PostBy: georgedj On: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I bought a water smoker and I have no idea how to use it and where to start

It's a meco water smoker charcoal
georgedj

Stove/Furnace Make: Stratford
Stove/Furnace Model: SC100

Re: Water smoker

PostBy: baddawg On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Hope you weren't going to do the turkey yesterday, There is a lot of info on the net about these CAS (cheap azz smokers).

I own 3 of the Brinkman CAS and for the cost of them, I can't go wrong, someday I want to upgrade but till then these do the job.
Takes a little time to get used to them. I ALWAYS use cowboy charcoal, I like chunks of wood soaked overnight for my smoke, and you will need lots of time and beer. I am not sure if they work without the beer, if you don't drink, you may not be able to use it and may have to ship it to me.

I did a 21 pound turkey on one yesterday and a 12 pound pork butt on the other. The biggest turkey I have done is a 25lber. Had to stuff that under the lid and it took about 16 hours. Nice thing about the water smokers is that you really can't overcook anything. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

1. Fill charcoal pan and get fire going
2. Fill water pan with water,wine,bourbon,beer (pick 2)
3.Toss on your choice of Meat (tofu not allowed) seasoned, rubbed, massaged the way you want it.
4. Cover and wait.
5. Add soaked wood chunks as needed and keep water pan full.
6. Enjoy in about 8-15 beers (hours).

Most of your smoke flavor is going to happen in the first couple of hours of cooking. so keep it smokin hard early.
baddawg

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer BV

PostBy: baddawg On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm

I just noticed you are from NJ. Didn't they outlaw charcoal down there last year?
baddawg

PostBy: georgedj On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:14 pm

baddawg wrote:I just noticed you are from NJ. Didn't they outlaw charcoal down there last year?

I don't think they outlawed it I cook my pig with char every year
georgedj

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm

baddawg wrote:I just noticed you are from NJ. Didn't they outlaw charcoal down there last year?

Your joking, Right?
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: georgedj On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm

baddawg wrote:Hope you weren't going to do the turkey yesterday, There is a lot of info on the net about these CAS (cheap azz smokers).

I own 3 of the Brinkman CAS and for the cost of them, I can't go wrong, someday I want to upgrade but till then these do the job.
Takes a little time to get used to them. I ALWAYS use cowboy charcoal, I like chunks of wood soaked overnight for my smoke, and you will need lots of time and beer. I am not sure if they work without the beer, if you don't drink, you may not be able to use it and may have to ship it to me.

I did a 21 pound turkey on one yesterday and a 12 pound pork butt on the other. The biggest turkey I have done is a 25lber. Had to stuff that under the lid and it took about 16 hours. Nice thing about the water smokers is that you really can't overcook anything. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

1. Fill charcoal pan and get fire going
2. Fill water pan with water,wine,bourbon,beer (pick 2)
3.Toss on your choice of Meat (tofu not allowed) seasoned, rubbed, massaged the way you want it.
4. Cover and wait.
5. Add soaked wood chunks as needed and keep water pan full.
6. Enjoy in about 8-15 beers (hours).
Most of your smoke flavor is going to happen in the first couple of hours of cooking. so keep it smokin hard early.

Thanks and Beer is a must i just finished my keg on sunday and been drinking bottles since but i will have a keg for sunday dinner
georgedj

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:00 pm

What????? :shock:
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:51 pm

My brisket from my smoker is famous according to my friends.Turkey is cake, ribs easy, and now I do wings, one of my favorites. Low and slow, I get hickory from friends, cut into thick pies then I split those and life is good. Super Bowl favorite, and worst time to do a Brisket with the snow, wind and cold :x Brisket 10 to 13 lbs cooked 14 to 16 hours on the smoker then a few in the slow cooker before serving. YUMMY :P
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: georgedj On: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:27 am

2001Sierra wrote:My brisket from my smoker is famous according to my friends.Turkey is cake, ribs easy, and now I do wings, one of my favorites. Low and slow, I get hickory from friends, cut into thick pies then I split those and life is good. Super Bowl favorite, and worst time to do a Brisket with the snow, wind and cold :x Brisket 10 to 13 lbs cooked 14 to 16 hours on the smoker then a few in the slow cooker before serving. YUMMY :P

I got your PM I will be calling LOL

Thanks
georgedj

PostBy: baddawg On: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:17 am

Flyer5 wrote:

Your joking, Right?

Yes Dave :rofl:
baddawg

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 am

baddawg wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:

Your joking, Right?

Yes Dave :rofl:

Ya just never know with NJ. :D
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 am

I always end up using the small bits of wood in my CAS smoker. I soak them over night but they always catch fire and I end up with grilled whatever.

I find it difficult to put any soaked wood into my smoker. There is virtually no room to get anything through the little door.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: baddawg On: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:04 am

IOF, You using a water smoker? kinda hard to grill/burn with water between the fire and food. I use a long metal spoon to feed the wood on the fire in that little door. Wood will catch on fire and burn after a bit, but really shouldn't grill the food, just raise the water temp. and some more steam.

Now you got me thinking I should run down and grab a couple butts at the store and get them going. Say it's going into the 40's here today.
baddawg

PostBy: georgedj On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm

baddawg wrote:IOF, You using a water smoker? kinda hard to grill/burn with water between the fire and food. I use a long metal spoon to feed the wood on the fire in that little door. Wood will catch on fire and burn after a bit, but really shouldn't grill the food, just raise the water temp. and some more steam.

Now you got me thinking I should run down and grab a couple butts at the store and get them going. Say it's going into the 40's here today.

I was using a metal spoon too and it worked well just to cold to keep the smoker up to temp in the winter
georgedj

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I have ribs and Cornish game hens on my Weber smoker right now.

It takes longer to cook the meat in cold weather, but your beer is always the perfect temperature.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy