Hopper fire!

Re: Hopper fire!

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 am

Bratkinson wrote:While I haven't gotten a hopper fire yet, I have had an occassion with CO into the house, setting off alarms on all 3 floors.

Happened when the outside temps were above 50 or so and I had dialed back the reostat to about 1.5 on the dial. Only a very small flame at that level. Problem is my 60+ year old brick chimney apparently doesn't vent too well. Last season, when it warmed up, I simply put tin foil over the baro and taped it. Solved the problem in my case.

Sometimes you can get away with that on a week chimney but not recommended, especially not with a powervent no matter what brand stove. You would be better off using a little more coal and raising the idle with no convection fan putting some more heat into the chimney. Or fixing the chimney.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: whistlenut On: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 am

Listen to Dave and the others......don't get sooooo economical that you burn the house down.....or have a hopper fire. If you experience one, you won't EVER want that to happen again!!! Or have CO detectors screaming at you..... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Here's another thread to read:

Alaska Channing III Need Help Very Nervous

It gets interesting around page 3. Another member here had issues using a power vent. He was running the power vent too fast pulling too much draft.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 pm

whistlenut wrote:Listen to Dave and the others......don't get sooooo economical that you burn the house down.....or have a hopper fire. If you experience one, you won't EVER want that to happen again!!! Or have CO detectors screaming at you..... :idea:

I do a lot of science experiments with the stove at the house occasionally one will not go as planned. Well i can say my wife can be louder than the CO detector. :D
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Visit Lehigh Anthracite