Placement of MPD

Re: Placement of MPD

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Stngllhm wrote:Ps the house is a double wide so that was the other reason I wanted the stove outside of it. Not very many people have tried a set up like this that I could find. So it's all been an experiment

Nice work :D
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:29 pm

So both 8' pipes are running horizontally across the floor through the wall. Very confusing picture and set-up, but thanx for clearing it up. As for the location of your MPD, seems OK to me, but I'm no-one to be taking advice from. My MPD is closer to the outlet of my stove then yours and seems to function well. If you already have a baro, why do you need an MPD? (Just curious).
joeq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

PostBy: Stngllhm On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Because I was experimenting and didn't know what I needed I usually run with the mpd fully closed.

For the cold air return how big of a duct do I need. I'm planning on having a vent in the door going out into the room where the stove is. As far as preheating the air for the stove. The radiant heat off the stove keeps the room hotter than the house usually. I do like the idea of a cold air return because when I'm loading or cleaning the ash out it can get kinda smokey and if I was pulling the air from in the house I would think there would be less of a chance of co2. And just to clarify I do have detectors.

One other quick question I want to pull my air for the cold air return from close to the ceiling right?
Stngllhm

Stove/Furnace Make: US Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Hot Blast 1557m

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Stngllhm wrote:One other quick question I want to pull my air for the cold air return from close to the ceiling right?

Actually you want to take the cooler air from the floor.. Heat will rise, if you take warm air off the top, it won't properly convect in the living space.
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Visit Hitzer Stoves