Draft too strong, one mans fix!

Draft too strong, one mans fix!

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Went down to the basement and to my surprise the strove was over firing 570* and climbing. The baro is working fine, 75% open and the manometer reading 1.4. So, what to do...only having stove size as per my local merchant, I took out the fine adjustment tool...that's right the hammer and made my own nut and pea size coal. Everything back to normal so all my fellow hand fed stoves with a strong draft and larger size coal than needed take matters into your own hands, literally!
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Draft too strong, one mans fix!

PostBy: Lightning On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:13 pm

My chimney drafts too hard in these cold spells.. The baro was unable to keep it under a .05" WC. I found that by using a combination of a the MPD and the baro, I could achieve a steady .03 WC" in any strong draft situation 8-)
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Lightning wrote:My chimney drafts too hard in these cold spells.. The baro was unable to keep it under a .05" WC. I found that by using a combination of a the MPD and the baro, I could achieve a steady .03 WC" in any strong draft situation 8-)

Given the present weather conditions, I too am considering a mpd, I have about a 4 ft. diagonal, about 70 degrees in favor of vertical and then bull nose baro going into 1 ft. section to chimney, would the mpd go before or after baro? Of course I won't do until milder weather, everything is running good.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: buck24 On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm

michaelanthony....The MPD would go before the Baro. You have the stove, then the MPD, then the Baro. Stay warm.
buck24

Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves