The End of 2012

Re: The End of 2012

PostBy: hcarlow On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm

I have food on the table , nice warm house , and another year above ground so I will say it's been a good year . There is always something good to find if you look hard enough . I had a friend I worked with years ago who's favorite saying every morning we met at work " isn't this a great day ". It didn't matter if it was raining , snowing , or what had happened the day before he always had a positive outlook on life no matter what . What a great world this might be if we could all have such an outlook .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:38 pm

hcarlow wrote:I have food on the table , nice warm house , and another year above ground so I will say it's been a good year . There is always something good to find if you look hard enough . I had a friend I worked with years ago who's favorite saying every morning we met at work " isn't this a great day ". It didn't matter if it was raining , snowing , or what had happened the day before he always had a positive outlook on life no matter what . What a great world this might be if we could all have such an outlook .

I'll drink to that. Happy New Year!
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 pm

It was a tough year for me; got laid off twice, ex-wife took me to court for more money, and after paying her and her lawyer based on my well-paying job, I lost that and money is tight now, so tight me and the Mrs did not buy any gifts for each other on Christmas. (But we made sue our 3 daughters, 5,6 and 8 did). With the Fiscal Cliff, unemployment for me is now gone until they clear that up, so I got a family of 5, with one on the way and the State and Town telling me property taxes are going up even more. I hate to be negative, because I have food as well (Running out back with wool on actually), the power is on, and all my bills do get paid somehow, but it was a very tough year. I am really glad to see 2012 go...

T-Minus 4 hrs and 40 minutes...good riddance 2012.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: hcarlow On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 am

No Smoke ,you keep your chin up my friend and we all hope 2013 will be a much better year for you . I think probably all of us have had a year or two that things could have been much better for us then they were , I know I have .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: jkabdoors On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 am

Hell, I get up in the morning and take 3 pain killers just to get my body where i can move every 6 hrs. So this year won't be any different.
jkabdoors

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

PostBy: beemerboy On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 pm

NoSmoke wrote:Dear 2012,

You suck!

Good Riddance,

Sincerely,
No Smoke

This last year has not been good to me.

All year I had been feeling like crap. August my health started to go down hill fast, it was like a switch was flipped - one day I was feeling OK and the next day I felt like I wasn't to make the rest of the day. I saw my doctor and he said "that sounds like your heart failure is getting worse, I'm going to set you up with a doctor in Boston". When I went to Boston, after the initial greetings, the doctor immediately started talking heart transplant. I've known that was going to be a possibility for a while, my doctor had sorta hinted about this for a couple of years, so it wasn't a complete surprise.

But still... I'm pretty much over the shock and the pity parties are getting fewer.

From the beginning of September I've been to two different hospitals in Boston almost every week for testing and evaluation including spending a week in after a "one day" procedure. Now I'm told that I will need a kidney also.

Next, I'm told that the average wait for a new heart is around five years unless my health goes to complete hell.

Well, at least most of the testing is done and except for a checkup about every three months I should be able to relax for a bit.
beemerboy

Stove/Furnace Make: SAEY
Stove/Furnace Model: Hannover 1

PostBy: LsFarm On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, 2012 was a very tough year for me.
Diagnosed with Prostate cancer, had ~4 months of Radiation treatments,
Then noticed I had started to lose my sight, I hopefully have stopped that decline, and will be able to function.
Buried my Best friend who died at 42 from Skin Cancer - Melanoma.

But, I did have a few good things happen,
I did have enough health and energy to fluff up the house and farm, and have ~130 people over in late June for
a BBQ and Car Tour, That was fun, and damned expensive.
I found I don't miss flying at all.
My eye surgeries probably will stop the vision loss, only time will tell.
I got a new dog, good timing, he's been a good companion nothing like a dog to love you when you are down.
i campaigned hard during the year, but my candidate didn't make it through he primaries,, too much
manipulation of the Media by both parties.. lies, deceit and fraud.

Good: I'm still breathing, and still on the right side of the sod.
Bad: country is going to Hell, I can't hod a FAA Medical anymore so my flying career is over, a bit early.

But I look back on the last 40+ years and realize that I've had a good run, my eyes have held up until just this last year,
I've had a 37year flying career, and made it to being a Captain in a Major airline, and am probably going to be able to
keep the farm and toys, and still eat and pay utilities.

I think back about the good times my buddy and I had, and now he's gone..If I feel this bad, How is his wife holding up??
So, I'm trying hard to be a good friend to everyone in my life, even those I prefer to stay away from,,, I'd miss anyone of them if they were gone..

I hope and pray that 2013 is a better year than I'm anticipating.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: freetown fred On: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Similar to NoSmoke, I also got laid twice last year :doh: Oh CRAP, he said laid OFF :oops2: :clap: toothy Anyway, it's been a good year health wise & as far as everything else, pretty much the same as always---dirt rich, penny poor.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:25 am

I do admit then when I was laid-off, I did take it literally which is probably why I have a baby on the way! :D

The only reason I had a child with my ex-wife was because it was a honey-moon baby. It is kind of ironic because she was a bear to live with and I did not want to get close to her at all. We had all kinds of money though and vacationed all over the world, but it was all I could do not to smoother her with a pillow. Now I don't have any money, but I am smiling a lot. Amicable Domestic Relations I call it! :D

Funny how God's Word always rings true:

Proverbs 27: Verses 15 and 16

A continual dripping on a very rainy day
And a contentious woman are alike;
Whoever restrains her restrains the wind,
And grasps oil with his right hand.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 am

Well I didn't accidentally blow myself up but I'll need to rethink my Redneck Rocket Launcher design. I came across this video about 2 years ago and decided to try it this New Years:

We didn't have as many rockets as this guy but did have a case which comes out to 2880. I had built the platform out of wood figuring I'd be able to use it again if it worked. It woeked well as far as the launching part went and I knew it was going to be singed up but didn't expect it to catch on fire and turn to ashes. LOL.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 am

Richard S. wrote:Well I didn't accidentally blow myself up but I'll need to rethink my Redneck Rocket Launcher design. I came across this video about 2 years ago and decided to try it this New Years:

We didn't have as many rockets as this guy but did have a case which comes out to 2880. I had built the platform out of wood figuring I'd be able to use it again if it worked. It woeked well as far as the launching part went and I knew it was going to be singed up but didn't expect it to catch on fire and turn to ashes. LOL.

Look, I know this burning coal thing is easy but it's simple.

Fire + Wood = ASHES

;)
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 am

I'm On Fire wrote:
Richard S. wrote:Well I didn't accidentally blow myself up but I'll need to rethink my Redneck Rocket Launcher design. I came across this video about 2 years ago and decided to try it this New Years:

Fire + Wood = ASHES

;)

Don't pick on Richard. He is now all worried they are going to ban dump trucks now for harboring fugitives.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
I'm On Fire wrote:

Fire + Wood = ASHES

;)

Don't pick on Richard. He is now all worried they are going to ban dump trucks now for harboring fugitives.

I'm sorry Mr. Mayor. :)
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator