Anyone burning coal in a Biasi 3 Wood/Coal

Re: Anyone burning coal in a Biasi 3 Wood/Coal

PostBy: Bob B On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry for the delay in answering.
My stove generally keeps the water in my oil boiler at around 170°on average, but it will range from 140° to 195°depending on the outside temp., demand for heat & demand for hot water. I do not pay any attention to the gauges on the boiler or the markings on the knob that adjusts the damper door. The temps that I mention are the temps in the oil burner so it may be higher in the stove. I also have a barometric damper on my flue which steadies out the burn. At 170° my damper door is closed and the stove will maintain that temp. with no demand. Once the heat or hot water comes on and the temp drops the door will open up to let some air in again to fire it up.
I don't like to rake the coals. It seems like every time I do the coals pack together too tightly and choke off the air. Too much poking can have the same results. The coal needs a good flow of air through the bottom and if you choke it off with ash or packed coal the fire will go low and eventually out.
After poking I fill the stove to just above the level of the bottom of the loading door. I'm guessing that thats about 30-40lbs.
Bob B

Stove/Furnace Make: Biasi
Stove/Furnace Model: 3wood6

Re: Anyone burning coal in a Biasi 3 Wood/Coal

PostBy: Bob B On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

On second thought, it is probably more like 40-50lbs.
Bob B

Stove/Furnace Make: Biasi
Stove/Furnace Model: 3wood6

Visit Hitzer Stoves