power vent or chimney

power vent or chimney

PostBy: kchampney On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

I have a Alaska Kodiak 2, coal stove. I had it in my basement with a power vent hooked on it and am moving it to my uninsulated garage with steel siding. My problem is the motor on the power vent is bad and the wheel is stuck on the motor. I hate to spend a ton of money on a new motor. Also, the outside of the pipe is rotted where the wheel runs. Would I be better running a chimney or fixing the power vent? Any suggestions?
kchampney

Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: kodiak stoker 2

Re: power vent or chimney

PostBy: Boots On: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:43 pm

see if you can remove the motor and find some make / model numbers. then see if any eletrical supply places in your area have a replacement motor. this could save you some $$ versus buying from the manufacturer.
Boots

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

PostBy: kchampney On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:01 am

I did that its a 7121-7001 when I cross it over it comes out to d206 which is 55.00 but no fan with it not sure where to get that? I was also thinking of just going out the wall of the garage with stove pipe and up the side seeing it a tin garage.
kchampney

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 am

looking at the Alaska web site you can use a chimney instead of the power vent, however you will need to use triple wall pipe SS pipe from going thru the wall all the way up on the outside and you may still lose draft because of the pipe cooling down, the cheapest way is to fix the power vent, if you want to use reg pipe then you can go thru the roof use the reg pipe till you hit ceiling height then use double wall out the roof, rember the 3-foot by 2-foot by 10-foot rule on height over the roof line

Jeff
RAYJAY

Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

PostBy: Boots On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:45 am

kchampney wrote:I did that its a 7121-7001 when I cross it over it comes out to d206 which is 55.00 but no fan with it not sure where to get that? I was also thinking of just going out the wall of the garage with stove pipe and up the side seeing it a tin garage.

is there no way to remove the impeller from the shaft? no set screw, snap rings etc...
Boots

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

PostBy: kchampney On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 pm

it has set screws and they r locked up tighter than a drum, looks like a new fan
kchampney

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm

kchampney wrote:it has set screws and they r locked up tighter than a drum, looks like a new fan

you can heat them spray them down with penetrating fluid and get them out, or drill them out and retap new holes
RAYJAY

Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER