Monroe County in home tax assessment?

Monroe County in home tax assessment?

PostBy: poconoman On: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Rumor has it that the county wants to inspect your home for the 'fair' rate. Any truth to it? IOW, any improvements, upgrades will be subject to tax increases. :mad:
poconoman

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hyfire II

Re: Monroe County in home tax assessment?

PostBy: wsherrick On: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I hope that's not true. If it is then I'm glad I live in Pike County.
wsherrick

Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: robb On: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:56 pm

They cant do squat...you have the right to refuse they can not force their way into your house! I for one hope you guys stand up to them...we need a few govt officials in this state put in their place and told no so they understand they WORK FOR US!!!
robb

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 stoker

PostBy: BrotherDave On: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:01 pm

I hope this is not true. This is may be the turning point. We should be getting tax decreases, the values of all our homes have been decreased by at least 25 to 30 percent!!
BrotherDave

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3727 / King KCC205
Stove/Furnace Make: King/Godin/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: KCC205/3727/VF3000

PostBy: robb On: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:07 pm

the govt is the only corrupt organization that can justify getting more money from people in a down economy, especially in taxes!!!! House decreases in value>>>HMMMM ok welp we are raising your property taxes!!! They are supposed to set by property value...I think it time a PA residents coalition is set up to STOP these crooks from artificially raising property values so they can raise taxes!
robb

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 stoker

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 pm

BrotherDave wrote: We should be getting tax decreases, the values of all our homes have been decreased by at least 25 to 30 percent!!

That's not the way it works. If it's a county wide reassessment it shouldn't raise the total tax base, what it should do is more fairly distribute the taxes. It's entirely possible you could end up paying less if for example your house was over assessed and there is a lot of homes that were under assessed.

robb wrote:They cant do squat...you have the right to refuse they can not force their way into your house!

Actually you're going to want to speak to them IF you can. Make sure they get it right.... When they did the reassessment here they sent a bunch of nitwits around with cameras and notepads and they never knocked on any doors. They were guessing and they were guessing on the high side. We had a small house behind our main house that is about 1000 sq. ft. and they assessed it at almost 2000 sq. ft. If it's wrong you have to appeal and it's a PITA.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Pocono Newbies On: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Monroe Cty is taxing us on 1800 sf of living space, but our house is 1601 sf living space. They also go by exterior dimensions, but even with that, our house does NOT come up to 1800 sf. They also had master bath listed as several feet larger than it is. They also list our house as a 2 story, but it is a 1-1/2 story. We had them come out to take a look, they reduced the size of our master bath, never answered our question about where they're getting the extra square footage, and sent a new tax bill -- with an increase. Crooks. When I have a chance, I plan to revisit this situation.

As proof of their illegal doings, our former home had 2-1/2 baths, and the master had a double sink. They taxed us as having 3 bathrooms. When questioned, it was explained that since we had 2 sinks in our master bath, they "took" one of them and applied it to our 1/2 bath, to make it a "whole" full bath, and then taxed us for 3 full baths. Never mind that the legal definition for a full bath is that it MUST contain 3 fixtures -- a sink, a bowl, and a shower or tub. So in spite of not meeting the legal definition for a full bath, they applied their own illegal formula, and illegally taxed us.
Pocono Newbies

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hyfire II

PostBy: teekalvr128 On: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Unfortunately, My Mom is on oxygen and disabled. I am in no position to help, as I am disabled as well. We are going into tax sale, in September, due to Chestnuthill township's astronomical school and property taxes. We have no mortgage, and they built a PPL energy plant down the block. There are a lot of home foreclosures and sales - obviously. Mom's attorney said she should get a reassessment, to help with future taxes or to sell her home. Otherwise, we are going to be homeless, with all our pets. The home was built in 2007, and of course the builder, did not tell us the taxes-even though we asked. Nice guy, huh? He also didn't finish the attic floor. We got the home in the $400000's and are being told by R.E., that we should sell for in the $100000's. It is a shame in any county, that this is ocurring. Senator Argall is trying to help-he is proposing a wonderful Bill SB 1400. It is to remove ALL future school and property taxes. There was a program recommending that you encourage your senators-to approve this bill. ASAP!! Until then these assessments will continue-I have not heard anything about "in Home." But we are already cleaning etc in case the assessor needs to come inside. I think, they need to lower them for low income homes-or elderly and disabled. Every American should be able to keep THEIR home. NOT forced out into the street or bad areas (especially homes with disabled, elderly or children). It is against our civil rights. This is also causing so many disoriented homeless pets. It is very SAD, what is going on.
teekalvr128

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Not that it helps you folks in PA, just a glimpse of your future.

In RI, BY LAW every town reassesses every three to five years. And if you buy a house, it gets flagged to reassess immediately.

As the states go down the tubes, these are the things they'll start to do.

I don't know if that makes us better or worse. They already tax us about as much as they can. :D
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

robb wrote:They cant do squat...you have the right to refuse they can not force their way into your house! I for one hope you guys stand up to them...we need a few govt officials in this state put in their place and told no so they understand they WORK FOR US!!!

he speaks truth^^^ they will send letters that make it sound like you will go to jail or be fined $100,000, but the fact is... Its your right to not allow them inside the house. (of course this may work against you if you piss off the town assessor when he/she smacks their new value on your property LOL)
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Had a house in Pike county a number of years back, got tax bill after they did reassesments. it was way wrong, said it had fireplace,because there was a chimney, full basement,only crawl space, 3 bedroom, actually 2 bedroom 2 bathrooms, only one BR.Sheet rock walls, cheap paneling no sheet rock, oil boiler, no boiler, electric heat. went down to Milford tax office, with pictures of interior of house, crawl space, kerosene box stove used for heat. they corrected info on assesment forms/values. Also got letters saying they had to see inside house for assesments. I wasn't home(work) and wasn't taking off for them. Plus the company they hired did 1000's of assesments all wrong. You do know assesments company gets paid by percentage of values for doing assesments. So an eroor on high side is good for them, bad for you. If there wrong, take pictures and go and have ot rectified.
wilder11354

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed