all covered with crud. Even dry wood will still cause it. You should use charcoal to start your fires with. It will be much cleaner and the windows will be much easier to clean. If I use wood, I cover the loading door on the inside with aluminum foil.
This is how I clean my windows. Get a soft rag that you will dedicate to this purpose, then get some Windex. Warm soapy water works just fine as well. Wet the cloth and gently rub it on the window. The dirt will come off. You can do this even when the stove is going. The best time is when the fire is cool obviously. Mica is very easy to clean, but; delicate as well. It is also very cheap to replace and you should have a few extra panes on hand just in case.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: g13nw00d-man On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 am

Here is how I clean the mica on the stoves I have owned (soot or just fly ash that sticks to it). I take one piece of paper towel fold it a couple of times and roll it (so its like a cigar). soak one end of the "cigar" with alcohol and begin scrubbing/wiping. If there is alot of soot it will loosen the but kinda smeer it so then use the other end of the cigar soaked with fresh alcohol which should make it crystal clear. I do this as william said when the stove is kinda cooler as to not thermal shock the mica. I like the alcohol as it breaks down the gunk and it evaporates quick.
(Disclaimer,Disclaimer I have had no issues but remember you have alcohol around an open flame, Disclaimer,Disclaimer)
g13nw00d-man

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: #6 Base Heater

PostBy: franco b On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

I take one paper towel and brace the mica on the outside while using another paper towel with Rutland glass cleaner on the inside. The Rutland cleaner works very well for wood soot.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm

One thing that helps when starting a fire with wood is to let the front door/s opened a little to allow an air curtain flow betwen the mica and the fume so the fume goes to the flue as fast as possible.
When needing to clean the mica, I open the door and if the stove is burning, I place a foil on the opening, wait a few minutes to let the mica and the mica's support get cool then take a wet paper towel to clean the mica and have a dry one to finish the job.
Mica is fragile and it's better to use a soft paper/towel...to clean them.
Be shure to use CLEAN water to clean your mica :lol:
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

A soft cloth works better than paper towels. Paper towels will slowly scratch the mica over time. Soap, water or some Windex and a cloth. That's all you need.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: Tim On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm

well the best way so far i have found for cleaning the mica is to NEVER do it while the mica is HOT....when I start my wood fire I cover the load door (mica windows) with a aluminum foil doubled until I establish a good coal fire then remove the foil if ya do this the coal fire will take a long time to dirty the panes but when it is time I use NOVUS plastic polish and a terry cloth towel to clean of the crud and shine them back up.....if you open up the draft and let the load door open for a few minutes to let the panes cool down and with a gentle touch the NOVUS works awesome!...i found this one because i was tryin to find something that wouldnt make my mica delaminate like other products i tried have and my boys had a bottle of NOVUS settin on the shelf...they use it on there 4-Wheeler plastics and figured what the heck...well it works great..the solvents have not hurt the mica at all and my panes are nice and clear.
Tim

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30

PostBy: Mossylog On: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi,
After breaking and replacing several panes of mica in our antique parlor stove trying to keep them clean enough to watch the fire, we found that they clean amazingly easy if we spray the panes with a light coat of clear silicon spray after we clean them.
Now we just wipe or spray a little degreaser on them (Simple Green is great) and rinse the doors under the faucet or wipe them VERY gently. The soot seems to fall off!
Our antique Amherst burner has three sides with mica glass doors, 22 panes on the front and 15 panes on each side. A real pain to clean at first!! But oh, so beautiful to watch the logs or coals burning and warming our home!
Now we just start the morning with a quick rinse and wipe of each door, then re-spray of the clear silicon before we light it for the day.
Hope this helps :)
Mossylog

Baseburners & Antiques: Amherst Parlor Stove

PostBy: Coal-Chub-E On: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I had the exact same problem with my chubby. I fixed it by opening the stove up all the way and burn that wood as hot as you can get it, that mica will be clean in no time!!

Dont worry about it overheating, I burned seaoned red oak with the air vents completely open for days and hours and only manged about 475 degrees on the stove. Opened any less and the wood does more smoldering than burning. (ohhh, my top round air vents were closed)

Hope this helps.

Eric
Coal-Chub-E

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Stove/Furnace Make: Chubby Coal Stove

Visit Hitzer Stoves