Lighting a stoker

Re: Lighting a stoker

PostBy: llama99 On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Has anyone tried a heat gun? I don't have one, but I have been told it works.EDIT....just saw someone else posted heat gun...sorry
llama99

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Magnum Stoker

PostBy: mcrchap On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Blooms Supply on Mile Hill Road Sunbury has "fire starters". They are a 2" sq box with a fuse and a chemical inside that is real hot. Pile some coal on top of the box, light it and it will burn hot. I use it for rice coal. Takes about 20 min to get a good fire in my keystoker. My son does not like them for his surdiac.
mcrchap

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 90
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: Econo

PostBy: plumber On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Lost my fire on Christmas and had nothing to light it with. Only store open was a quicky mart. They had those instant light charcoals used to smoke a hookah, $1.50 a tube. Lit 4 of them put them in the coal and hoped for the best. 5 minutes later had a little glow, turned on the stoker and away it went. I'll be getting a few more tubes, made it too easy.
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: IH8JEEP On: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 am

After 18+ years with two alaska stokers one in basement and one up stairs I have found the the best way(easy,cheap,fast,and wifey can do it) that works for me and the wife.
On a earier post I praised a heat gun. It does work but takes 5 min and you need power and my wife is a girly girl(wife can't use any power tools).
What if power went out, now I need a genny to light my stove,by the the way I have run my stoves for days on a little 100w converter and my big boat battery(super storm sandy).Yea I'm braggen
I used to use mice when they were cheap and worked now they are a couple bucks and you get a couple duds. The last mice I had were 3 duds and me with no heat or power. Over the years I tried charcoal,kindling,lighter fluid, cutting torch nothing worked well.
I really loved my stoves but hated and even dreaded trying to light them TILL NOW

Get a wide soup can and cut open both ends or a piece of pipe what ever fits nice on your burner grates and about 4" tall and 3" wide or so. You can evan cut a v in the bottom if that helps to light it and I even angled mine but you don't have to.
One sheet newspaper crumpeled up and stuffed into can.
One to two pieces of cheap charcoal in a zip lock bag broken up with a hammer.
Pour charcoal on top of newspaper in the can.
Plug in stoker blower and set can on grates about 1/2" off edge with new coal behind can(burned coal/ashes wipe into ash pan)
Use a little propane bottle torch(cheap) to light the paper in the can hanging over the burner grate once lit push back fully over grate for max air flow.
Next 15 min take small ash clean out shoval and keep putting small amount of coal inthe can.
When you see a nice glow or full can of hot coals in the can take a pair on bbq or cooking tongs and quickly lift off and drop in ash pan.
After almost 20 years I now turn my stokers off on a hot days and light them at night because this way is the easiest I have ever found
IH8JEEP

Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: stoker furnace

PostBy: captcaper On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Jeep
By "Cheap Charcoal" do you mean the BBQ brickettes?
captcaper

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

PostBy: steamup On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 am

I am sure he meant whatever was the cheapest to get.

I use and a lot of people use lump charcoal. Don't have to break it with a hammer. If a peice is too big, it usually breaks with your hands.

I keep a bag handy. A couple of hand fulls of lump, put in a can and moisten with lighter fluid (do not oversoak). Dump on coal bed and light. Then turn on stoker. After a few minutes, dump on some coal.
steamup

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

PostBy: captcaper On: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 am

I read Lowes,etc. sells it. I'll keep an eye out. Probably True Value stores as well?
captcaper

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

PostBy: hoovermania On: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

I usually stick a piece of cardboard under the crushed charcoal. Light the cardboard with a torch and turn the unit on.
hoovermania

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 am

I sell coal mice, or coal starter bags if anyone is interested
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: equipmint On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 pm

I have used the mice as other members have and they are great and quick always igniting the coal in minutes. I also have purchased from a different coal dealer small paper sandwich style bags filled with lump charcoal and shredded paper, these also work great and always ignite coal on the first time taking a couple minutes longer though than the mice. Same principal as starting a fire with the mice put the bag on the grate put a coffee can or so of coal on top of the bag, lite it up with a match and last but mot least close the door flip the switch for your combustion blower.
equipmint

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman VF3000

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:06 pm

What I was going to try this year but can't was using some sparklers with the excess wire cut off & bury them in the coal then light the last one & use it to light the others. Don't know how or if it will work but should, not too much burns hotter & a huge box of boxes was real cheap from Sam's Club after the 4th. :idea:
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Lost power today and stoker went out,.....apparently a squirl got fried in a transformer nearby. Was out of coal mice so I piled some "fat wood" fire starter sticks on the coal and added about half a dozen match light charcoal briquettes and hit it with a torch until lit. Turned the stoker on and, presto! It lit right up. Thought it would be more of a chore......good to know I don't HAVE to have coal mice handy. I'll pick some up, however, next time I'm near the hardware store.
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 pm

One of the little variations I have done over the years is to get some cheap wooden paint paddles or you can buy a pack of wood shims at any big box store. I cut these to fit snugly between the sides of the stoker. I use 2 of them. 1 to hold back the coal in the hopper, the other to keep the cowboy charcoal on the grate. Cut the wood pieces to length before proceeding. It helps to do this before the season starts and keep handy. Mark them so they don't get thrown away. And this must be done before following the direction below. Be careful if using and power tools to cut the wood pieces.

Place the wood strips in the grate area. Leave about a 3"-4" gap between the wood strips centered over the combustion holes. Get beer and open can. You can have a sip or 2 before proceeding. Take some lump, cowboy or even regular charcoal briquettes and smash with a hammer. It helps to do this on a piece of newspaper that can be folded into a funnel to put in the bag. Place in zip lock or similar plastic bag. Add a little kerosene, diesel or lighter fluid to the charcoal. Shake bag to evenly distribute the liquid product. Have another beer.

Dump saturated mixture in space created between the wooden strips. Light it up. Close doors and turn on combustion blower. Finish beer and get another ready.

The charcoal mixture will start flaming away igniting the wooden strips. About the time the charcoal gets burning good, the wood strips will burn away releasing the coal down the stoker chute. Finish beer, grab another, sit back and pat yourself on the back.

Note: It helps to keep a fridge near the coal appliance. A small TV nearby adds ambiance. A door to the coal burning room is usually desired to protect privacy. Every now and then let a curse word fly allegedly complaining about trying to get the stove started. Enjoy the solitude watching the blue ladies dancing over the coal bed. Possibly have another beer before officially declaring the heating appliance finally lit and heating.

Note: suitable volume on the TV will prevent anyone listening for the pop top sound. Also remember to destroy any evidence before joining the rest of the family.

You are all welcome.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Rick 386 wrote:Note: It helps to keep a fridge near the coal appliance. Rick

And there my coal brothers and sisters is invaluable advise. :cheers:
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: Ed.A On: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Since I've been "learned" by sooo many on here.

Horseshoe half/ring ( and or soup can with lighting hole) along with charcoal broken up into small bits.

Map Torch, Fire starts...EVERYTIME.

Can't go wrong.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Visit Lehigh Anthracite