Please help me choose *poll*

Which of these should I purchase

Glenwood #6
6
50%
Herald #6
1
8%
Our Best #6
0
No votes
Hold out for a little but bigger maybe a #8
5
42%
 
Total votes : 12

Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Ok so I made a phone call today.

I have Listed three choices. Please vote to which one you think I will be most happy with. Although I have been told they are basically all the same I wanted to hear from y'all. :)

Glenwood #6
Herald #6
Our Best #6

Or should I hold out for something like a glenwood #8

I'm looking to make a depost very very soon.

My house is 1287sq ft. But it's drafts right now with the sunroom . The WM 414a heats it but it's maxed out and doesn't heat as well as I want.

I will buy one of those base heaters or an #8 but I figured the #6 will be more than enough!

So which will it be?


Also I need to sell my sailboat to fund this . Let's hope she goes quick!

Edit: it was supposed to write "a little BIT bigger" stupid cell phone auto type has screwed me again.
Last edited by Smokeyja on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Have any pictures handy of all the stoves as well as the grates and fire pot sizes ?

So they are all base heaters and able to burn wood and coal ?

I am not familiar with all the stoves listed but I'm guessing they are all 16" fire pots except the No 8 which is 18".
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:22 pm

echos67 wrote:Have any pictures handy of all the stoves as well as the grates and fire pot sizes ?

So they are all base heaters and able to burn wood and coal ?

I am not familiar with all the stoves listed but I'm guessing they are all 16" fire pots except the No 8 which is 18".


Yea , forget the 8 I guess. I just threw that in the poll.

They are all exactly the same from what I've been told made in the same town. I hope William chimes in soon :) maybe he will be the ultimate decision maker on this one ;)
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Unless it is the styling you are after there are a lot more choices.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

franco b wrote:Unless it is the styling you are after there are a lot more choices.


Price point is another factor. I'm willing to spend around 3k for a
Completely, ready to burn, restored base heater. No direct drafts.

The things I have heard on the glenwoods are amazing . So maybe I will just go with one of those. I figured I would just out the poll up. Availability is another factor as well. I haven't seen too much difference in styling as far as the base heaters go unless you are taking a lot more money . I also have other stoves to restore and I don't feel like restoring one of these unless I can get it for $200 lol

I also want to be able to burn wood so the large doors is also nice.
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
franco b wrote:Unless it is the styling you are after there are a lot more choices.


Price point is another factor. I'm willing to spend around 3k for a
Completely, ready to burn, restored base heater. No direct drafts.

The things I have heard on the glenwoods are amazing . So maybe I will just go with one of those. I figured I would just out the poll up. Availability is another factor as well. I haven't seen too much difference in styling as far as the base heaters go unless you are taking a lot more money . I also have other stoves to restore and I don't feel like restoring one of these unless I can get it for $200 lol

I also want to be able to burn wood so the large doors is also nice.


If I had a period house like you have I think I would prefer a period stove too. What I object to is the assumption that they are the very best hand fired coal burners. In some respects, but not all they might be. The best feature is the lined round fire box and the grate design. Great combustion and easy shake down. Probably the best. They still are, however, a batch loading stove and as such require much longer tending time and more fussing with air controls than a stove with hopper and thermostat. You will also get rave revues about Hitzer and DS Machine stoves. In buying an antique I would stick with Glenwood even though others might seem very close in design. I have noticed that Glenwood seems to have thought of a lot of simple things like a cover for the shaking grates that precludes any air leakage there. There just seems to have been a lot of thought given to the design.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Smokyja,I would love to have a Glenwood #8(just don't tell William ;) ) and maybe will put a order in for one but for right now I will keep my 983 so my vote is the Glenwood #6 and if they cost more just wait and save your $$$.Keepaeyeonit
Keepaeyeonit
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Yes I think I will go with the glenwood 6

I have just heard such great things .
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: AlmostThere On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:09 am

:P I know its not on your list but I have a DS Machines Basement #4. I finally got it firing correctly and I can't be more impressed. Look at the picture and it speaks volumes. I have the stove running at 225 degrees with the same fire for the past 1.5 months burning nut anthracite.
Attachments
0105132302.jpg
(70.67 KiB) Viewed 9 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Roughly 22 outside. I hate it this warm but the wife loves it. Gives me a reason to be outside
[nepathumb]39335[/nepathumb]
AlmostThere
 
Stove/Furnace Make: DS
Stove/Furnace Model: Basement #4

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am

AlmostThere wrote::P I know its not on your list but I have a DS Machines Basement #4. I finally got it firing correctly and I can't be more impressed. Look at the picture and it speaks volumes. I have the stove running at 225 degrees with the same fire for the past 1.5 months burning nut anthracite.


I am sure there are decent new stoves out there but that's just not me . I want cast iron and art. But mainly the efficiency of a base heater. I don't want electricity hooked to my stove, I don't want blowers . And the amazing thing is most of these new sheet metal stoves cost a lot! No I'm a oldschool guy. Old house, old cars, old tractors ;) thank you for the recommendation though. But either way I'm going to be sick for spending all that money!

I love and hate spending money at the same time. Weird lol

I'm buying this stove for a lifetime . It will go with me to every house I own ! And if I move , I'm moving either north to the mountains or somewhere like Alaska ;) so I will Definatly always need a stove !
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:05 am

echos67 wrote:Have any pictures handy of all the stoves as well as the grates and fire pot sizes ?

So they are all base heaters and able to burn wood and coal ?

I am not familiar with all the stoves listed but I'm guessing they are all 16" fire pots except the No 8 which is 18".


Yes, they are all base heaters. They all are very similar in design. They are all top notch stoves. If I couldn't get the Glenwood, I would be very happy with the Herald. I like Herald's a lot. They are superb stoves. I don't know of any that are cleaner than the Glenwood. It is set up for such easy maintenance.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Short Bus On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:35 am

Beautiful stoves no doubt.
You mention Alaska as a posible move?
Unfotunatly we only have subbitumionus coal in production at this time, I understand a warm morning stove is the most suited for subbituminous, those beauties fail with this type of coal I understand.
I might be wrong.
Short Bus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 am

Smokeyja wrote: I'm going to be sick for spending all that money!


Although I voted, it doesn't matter to me all that hard work deserves the stove you want the most. I couldn't agree more about being sick spending a bunch of dough, but that is all it is good for. Money has no value unless you use it.
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 am

Short Bus wrote:Beautiful stoves no doubt.
You mention Alaska as a posible move?
Unfotunatly we only have subbitumionus coal in production at this time, I understand a warm morning stove is the most suited for subbituminous, those beauties fail with this type of coal I understand.
I might be wrong.


It's not in the near future or anything but I have always loved what I've seen and heard of Alaska. I love cold weather as well! I really hate the summer time most of the time.
It's on a list of possible moves if I found a good job there. Other possibilities are upstate NY , Vermont, or Maine.
I'm by no means the type of guy for a Yankee lifestyle but I'd be moving to the ultra sticks if I did that and from the people I've met on here that live up north well that just regained all hope . I would need to live somewhere where I couldn't see my Neighbor .
Smokeyja
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Re: Please help me choose *poll*

PostBy: Dennis On: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 am

what ever stove you pick make sure it has enough heat for the house and also for heat circulation through out the entire house.good luck and enjoy the warmth
Dennis
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Visit Hitzer Stoves