Raising Humidity Level in the House

Raising Humidity Level in the House

PostBy: etned On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I tried to raise the humidity in my house by using a cast iron kettle filled with water on top of my Pocono stove, but because of the stoves design the kettle will not get hot enough to evaporate the water. I am looking for a simple way to increase the house humidity. It averages about 30% which seems to be low. Thanks, for any ideas.
etned

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono Rear Vent

Re: Raising Humidity Level in the House

PostBy: WNY On: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:32 pm

if you do a search on here for "humidifiers", many of us use them to keep the humidity levels up during the winter months using the coal stoves. I think Typcially 40-50% is usually pretty good depending on your temperatures.
WNY

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

PostBy: btrowe1 On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Sears sells them, I have a nice very modern looking one, just need to fill it 2 times a day...
btrowe1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska stove

PostBy: plumb-r On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

I use a simple wick type humidifier I fill it once a day. It adds about 2gallons a day to the home. It does help with the static electricity. :)
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

You can always build a house directly in a swamp, as someone did 170 years ago with my house. :lol:

SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: btrowe1 On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

SMITTY wrote:You can always build a house directly in a swamp, as someone did 170 years ago with my house. :lol:

Smitty you must run your dehumidifer all year round if it looks like that.. I have a friend that has a few rubber ducks would you like them?
I"d be scared loading my stove,
btrowe1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska stove

PostBy: Bratkinson On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 am

I tried a 'boiler-style' 2-gallon humidifier the first year I heated with coal, as it worked sort-of OK with my natural gas forced air furnace. Then I decided I needed something better, and cost-free to operate.

So, I started hosing down the painted concrete basement floor where my stove is, and put a cheapo box fan blowing the air essentially 'in a circle' around the basement (center of house stairway). It was OK, but I still wanted more humidity. So I started hanging 5-6 soaking wet, large bath towel sized rags on a line in the basement. I did this twice a day. OK, but after 2 years, I got tired of filling the basement wash tub, dunking in the rags, etc. So this year, I've changed my schedule to 3 times a day, but hosing the floor only. I stay a lot drier as a result.

Note that I also have a floor squeegee, and that I only hose down the area directly accesible from the sink, which covers 2 sides of the house and the one side up to stairwell. There's a low spot in the floor about 8 feet in front of and to the right of the stove. So after dumping the ash, filling the hopper, and cleaning the glass, I squeegee any standing water into the hard to reach areas, then spray with the hose. Additionally, I have the basement door removed, so the warmed air in the basement naturally drifts upstairs. According to my digital temperature/humidity meter in the living room, the humidity stays somewhere near 44-50%. So I can't complain at all. Living alone does have it's benefits.

One more thing...it took me 3 seasons to finally 'perfect' my air distribution system. I simply 'plugged into' the main hot air trunk about 4 feet from the furnace, and experimented with how to get the cold air back to the stove. I tried fans blowing down the basement steps, tapping into front-of-house cold air returns, and finally settled into tapping directly into the main 'down plenum' cold air return just before it goes into the furnace. That seems to work best. Note that I have a removeable 'blocking sheetmetal' preventing backflow into the furnace hot plenum from the stove and I'm using 2 inline 405 CFM fans to move the heated air around the house.
Bratkinson

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am

Try to keep humidity levels BELOW 50% but above 40% (you want comfort but without giving mold an opportunity to grow any footholds).
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

dcrane wrote:Try to keep humidity levels BELOW 50% but above 40% (you want comfort but without giving mold an opportunity to grow any footholds).

My friend at work has a wife that insisted to constantly run the "in furnace humidifier" wide open. They added so much water in the air that all the windows had a layer of moisture on them and the attic became covered with mold. Then they had to have a pro come deal with the mold problem, big money no wammies :lol:

I suggested he get a hygrometer so he could see how much humidity they actually had in his house. He replied with,
"whats that? they make something to measure humidity??"

:lol: Rookies, geez
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm

I put a pot of water on the stove but it's a insert so the top do not get real hot unless it's cold out and I'm running above 400*
IMG_1442.JPG
(82.03 KiB) Viewed 6 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39333[/nepathumb]

so I have a humidifier
IMG_1443.JPG
(135.14 KiB) Viewed 17 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39334[/nepathumb]
running on low keeps the house(2400 soft bi-level with the stove and humidifier on the lower level) in the 40%+ range which is ok for us.Keepaeyeonit
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 pm

For those with a double-layer stove top, try sliding a small cookie sheet into the vent on the front of the stove. Fill the cookie sheet with water by using a turkey baster. The hot air flowing over the cookie sheet from the convection fan will evaporate much more water than putting a pot on top of the stove during the shoulder months.
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.