Another school shooting....

Another school shooting....

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... one_s.html

Heard this on the radio on the way home from work. It was literally a 10 second "report" with no details other than, 'Police have one suspect in custody they are searching for a second. At least four people were injured. One person suffered a heart attack.'

Aside from what I heard on the radio and the above linked article there's a lot of conflicting details.

Four injured.
One heart attack.
Two injured.
Kicking the door.

Also, why is it that whenever these things happen there is always, 'A second shooter' that is being searched for?

This one isn't being beaten to death either because no one died, the "shooter" was taken into custody by other people with guns.

I am really beginning to hate the word, "LOCKDOWN" too. It's becoming completely overused and I get the chills whenever I hear the word. LOCKDOWN!!!
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Another school shooting....

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/ ... ?mobile=nc

Here's another article..now it's a shootout between two people one of which had a student id and a handgun. Probably one of those black scary assault handguns with a high capacity magazine too.

*throws hands up* *storms out* I *censored* give up.
I'm On Fire

PostBy: oros35 On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

My wife works at an elementary school. They go into "lockdown" about once a week for one reason or another. Usually it is for a special needs kid that has run out of a classroom. Less often it is due to some event nearby like a car chase or someone the police are looking for in the area.

They have a list of students that are "runners" It's typical for teachers to have to run to the doors and block them or just about tackle a kid to keep them from hurting themselves or others (and this is only elementary school). More than once they have had to chase a kid down the street cause they are smart enough to find a way out of the school. (Can’t lock the doors due to fire hazard) One even made it to the 4 lane road about 4 blocks away before being caught.

And this school is in a well to do neighborhood in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Not one of these kids has a normal home life, with responsible parents. The school is nothing but a babysitter to the parents.

Ok rant off....

To me Lockdown has no meaning, Just routine daily business for a school.
oros35

Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215
Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: #215 Hub Heater

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

oros35 wrote:My wife works at an elementary school. They go into "lockdown" about once a week for one reason or another. Usually it is for a special needs kid that has run out of a classroom. Less often it is due to some event nearby like a car chase or someone the police are looking for in the area.

They have a list of students that are "runners" It's typical for teachers to have to run to the doors and block them or just about tackle a kid to keep them from hurting themselves or others (and this is only elementary school). More than once they have had to chase a kid down the street cause they are smart enough to find a way out of the school. (Can’t lock the doors due to fire hazard) One even made it to the 4 lane road about 4 blocks away before being caught.

And this school is in a well to do neighborhood in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Not one of these kids has a normal home life, with responsible parents. The school is nothing but a babysitter to the parents.

Ok rant off....

To me Lockdown has no meaning, Just routine daily business for a school.

This was a quote from the second article I posted. It sums up school systems quite nicely.

This is what happens when we raise an entitled society, they can't cope with the reality of disappointment. They are not receiving demonstration of abilities to reason or cope and society will pay for it again and again. Coddling our children to grow up to Big CHILDREN and then releasing them, while expecting them to become adults overnight without being given the skills that need to be taught at home that will prepare them for the REAL WORLD. We have failed them when we take away scoring sports, taking away punishment, changing grading to not reflect their work or dedication but to appease the parents. I don't understand how things are better by raising them in a bubble; the real world IS competition, IS disappointment and adjustment, IS getting yelled at by your boss for being late, not getting your work done on time, not doing a good job..........we need to set them up for success by teaching them that some win and some lose, some are awarded and some are not...they must learn to work hard to win and that it should not just be handed to them. WHEN WILL THE WORLD LEARN....show me stats on how our new rules have bettered our society as I don't remember EVER hearing of a school shooting when I went to school and guess what everyone, there were guns then too! We don't need to control gun laws we need to control our children, control our emotions and control our reasoning, THAT is the ONLY WAY we will progress successfully. raise our children to BE apart of society not resent it or annihilate it.
I'm On Fire