model# location

model# location

PostBy: bwtucker On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Hello all. My name is Brad. This is my first post. The gasket on the water coil section is leaking on my EFM coal stoker. I need to order a new one but I'm not sure where to find the model number so I know what exactly to order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
bwtucker

Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: ??

Re: model# location

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Welcome to the FORUM Brad. Be a tad patient. You'll soon have the info on that.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: whistlenut On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 pm

If you post your location, we could easily recommend a friendly dealer close-by. If you are in PA, it is easier, but a phone call will give you the answer quickly. Measure the rectangular dimensions of the coil. They are all the same anyway and I'd call Steve Wilhelm at " Steven R Wilhelm Furnace 270 Tremont Rd, Pine Grove, PA 17963 (570) 345- 6302" If he isn't home, his charming wife Ann-Marie is extremely capable also. They will UPS, USPS or whatever you want.

HERE IS A THOUGHT YOU MUST ADHERE TO: DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THOSE OR NUTS WITHOUT HEAT! If it is leaking, you may have rot under the gasket, but soak the nuts with a penetrating oil several times...knowing that a torch will be the safest way to remove them. You may be welding in a new repair plate...but get Steve's opinion before you do something stupid......like the rest of us did before we listened to a few smarter than we were. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :!:
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: bwtucker On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Steve Wilhelm is who used to service mine. He stopped a while back and recommended someone else. I've done most of the servicing myself since. Yes, the nuts are pretty rusted, I've already hit them twice with PB blaster. I live in Pine Grove so it would be a ten minute drive to pick the gasket up. I didn't know he still dealt the parts. Thanks for the advice!!
bwtucker

PostBy: whistlenut On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Small world..... I assume you know Steve smashed up his wrist, and that is why he has taken a back seat for some time. He shattered his wrist and has had a long healing process and rehab workout.
He will recommend someone to you, and probably has 50 gaskets in his shop. Does your whole house smell like PB Blaster? Whoever smells that stuff wishes the chemists would re-scent it with something less pungent.
Some of us spray it on folks car or truck seats if they have pi**ed us off more than is necessary...............................
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: bwtucker On: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 pm

I did not know that's what happened. You're right on the money, my house does smell like PB Blaster and my wife is not happy about it. I like the car seat idea :D
bwtucker

PostBy: LsFarm On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Take a torch and heat the nuts on the DHW plate till the PB blaster burns off, then use regular motor oil on the nut while it's hot, it will fume a little, but
as the oil cools the nut and stud, it will suck in a bit of the oil, do this a few times and you bmay get lucky with the nuts and studs.

I'll make a suggestion, even if the boiler's surface is very rough, dry it out, wire bruxh and grind flat, then use Permatex Ultra Black RTV automotive gasket sealer on the entire surface that the gasket touches, A THIN layer on the steel, and a thin layer on the gasket and the same on the plat's surface.

This brand of RTV is the best, I used it on my DHW plat with the OLD gasket in my AA260 5+ years ago, and it does NOT leak..

Good luck witht he gasket replacement.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: Pacowy On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 pm

I believe forum member Matthew D. is in the business of making house calls to repair such things. Pics of his work that have been posted on the forum look very professional. I see from another thread that you already have made your repair. If you have any recurrence of the problem you might want to let Matt take a look.

Mike
Pacowy

Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

PostBy: bwtucker On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Yup, everything is good to go. There were no real problems with the gasket install, the auto fill, on the other hand, was a trip.
bwtucker

Visit Lehigh Anthracite