Jr Chubby

Jr Chubby

PostBy: the snowman On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:35 am

Ok, I just found another stove to add to my growing collection. I saw a Jr Chubby that had come up for sale and after talking to the owner we worked out a price the both of us could live with. I purchased the stove today. Actually, I made out the best, the stove was so very cheap. Larry Trainer produced the stove in 1979. One small minor detail, I had to drive 600 miles round trip to pick up the stove. No problem except the return trip involved a snow storm and very poor road conditions. The last 176 miles I had to run the truck in four wheel drive. The road and blowing/drifting snow was that bad. A trip that should have taken only a little over eleven hours including loading the stove and small talk with the owner turned into a nineteen hour trip.

The stove only needs new door gaskets, a good cleaning including stove polish for the cast and a fresh coat of paint on the stove body. What is the best stove paint to use? The grate, grate support and fire pot look in great condition. The pics do not do it justice. I will probably start getting it cleaned up sometime next week. I had thought about removing my 507 from service just to try out the Jr, however, I can't seem to make myself do that. So, I will get it all cleaned up and it will take its place next to the Jotul 507's I currently have in my collection. I thought since I already have a Chubby Sr, it was only right to purchase the Jr also. It is a nice good looking small stove. The owner stated the stove had only burned wood. This was good news. I will fire the stove once it is finished. I will take it outside and fire the stove to bake the paint and set the gaskets. I have included a couple pics. I will take more pics later when it is not so late. Until then enjoy the pics.

The snowman.
Attachments
DSCN4080.JPG
(179.39 KiB) Viewed 319 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39053[/nepathumb]
DSCN4084.JPG
(191.84 KiB) Viewed 47 times
[nepathumb]39054[/nepathumb]
DSCN4087.JPG
(135.63 KiB) Viewed 42 times
[nepathumb]39055[/nepathumb]
the snowman

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Re: Jr Chubby

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:45 am

Great looking stove ... And you're called the snowman soooo wasn't that trip a bit ironic ;) lol

Glad you came through it safe. I am sure it was a very stressful Drive. I have made a few long trips in snow storms before going very slow and it's very very stressful.
Smokeyja

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut

PostBy: the snowman On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:39 am

smokeyja,

Thanks. I guess it is a bit ironic. I actually love driving in the snow and anything snow related. It wasn't the road conditions or the drifting snow but the other drivers who were spinning out on the highway. I was concerned a few times the vehicle going out of control in front of me or beside me would make contact with my truck. I would hate to see the Jr get damaged in an accident before I had a chance to clean it up and test fire it. Everyone was in a hurry to pass each other just to find four state plows plowing the road in front of us and no way of going around them. I did watch a suv try to pass the plows just to spin out into the median. I will post more pics as I progress with the stove, however, that will not be until next week. I hope these few pics will be enough to hold everyone over until the arrival of new update pics.

The snowman.
the snowman

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: blizzard87 On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 am

Nice score. It's nice to see a old stove in that great of shape, and not abused. I am going to look at a blower chubby but by looks of pics it has not been as lucky as yours but will see how the inside is and how low the seller will go. If all goes well it will be my second and won't be the last.
blizzard87

Stove/Furnace Make: coal chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: large chubby

PostBy: echos67 On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 am

Congrats on the stove, the Chubby's are good looking stoves (and some here as you know swear by them).

I always enjoy a long road trip to pick up items, my Glenwood was in RI and if it weren't for the tolls it would had been great to drive it from MD.

Like yourself I love the snow and love driving in it, too bad other drivers don't use common sense when doing so.

The paint I use around here is from ACE Hardware and called "Stove Bright" it is rated to 1200* and the Metallic Black is a good choice for stoves but it comes in other colors as well.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: the snowman On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

blizzard87, don't forget to take a good look at the blower tubes that run through the stove. I have the blower model and according to Larry, to replace the pot the tubes have to be cut out and then welded back in place. The tubes in my stove are thick and heavy, however, it doesn't mean they can not rot out with neglect. I hope the Chubby you look at is fixable. Keep us posted on your find.

echos67, thanks for the info on the paint. I have some cheap stove paint, however, I don't want to use it. I think I will stick with the black color for this stove. I have enough stove polish for the cast pieces and will pick up the paint as soon as I get to the hardware store.

I need to contact Larry to purchase a new piece of mica for the door. The existing one looks like it has had something pushed against it. It is still intact, however, since I am going to clean up the stove, a new mica should be installed. I will replace the existing shaker rod. I had made a new one for my Chubby Sr with a spring handle on it to make shaking easier which also allows me to shake the stove without a glove on so I will do the same for this stove. I wish I had an empty chimney to hook this stove into so I could do some extended burn tests. Right now it is too cold outside to let my 507 go out just to test the Jr. I should have put a tee in the pipe from the 507 so I could hook up another stove without shutting down the 507. It would make testing another stove easy. Just thinking out loud.

the snowman
the snowman

PostBy: blizzard87 On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks Snowman i will check them out.
blizzard87

Stove/Furnace Make: coal chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: large chubby

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Bravo for the stove snowman! That stove looks very good and in great shape too. Waiting for the next photos when you can.
The stupid drivers are more dangerous than many (but not all) peoples having arms.
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Snowman
Congrats on getting a JR!! 12 hour burns are a breeze with these Jr's and they will cruise right along at 450f + as well. They are simply idiot proof and as I have said before I am living proof of that! :lol:

The best paint is here... http://www.stovepaint.com/ Made right here in Taxachusetts and it is also the paint Larry uses on Chubby's. They do make other colors besides black. We are going have our Jr done in either a Red or Hunter green. (for the body) Waiting for "She Who Must be Obeyed" to declare her color intentions. :oops:

Congrats again! If you need any help feel free to email me.
ONEDOLLAR

Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: tcalo On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey Snowman, congrats and welcome to our Chubby Cult! I'd like to see a picture of the shaker handle you made with the spring on it. Sounds interesting.
tcalo

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I second the Shaker Handle idea as well. Whip one up for your JR and then I will take one as well!
ONEDOLLAR

Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:19 pm

The paint recommandation from onedollar is a good one. I used the same for the Sunnyside :)
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: the snowman On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Jr update:

Ok, so I have dismantled the Jr and sanded the entire body of the stove. Last night after finishing work in the shop I polished the doors, feet , top and air inlet valve with stove polish. This afternoon I painted the body and reassembled the stove. I was going to use the paint one dollar suggested, however, I was at the local hardware store this morning and decided to purchase it there instead. I have to take the spring handle off of the doors to do something with them, install new door gaskets, a new piece of mica and make a new shaker handle. I will probably make one similar to the design I made for my Sr Chubby. As soon as I make the handle I will post pics of that as well. So, for now I will post a couple of pics of the stove as of today. I did notice my camera has a water spot or something on the lens so any spots on the pics are from the camera.

The snowman
Attachments
jr chubby1.jpg
(107.56 KiB) Viewed 91 times
[nepathumb]39282[/nepathumb]
jr chubby3.jpg
(85.59 KiB) Viewed 76 times
[nepathumb]39284[/nepathumb]
the snowman

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 pm

gratz on the great stove (im curious what you paid?), Im sure your aware of this already but im giving you the link just incase
http://www.chubbystove.com/Pages/Chubby%20stove%20co.htm
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.

I think Larry as well as most the manufacturers around here used stovebright paints if you want to get technical but frankly it doesn't matter much and im sure any quality stove paint with a high temp rating is fine.
(Metallic Charcoal is indeed the color to go with) it always held up better then strait black!
Im seriously thinking about making a trip to Maine for a stove (after reading your story maybe ill wait till spring) :shock:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: the snowman On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

dcrane,

I went with the straight black because I wanted the sharp contrast between the metallic look of the top, feet and doors to the body of the stove. This stove is not slated to be pressed into service, it will be added to my collection of coal stoves. I do plan on taking it outside to fire it on some wood to see how the stove burns. The stove will have an easy idle life from this point on.

The snowman.
the snowman

Visit Hitzer Stoves