What is an "assault" rifle?

Re: What is an "assault" rifle?

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:59 am

Smokeyja wrote:I disagree with some of the article though. Current military M16's only have 3 round burst mode. The M16s used today do not have fully automatic functions. So It is wrong to state that even the military version of the AR15 (the M16) is "machine-gun" like.

I think the correct terminology would be any rifle with a selector switch. ;)
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:24 am

Smokeyja wrote:I disagree with some of the article though. Current military M16's only have 3 round burst mode. The M16s used today do not have fully automatic functions. So It is wrong to state that even the military version of the AR15 (the M16) is "machine-gun" like.

Give me a bolt action .50 cal over a Small semi rifle any day!

Anyways it is sad that these so called educated news reporters and politicians are so ignorant!

I did fall in love with the M16 though while serving in the USAF . While serving on the borders we had blocker plates mounted on our M16s so we could only use it as a semi auto.

Even in the military not many carry a true fully automatic firearm.

The 3 rd burst,I believe now that is the M4. But not really important they are basically the same rifle different Bolt carrier group and a flat top.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 am

As I posted in another thread sometime in the past, even the military has different versions for different tasks. There are selective fire, burst mode, long and short barrel(carbines) used by special forces in close quarters, etc. NO one rifle is best in each situation and they adapt to the task at hand.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Flyer5 wrote:

Anyways it is sad that these so called educated news reporters and politicians are so ignorant!

I did fall in love with the M16 though while serving in the USAF . While serving on the borders we had blocker plates mounted on our M16s so we could only use it as a semi auto.

The 3 rd burst,I believe now that is the M4. But not really important they are basically the same rifle different Bolt carrier group and a flat top.

No I'm sure the m16 I carried had a 3 round burst selection on the selector switch. Only the Military police carried the M4s.

The way I look at it though... If you want to kill you're going to kill and it's not like it's hard to pull a trigger so rapidly you can fire faster than a 3 round burst.

Funny story about the M16 . Us Airforce flyboys were attached to an army division at one time and we were training with vietnam M16's ... They were still stamped with "Full Automatic" or something like that and I can't remember if it had 3 selections or not... It's been a while. Well they had an updated sear put in them. They were worn bad and they had selection blockers on them as well but everytime I pulled the trigger it would fire 3 round burst. It freaked the range guys out a bit at first but I was laughing way to hard about the situation. I was ripping the targets apart. It was a moving target range.

Anyways . I don't even know why there is a term "assault rifle" their is rifles and hand guns and shot guns ... The word "assault" is such a joke!
Last edited by Smokeyja on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokeyja

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:

No I'm sure the m16 I carried had a 3 round burst selection on the selector switch. Only the Military police carried the M4s.

The way I look at it though... If you want to kill you're going to kill and it's not like it's hard to pull a trigger so rapidly you can fire faster than a 3 round burst.

Funny story about the M16 . Us Airforce flyboys were attached to an army division at one time and we were training with vietnam M16's ... They were still stamped with "Full Automatic" or something like that and I can't rennet if it had 3 selections or not... It's been a while. Well they had an updated sear put in them. They were worn bad and they had selection blockers on them as well but everytime I pulled the trigger it would fire 3 round burst. It freaked the range guys out a bit at first but I was laughing way to hard about the situation. I was ripping the targets apart. It was a moving target range.

Anyways . I don't even know why there is a term "assault rifle" their is rifles and hand guns and shot guns ... The word "assault" is such a joke!

Agree!
Flyer5

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Richard S. wrote:

I think the correct terminology would be any rifle with a selector switch. ;)

You're right! 3 round burst mode sounds funny lol.

Interesting thing about foreign "assault rifles" is that they are already illegal in the US the only reason firearms such as the AK and SKS are allowed is they are considered "curious and relics" which fall under certain restrictions so to be honest most who modify these firearms are already is violation with federal law. Under the law these firearms cannot be modified unless 5 parts are replaced with us made parts and any grenade launching parts or bayonet parts on the gun are removed. Bayonets and grenade launchers however are allowed on un-modified curious and relics.

I asked the ATF through letter years ago and they wrote back to me. Let me see if ican find the letter
Smokeyja

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm

img]
http://jjvphotography.com/atf/IMG_6511.JPG

http://jjvphotography.com/atf/IMG_6512.JPG

Here is the emails that promted it .

Due to the nature/complexity of your question, ATF will be responding to
you in writing via the U.S. Postal Service.  Please provide us with a
mailing address, and we will respond to your inquiry as soon as
practical.  If you wish to write to us, please address your
correspondence to the following address:

Bureau of ATF
   Firearms Technology Branch
   244 Needy Road
   Martinsburg, WV  25405

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:07 PM
To: EPS Directorate
Subject: laws

To whom it may concern,

I have read section 922r along with many other laws partaining to
imported rifles.

my concern is if it is legal to use a detachable magazine in a
yugoslavian SKS. This weapon was purchased at a local Gun expo
following all the rules and regulations to purchase a surplus rifle.
to my knowledge the laws restricting the use of high capacity
magazines was lifted along with others in 2004. I called a local field
division and spoke with a BATF person that was well versed in the
laws. but I want to make sure that what I was told is the answer to
exactly what i'm asking.

the 10 round magazine on a sks is called a fixed magazine, although it
technically is not fixed as it is removable in less than a minute.
although if this was replaced with a magazine that works much like a
AR-15 or a AK-47 .... would this be a violation of any law that is in
effect at this moment?

I appreciate the time taken to read this as the laws partaining to
this subject are very vague.

also this rifle was purchased and imported as a complete rifle and not
a kit, I did no assembly to it. that is all I could get out of the
laws regarding this subject that it applied to weapons assembled that
are normally ban from import by the US.

what are the exact laws still on the books at this moment? and which
ones have been repealed or are no longer in effect?

sincerely,

Joshua
Smokeyja

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 pm

as·sault ri·fle
Noun
A rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.
Flyer5