Baler rebuild

Re: Baler rebuild

PostBy: Mark (PA) On: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Enjoyed Reading this thread! I started small too! First baler I used was a NH 66 (got for FREE from neighbor, needed about $100 in parts to get going) Dropped every bale (2500 per year) on the ground because I didnt' even have a wagon to pull behind the first 2 years! Used my utility trailer behind my toyota 4 runner to pick them all up. Yea. that was work... But thats ok. enjoyed it. Picked up my first rake for $100 at auction, and still using it! It had been rolled and needed some welding.
First tractor I used was a 1954 Super A with a sickle mower, pull behind Cunningham Crimper...

I now round bale everything though with a Krone KR160. Have 3 more tractors, hay tedder, Haybine etc.... I guess the farm equipment grows with the farm! I only buy what I can afford to pay off quickly. always looking for a good deal on something in better shape than I have though. Just shows you don't have to have it all to start but you do have to be willing to work very hard... Farming is alot of work and you really gotta have it in your blood to work that hard and enjoy I think.
Mark (PA)

Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Learnin' alot about farming on this thread. As a city slicker, a baler to me was the guy that jumped out of the truck on the way home from the bar. :D
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 am

You got that right.

I am located next to a State Organic Organization who has a lot of members and puts on a big fair every year. That brings hippie's and the crunchy granola types who think farming means you have two goats and an apple tree then go out in the back 40 with a picnic basket with the kids and the wife, with a nice back drop of sheep and cows and commune with nature as the kids run around barefoot laughing and are happy as they eat their gluten free, organic, free range eggs and eggplant. Yeah right!

The USDA used to give money to those people thinking we needed start up farmers, but the problem was after about 7 years they realized how hard farming was, sold the land that they got at low interest rates and paid by tax payers and left us with house lots from their failed subdivided farms. People complain now that it is harder to qualify for start-up farm loans, but I am glad the USDA does or we would not have an acre to farm left in this county.

I know I am not right that is for sure. This year I was in a good position financially and rather then buy something fun like a new snowmobile, atv or tractor...the wife and I spent 10 grand so that we could clear 10 acres of forest into field. My materialistic friends will never get this, but I am not hard wired to obtain "things", what I enjoy is setting goals and figuring out ways to make them happen. That was why we made the field, it was on my to-do list and getting that done...something that will last my lifetime anyway, is important to me. That has real lasting value to me as I can walk across that field when I am 80...perhaps with a cane...and say to my Grandson, "I remember bulldozing this field when I was 38". And the amount of food that will come off that filed over the next 40 years will be staggering whether it be to produce milk or lamb. When you have a farming perspective like that, spending 10 grand to build it is an insane return on investment.

My next project is bulldozing a road to some fields about a mile through the woods. To get to them now requires a trek of 2-1/2 miles over unmaintained county roads that plays havoc on the trucks. The USDA already said they would not help me do it, so it is just a matter of figuring out how to do it myself. It might take me a few years, but I will build it.

Mark (PA) wrote:Just shows you don't have to have it all to start but you do have to be willing to work very hard... Farming is alot of work and you really gotta have it in your blood to work that hard and enjoy I think.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

NoSmoke, i haven't done a written plan, i have a book that i put down things i want to get done and a time frame(realistic) for me to accomplish it, financially and physically. May not be what USDA is looking for as far as records, but all receipts are kept, as far as out go, and what little income i do produce now. I should have no hay left within the month, from what i made past season. Selling it as mulch to get it gone, and get income for other things i want to get done. All of it goes back to the exspense of starting this farm up, and doing repairs to equipment i now have, My small tractor, case vac14(rake/tedder) machine nes new rear rim, and one hydraulic steel line repaired. Got rim, need to get steel line repair coupler fitting. Then it goes back to work this year making hat. used the 1750 forrake/tedding last season, bit pricey for fuel, so vac will be working for this coming season. Hay wagon nnes new sides and decking, beams are questionable. So sides and decking will be done, and hope beams last a few more seasons. Also looking at another running gear for hay wagon, if its cheap enough will get it, but it bare no wagon. Things to do. One wagon will work, but 2 would be quicker.
wilder11354

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

PostBy: waldo lemieux On: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Wilder

I haven't read the entire thread, but it sorta sounded like you may be questioning whether you are going in the right direction or not. I heard an interesting quote the other day, " do what you would do if you weren't scared." Now please dont take that the wrong way. Im simply trying to offer encouragement sort of follow your heart kind thing. Too, I dont know you area .soil ect. but I know a few farmers around the focus on growing and selling high quality hay to the horse folks around metro conn. and nyc. These guys went from 1950 ford 8ns to new case tractors in less than ten years and they dont have payment books. I think what you and NS are doing is awsome and someday no to long from now we will all be living in a 100 mi. economy and you guys will be on top. Im not a farmer but Im glad there are guys like you that are... Im hungry! Im gonna start a thread called "wish list" for members to post stuff they are looking for or to get rid of. Post some parts for equipment that you need and maybe the rest of us will come across it or better yet pull it out the hedgerow and give it to ya.

Keep pluggin,

Waldo

I just went to start Wish List thread and found a wanted thread so I guess thats the place for that. Start posting and Ill keep my eye out
waldo lemieux

Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Heres how i order my parts new for baler. I go to JDParts.com, set up an account there, selected the dealer in area i wanted to use. I look up parts, do an online order, select pay when parts picked up. First time i went to dealer, took business info, ein, state tax exempt form and set up with thier store for my farm account. Have done 3 orders to date, all came in, all paid for when picked up. Did another order sunday evening, for some more parts. got a message on phone from Monday, said they need pre payment to order the parts i just did sunday night. Now let me figure this one out, have spent close $800 on parts, no prepay, paid for them when they called and i went and picked them up. i will call them tomorrow, and see whats up. Guess i will also call JD dealer which is closer(smaller) and see if they will order without prepayment. Ifso the other dealer is done getting my business.

Just burns me that its ok, now its not ok. Thin it must be the new computer system they installed in store, either or, they know i come down and pick up parts, ASAP when they come in.
wilder11354

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed