Coal prices

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

Coal prices

PostBy: lancenator09 On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:28 am

I live in Muncy, Pa and I am buying my coal from a yard about 2 miles from my house and paying $200 a ton. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that lives close to me and knows of a cheaper place to buy it. I would drive to Shamokin, where my coal come from, but with gas prices the way they are it's not really worth the trip.
lancenator09

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Other Heating: oil boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: anthratherm
Stove/Furnace Model: VA 600

Re: Coal prices

PostBy: GA cracker On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 am

200 a ton? I would like to know where you are buying from. I'm in Williamsport.
C.
GA cracker

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark iii
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Central heat and air

PostBy: steamup On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

lancenator09 wrote: but with gas prices the way they are it's not really worth the trip.

Here lies the basic problem, Shipping and handling of coal is an expensive proposition. $200/ton retail is not a bad price, even if the coal is moved only a few miles from a breaker.
steamup

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: mkline On: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

I live in Lewisburg and drive to Calvin Lenigs to get coal.They are a few miles west of Trevorton on 225.I haven't gotten any since September but it was 160 a ton then.If it costs you 40 bucks in fuel then you may as well just get it close to home,especially if you're happy with the quality ;) .

Mike
mkline

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite

PostBy: 331camaro On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 am

it would be worth it to me if i could get 4 or 5 skids on a trailer and haul it back up to buffalo, thats almost a tank of gas each way!
331camaro

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: plumber On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:16 am

I drive out to NEPA from Rhode Island to get my coal. Saves me about $500 per year to do do. Right now I'm on the fence if its worth it, especially as I miss bagged coal. Not a big fan of shoveling and moving the coal multiple times before I get it in the boiler. My wife an I sure do enjoy the long weekend out there though.
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm in Dushore and I'm stuck with 220 picked up or 50$ delivery flat fee. 200 isn't bad for the area.
anthony7812

Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: lancenator09 On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm buying my coal from Kepner Farm Supply in Clarkstown. I think he is hauling it himself from Shamokin. It's definitely not worth it for me to drive to Shamokin with the price of gas.
lancenator09

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Other Heating: oil boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: anthratherm
Stove/Furnace Model: VA 600

Visit Lehigh Anthracite