The Cold Weather Is Here!

Re: The Cold Weather Is Here!

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 am

It is a brisk start to 2013. 10 degrees, clear, and windy. Boiler is running a lot, but still keeping up. I keep looking for a reason to bump up the feed rate and really let it rip...but it is still shouldering the load.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: hcarlow On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 am

Had a low of 6 during the past 24 hrs. and quite windy as well , the temp now is 25 but very cold weather coming in tonight with the wind chill factor to boot . The 110 is doing a great job . I fill up every morning around 7 am and it took 50 lbs. this morning with an average of 44 lbs per day for Dec. .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: sterling40man On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am

13* and very windy right now. Supposed to be close to -30* wind chill overnight. The house is a nice 72*. :D
sterling40man

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

PostBy: joeq On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Lucky guy, it's almost 30* here.Suppose to go down to single digits in a few days tho....after I go back to work, from a week and a 1/2 vacation. NNOOOOOOOOO!!
joeq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm

sterling40man wrote:13* and very windy right now. Supposed to be close to -30* wind chill overnight. The house is a nice 72*. :D

Coast too Sterling. Reading 9° and about 0 with the WC. Both Glenwood's running at about 400° most of the day and the old house is 71°. That's awesome for this old place. Next few days through Sat are looking like a Jan. deep freeze of the old fashioned type. (single digit or low teen highs, and below 0 lows) Bring It! ;)
Gonna set the stoves up for about 450° over night and see what we got in the morn.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:00 pm

hcarlow wrote:Had a low of 6 during the past 24 hrs. and quite windy as well , the temp now is 25 but very cold weather coming in tonight with the wind chill factor to boot . The 110 is doing a great job . I fill up every morning around 7 am and it took 50 lbs. this morning with an average of 44 lbs per day for Dec. .

That's pretty good, What size space are you heating with it?
SteveZee

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 am

7 degrees here this morning. That's the coldest we have been so far here in these parts of Ohio. High of 24 predicted. About 70 lbs. of coal to be consumed today per my spreadsheet and chart.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 am

Was 14, up to 16 degrees now.
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: Dann757 On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am

Was 19, up to 22 now. Glad the coal fire made it through the night, just had to get a bucket to refresh it, much better than finding it out in the morning.
Dann757

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 am

1° this morning without windchill. House hangin in nicely with both stoves at 450°. :D
SteveZee

PostBy: Pacowy On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am

Rob R. wrote:It is a brisk start to 2013. 10 degrees, clear, and windy. Boiler is running a lot, but still keeping up. I keep looking for a reason to bump up the feed rate and really let it rip...but it is still shouldering the load.

I'll take bets on whether Rob is still at 4 teeth Thursday morning (forecast -16 deg), or whether he's going to wait until it gets really cold. :lol:

Mike
Pacowy

Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Pacowy wrote:I'll take bets on whether Rob is still at 4 teeth Thursday morning (forecast -16 deg), or whether he's going to wait until it gets really cold.

Can I bet on myself? I am optimistic that the EFM will handle the cold as it sits...even if it does start saying "I think I can..I think I can....I think I can......"
Rob R.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

-18 windchill at the moment...lots of clicking in the basement.
Rob R.

PostBy: lsayre On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 pm

12 degrees here presently. Heading to 3 degrees here tonight per Weather Underground.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: Pacowy On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Rob R. wrote:-18 windchill at the moment...lots of clicking in the basement.

Is it able to take a breather once in a while, or are you planning to work it like a rented mule just to win your bet? :lol: You know I'd vote to give it the "smoking door" treatment, but you seem to like testing the limits.

Mike
Pacowy

Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite