Glenwood 6 Restoration

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Looking good man, I am curious why the vents in the hearth?
grumpy

PostBy: echos67 On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:52 pm

grumpy wrote:Looking good man, I am curious why the vents in the hearth?

I wasn't sure if I would even need them since i didnt measure the temps at the bottom of the stove when it is in base heater mode, i should have done that last year when it was running :oops: . I figured if I do need them for some air flow it would be easier to put them in at the time of the build plus it gives me more gadgets to jack around with too :lol: .

Maybe some small computer fans inside later to see if it pulls cold air towards the stove.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 pm

Just looked over this thread. Nice job!
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:Just looked over this thread. Nice job!

Thanks, I still have a few items to finish up but it is getting closer.
echos67

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 pm

I started the 6 again today around noon, filled the pot to just below the top maybe an inch or so below, i am still wanting to watch the stove and how it and the new surroundings act with the heat. So far so good but it will be much better when the smell is gone completely. I turned the t-stat for the gas boiler down to 68 and the temps in the house already rose so I cut the stove air down and opened the mpd some but it's still in base heater mode cruising along. After this fire I will let it sit idle again until I have the nickel and the remaining trim items on the hearth finished.

The triple wall flue seems to be drafting very well but I would like to add another 3' to its length and I need to find or make some band clamps for it as well as better secure it outside.
echos67

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm

2013 Fire -3.jpg
(36.09 KiB) Viewed 13 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39225[/nepathumb]
echos67

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Nice! We got some really cold weather coming this way for t he next few days. Jan deep freeze. Be a good test for my two. :D
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: echos67 On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:58 pm

I bet your 2 Glenwoods will shine and keep you nice and comfy through that cold spell.

Send some cold this way Steve, and some snow too ! Currently it is 38 outside and smoking hot inside here, 83 at the stove end and 80 at the opposite end where the wife and i are. I have had the dampers all but closed off, the mpd almost fully open, the over fire air open and I just took it out of base heater mode. Even the wife said it is too hot in here :shock: . The stove is running at 200* all day and it must be because it is on the first floor this year instead of being in the unfinished basement that its so warm ?
echos67

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

echos67 wrote:I bet your 2 Glenwoods will shine and keep you nice and comfy through that cold spell.

Send some cold this way Steve, and some snow too ! Currently it is 38 outside and smoking hot inside here, 83 at the stove end and 80 at the opposite end where the wife and i are. I have had the dampers all but closed off, the mpd almost fully open, the over fire air open and I just took it out of base heater mode. Even the wife said it is too hot in here :shock: . The stove is running at 200* all day and it must be because it is on the first floor this year instead of being in the unfinished basement that its so warm ?

Yep Keith, I think that is going to make a huge differance. Think about all that heat that was needed to soak those basement walls before sending any up stairs! You are going to amazed at the differance having that Bad Boy up stairs on the main floor!

It's currently 9° with a wind chill right at 0. Tonight talking -8 and tomorrow through Sat, all highs of low teens or single digits and lows of below zero. Should be a good test!

Right now after running both at about 400°all day, the house is right at 71° and 65° upstairs in the far bedroom. That feels like 80°to me ;) . I'm gonna set em up for about 450° on the MO116 and 400°on the 208C range and see what we got in the morning. :D
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 am

You probably won't use the gas central heat very much anymore.
Now, see how those new blinds blend in with the tile and don't detract from the stove? Once you paint the windows then you will be very pleased I think. Notice also how the stove just fits right in there and it looks completely natural? Everyone who sees it will be very impressed, but; that's not the point, the point is that you have made that yours. Made it with your own hand and it looks brilliant.
wsherrick

Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: echos67 On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:32 am

William your suggestion of the blinds color was spot on and they tie in well with the tile. The wife likes the trim as is so I want to get another piece of metal and paint it and slap it up there so she can see how the paint will look.

I may move the stove out towards the front another 4" to 8" to get a little more clearance, right now I have 24" to the non combustible wall on either side.

By the way when in base heater mode they do put substantial heat (didn't measure with ir) to the floor below them and mine was only around 200* when running.

Steve, how was the am temps today ?
echos67

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 am

Very good job Keith, the little black seems to be very satisfied of the results :)
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: wsherrick On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am

Just tell her. If Uncle William was right about the blinds then he must be right about the paint too. I bet that will fly over like a lead balloon.
wsherrick

Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: echos67 On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 am

:D
echos67

PostBy: echos67 On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I decided to give the Hardi Board a seat of the pants heat test today, I used a mapp gas torch to apply the heat to the area shown. From my research mapp gas is around 2020* mixed with air, I am still out of oxygen or I would have used the oxy-actylene tanks too. The area was glowing orange and it took about 30 seconds before I even began to feel a small amount of heat transfer to the back of the Hardi. The cooling was very quick on both sides.
Pretty impressive material.

Hardi Board.jpg
(116.14 KiB) Viewed 7 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39364[/nepathumb]
echos67

Visit Hitzer Stoves