When do you shut down and clean stoker?

When do you shut down and clean stoker?

PostBy: Lee1 On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello, Just wondering when you shut down and clean out stoker. I believe I heard after you run about 1000 #s of coal through?
Lee1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3

Re: When do you shut down and clean stoker?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:45 pm

End of season for me. If I can help it and don't have some sort of brain fart that lets my stoker go out, it's the end of season.
Not familiar with your stoker but the Harman has a slide lever under the grates that allows you to dump accumulated fly ash while running. There is also a fines tray to remove coal fines dropped out during the operation of the pusher block. I clean out the vent pipe about 4-5 times during the season but can also do that while operating. I run through 10,000# + or - of coal per season.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:48 pm

The big concern is the flue pipe because of the fly ash. That will eventually block it. How often to clean it?

Depends... Some coal produces more fly ash, different size flue pipes, etc. I know most manufacturers recommend once a month but most people get by with doing it yearly. Other options include using a T instead of elbow at the end or horizontal runs. This will give you easy access with vacuum cleaner.

Me personally, it never gets shut down but I can easily access all of the flue pipe to get the ash out and my pipe is so big it could probably go for 2 or 3 years.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: CoaLen On: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Pretty much the same here. I'll occasionally do a quick vacuuming of the vent pipe and fan when we get a warmish day and the furnace is on idle, but it runs nonstop 'til the end of the season.
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:47 am

I have a koker and I shut her down and do a full cleaning (including all pipes and flue) every 6 weeks or my draft starts to fall.
jrn8265

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 am

I clean mine on a calm day sometime in January and at the end of the season.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 am

What kind of stoker are you talking about? a stoker stove or a boiler?
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am

mattcoalburner wrote:What kind of stoker are you talking about? a stoker stove or a boiler?

Looks like the original poster has an Alaska stoker stove. The stoves require much more frequent cleanings than a boiler...especially the larger units.
Rob R.

Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: coalkirk On: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

jrn8265 wrote:I have a koker and I shut her down and do a full cleaning (including all pipes and flue) every 6 weeks or my draft starts to fall.

If you replace your 90 degree elbows with T's you can clean the pipes at will without shutting down. I can't amagine a vertical flue would need to be cleaned much. The flyash falls to the bottom.

taped joints.jpg
(101.72 KiB) Viewed 15 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38499[/nepathumb]

This pic doesn't show it but there is also a T at the bottom where the pipe comes out of the boiler. You can clean out all the flyash in a couple minutes without ever shutting down.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: Lee1 On: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for your comments, Ill probably shut down (alaska) stoker about every 6 six weeks, clean, oil and blow out power venter.
Lee1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3

PostBy: hcarlow On: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 pm

It sounds like the Harman has a very nice system for cleaning under the pusher block etc. .
I open up the clean out door on top of the 110 every couple of weeks and vacuum out the ash build up ( takes only a couple minutes ) and check the flu pipe which is still fine after burning for 2 months now and this can be done without a shut down . I did take off the front access panel today and vacuumed that area of ash build up, again no shut down required .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: Wiz On: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:22 pm

If you replace your 90 degree elbows with T's you can clean the pipes at will without shutting down. I can't amagine a vertical flue would need to be cleaned much. The flyash falls to the bottom.

IShutting stove down tomorrow for complete cleaning. Burnt 3 ton so we'll see how dirty it might be.. Might even add T's too
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: rubicondave33 On: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

I run year-round for DHW purposes but I shut down for cleaning typically once in late winter (a mild day) then again in the mid-fall.
rubicondave33

Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Visit Lehigh Anthracite