Internal dampers and manometers

Internal dampers and manometers

PostBy: Ctyankee On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 pm

My fireplace insert has an internal damper which is always closed during normal running. I installed a manometer this year to confirm that I have positive pressure in the house at all times. The reading I get are from 0.07 on the warmest days with a low burn, to 0.14 on cold days with stove temp around 350. These reading are much higher than what have been posted for an efficient burn. So does the damper, by restricting the air flow out of the stove, create a lower pressure in the pipe than what is actually over the fire?
Ctyankee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Internal dampers and manometers

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Those are pipe readings? Try a reading where the combustion air is going in when the damper is closed :)
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Ctyankee,welcome to the world of a insert,I don't have the answer to your question but my readings are close to yours(my readings are taken 6" above the outlet) but without a baro that's what you get(I had one on my stove but had to remove it so I could put a liner in to get me through this year,having a major draft problem)but when I reconfigure my setup next year I will have a baro in place.I think one member had Hitzer make him a bigger restrictor plate for his 983 because he had to much draft so do a search to see if you can find it.Keepaeyeonit
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

PostBy: Ctyankee On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm

Yes, those are pipe reading Lightning. Thanks for the tip regarding checking the reading at the intake. I will have to rig up something so I can do it without moving the manometer, but it would be interesting to see what the readings are.

If my reading are close to yours Keepaeyeonit, I guess I'm in the ball park. I was using about 40 to 50lb a day last year and that didn't seem like it was too far off of what others were using all things being equal (which they never are). I start thinking about a manual or barometric damper inline over this season depending on what sort of reading I get at the intake.

thanks for the input
Ctyankee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Ctyankee,It's hard to put a baro on a insert but I had room for one,it took some doing but I got it(this was setup for the last two years
DSC00973.JPG
(73.31 KiB) Viewed 7 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39212[/nepathumb]
DSC00998.JPG
(121.97 KiB) Viewed 4 times
[nepathumb]39213[/nepathumb]
but now it has a 8'' SS liner I needed to temporarily fix a cold leaky outside chimney.
My readings are high compared to last year but my coal usage is not that bad(#2100 for 52 days of heating)but it's not cold here yet
IMG_1472.JPG
(137.67 KiB) Viewed 17 times
[nepathumb]39214[/nepathumb]
IMG_1474.JPG
(87.62 KiB) Viewed 10 times
[nepathumb]39215[/nepathumb]
I have a plan for my chimney fix after I reline with round clay and insulate it,I think I am going to use black stove pipe right to the clay so it can be removed in the spring and store it in a dry place plus I think it will keep me from getting caught with me pants down like I did this fall :oops: .Keepaeyeonit :)
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump