What should I do with my new laptop?

What should I do with my new laptop?

PostBy: Joeski On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 am

Before I start using it so if I ever have problems I can restore it to the brand new condition it is now in? I guess I should make some sort of recovery disc or file? Any tips would be great to hear & read about.

Thank you.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

Re: What should I do with my new laptop?

PostBy: dcrane On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 am

If you bought it new, it should have this already with it. If not for some reason you can simply google for making a backup recovery disc.
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

Most have the drive ghosted with what it needs to rewrite the drive, I would guess that is the case if you received it with no back up disks. With a DELL, a couple of keystrokes at start up and the ghost refreshes the hard drive back to OEM.
coaledsweat

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

If you look at your drives, you should have a drive named OS Tools. On this is a mirror or ghost image of your system along with several importent utilities. Don't mess with it unless you know what you doing or are developing something.
That said, you can and should make yourself a back up and/or a set of recovery(system repair) disks. Control panel>backup and restore>create a system repair disk.
You can also always go back to the original "clean slate" condition as Coaledsweat suggested, but that would only be if you were reselling the unit to someone else because obviously you lose any and all info.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: Joeski On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Thank You very much you three for that info. I am overloaded with all this info needed to do coal, laptops, plumbing, automobiles, and everything else these days.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: beemerboy On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm

If you don't have a recovery disk or partition, When you get the computer setup the way you want it, download a copy of Clonezilla, burn it to a cd and use it to create an image of your drive.
Burn the image onto a cd and you will be able to restore your drive.
beemerboy

Stove/Furnace Make: SAEY
Stove/Furnace Model: Hannover 1