Re: EFM 520 SULFUR SMELL

PostBy: Anthracitemight On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am

They are at the house as we speak.
Anthracitemight

Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am

There are several vent holes in the end of the auger pipe. When the pipe is fitted into the pot the holes should be facing upwards.

I have a relatively short run to the bin, the auger pipe plus about 2 additional feet of bin auger at the most. I have burned buck, buck/rice mix, and rice and have not had a problem with odor. There may be draft issues or other problems. A thorough inspection is a good idea.
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

Could be a chimney restriction. Superior coal makes lots of ash and fly ash. Do you have vertical vent runs from the boiler to the chimney? Flyash accumulates in those sections. I just cleaned mine after nearly running 3 months. It was more than I expected. I've got a manometer and regularly monitor the draft. When I see a slight degrading of the draft on the manometer and the weather is not a factor, that's a sure sign I should have already cleaned the vent pipe. If you use T's instead of elbows, you can clean it in about 30 seconds and not have to shut down. You do suck a little flue gas out of the vent with the shop vac but it's a quick thing and so only a small amount.

You said a 30' chimney. Metal or terra cotta?

Also as others have already made a point to stress, CO detectors are essential. Also please check to make sure your CO detectors are not too old. Some have 5 year and some have 7 year sensors. After that they can be unreliable.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: Anthracitemight On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Ok….They said the sulfur smell was occurring because there was a seal on the tube that was missing or not on properly. My aquastat was also defective, which explains the heat problem. It will take a a day or 2 to get the part.
Anthracitemight

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Any plumbing supply house should have a triple aquastat in stock.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: MATTHEW D. On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Your not going to get any better advice than these guys on the forum. If you can't figure it out call me at 570-640-9156 (Matt) I only live 20 min away. I can do the work if you still need someone http://www.anthracitecoalstokers.com/
Last edited by MATTHEW D. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MATTHEW D.

Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2

PostBy: Anthracitemight On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Matt,
Thanks for the info. I may contact you in the near future if they can’t get it right. They left and my wife says the sulfur smell is back and still no heat in our downstairs radiators. They have it hooked up to just continuously run and heat but there is nothing running through the pipes. I’ll take a closer look once I return home
Anthracitemight

PostBy: stoker-man On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Circulator or air in the system or auto fill isn't keeping the lines filled.

The barrel setup isn't recommend. Put a trash bag over the top of the drum and tape it. You'll see it blow up like a balloon. Putting a lid over the barrel with a foam seal between the lid and barrel will usually stop the problem. Just put a rock on top for weight.
stoker-man

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

PostBy: hophead On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

How about letting everyone know who installed it so they don't end up with the same problems. Lot's of "experts" out there. Be careful. You'll get good advice here and Matt D is more than capable of getting you straightened out.
hophead

Stove/Furnace Make: efm520

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 pm

stoker-man wrote:Circulator or air in the system or auto fill isn't keeping the lines filled.

The barrel setup isn't recommend. Put a trash bag over the top of the drum and tape it. You'll see it blow up like a balloon. Putting a lid over the barrel with a foam seal between the lid and barrel will usually stop the problem. Just put a rock on top for weight.

This is what I did to get rid of the smell until I got my bin finished.
cArNaGe

PostBy: stoker-man On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:06 pm

I didn't see the posting about the missing rope gasket or silicone around the pipe. That is very important too. But the drum method is still iffy unless it's sealed at the top.
stoker-man

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

PostBy: JeepinPete On: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I used a drum last year, and ran into the same issues. But I did manage to get around them. I found plastic barrel with a top. It would hold 8 40# bags, and burn about 6 before need to be refilled. When it was full, I would not get any smell. But about half way down, it would start up again. So I would keep the barrel sealed and that took care of the problem.

Air was a critical setting. Anything of 4 would force fumes down the pipe. I have excellent draft, but it made no difference.

I still have the barrel, but took it out of service this year. The bin has been a much better setup. You are welcome to the barrel if you want to make the trip.
JeepinPete

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Model: Highboy

PostBy: Anthracitemight On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Guys. I’d rather not name names publicly. Here is an update. They still have not returned, or at least I don’t know if they did or not. They sometimes would come and do work without saying anything. Currently my blower is set on 4.5. I have it set for about 4 clicks. I found an old kids play carpet and I draped that over the barrel and that seems to have corrected most if not all of the fume problems. Heat seems to be working fine. I did acquire the manometer you guys recommended. I just need to know how it should be installed to get a proper draft reading.

Another thing. I do have an addition on the house that was never insulated properly. There is no basement under it, rather the previous owner decided to build that part of the house on footers. That section of the house is extremely drafty. I burned 4 tons already this year and well on my way to burning tons 5 and 6. Any suggestions?
Anthracitemight

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 am

Anthracitemight wrote:That section of the house is extremely drafty. I burned 4 tons already this year and well on my way to burning tons 5 and 6. Any suggestions?

Two suggestions.

1. Call Matt D. to have him check out your stoker. It doesn't sound like your other service guys are very well versed in what is important.

2. Seal up the drafts in that addition. Spray foam, caulk, etc. On average 50% of a home's heat loss is from infiltration (air leaks).
Rob R.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 am

Anthracitemight wrote:That section of the house is extremely drafty. I burned 4 tons already this year and well on my way to burning tons 5 and 6. Any suggestions?

Two suggestions.

1. Call Matt D. to have him check out your stoker. It doesn't sound like your other service guys are very well versed in what is important.

2. Seal up the drafts in that addition. Spray foam, caulk, etc. On average 50% of a home's heat loss is from infiltration (air leaks).
Rob R.