Need advice on a new stove -- Hitzer? Harmon? Alaska?

Re: Need advice on a new stove -- Hitzer? Harmon? Alaska?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Hell, I don't mind gettin beat up, keeps ya on your toes George ;) --originally Hitzer would recommend running NO damper due to the stoves design & then the other designer A-holes got involved & walla, they recommended the MPD--then more criticism from who the hell knows who, but just to shut everyone up, it was easier to go with the BRAINIACS & not say much of anything as far as a damper goes--I can't swear to it but I think their recent owners manual, does mention a baro. Like I said before, I run nothing but an MPD & happily & safely so.
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: oliver power On: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:55 pm

me neither!!!
fastcat wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Why does he recommend a mpd only? I'm running a baro now but I will remove it and put a mpd in if I had a reason.

I'm not touching that with a 10' pole, I don't want to get beat up. :P
oliver power

Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

PostBy: MarkV On: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Guys, after a lot of consideration of your great advice, suggestions, and experiences, I settled on a DS Machine 1500WH. It was delivered and installled today!!! :junmp:

Here's a pic of my new baby after the install:

Probably won't fire it till next weekend--taking an extra day off, so I'll be around three days to get to know'er.

You can see from the pic what I was saying about the low thimble. The collector hood in the pic is tied into the return side of my heat pump air handler. 10 of the 12 warm air circulater tubes on the top of the stove are directly under the hood--should work out pretty well. Can't see it well in the pic but there's a MPD up near the thimble.

Can't say enough about the folks at Blain Supply and their installer, Pequea Renovations. They were in and out of here in less than 90 minutes. Did a chimney inspection too, and found no issues. They were very careful about getting the stove through our finished TV room and into the unfinished area of the basement.

Thanks again to all of you who weighed in on the discussion!!! I'm sure I'll be around asking plenty of questions when I get it started.
MarkV

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: buck24 On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 am

MarkV,,,,, Nice stove and install. She looks really good there waiting to be fired up. Good luck with the new stove.
buck24

Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:14 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Hopper...
Hitzer or DS Machine...

Hitzer 503 happy with device ... fireplace insert
davidmcbeth3

Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

just stick with MPD...
Had a baro but pulled it out with th DS...
Needed it with the harman...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 am

fastcat wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Why does he recommend a mpd only? I'm running a baro now but I will remove it and put a mpd in if I had a reason.

I'm not touching that with a 10' pole, I don't want to get beat up. :P

ditto" LOL
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: coalfan On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 pm

the hitzer in my experience in the past was a very well ,rounded stove soft coal a very little hard coal and a heell of a lot of various types of wood and just now wondering myself if there is a more versatile stove ,,and really loved the bimetal draft on it made it very cre free here in nw. oh. and the folks in kidron oh. where i bought it from were very helpful on all aspects of the stove ,and they do also carry blashak by the bag or skid at that time and when i get my new one i am leaning for the hopper fed coal stove but still doing all my research i can to make my dollar work for me if you know what i mean good luck and any other info out there on these stoves would be great ,good site !!!!!!!
coalfan

Hand Fed Coal Stove: handfed coal stove
Stove/Furnace Model: hitzer /brunco hearthglow

Visit Hitzer Stoves