LDPosse wrote:Lightning wrote:...combustion air would find the path of least resistance and bypass the grates causing the fire to starve...
Along these lines... might be worth checking out the seals on your doors. The 'ole "dollar bill test" on side side and front doors would probably be a good idea. After the first month of burning coal, I replaced the original 25 year old gasket material on the doors. In my case, the frames around the front door glass were a little warped from years of overfiring on wood, so I put in the cast iron plates.
NIGHT and DAY difference in how the stove burns. Much less primary air was needed to maintain a good burn, most of the time I ran 1/2 - 3/4 turn open. The stove also seemed to use less coal.
good stuff posse! Some of these stoves originally used some kind of padding type (not rope type) yeckie poo stuff that would fall apart (had to pretty scrape it out as opposed to pull it out), lets hope its had a gasket replacement after 30years but one never knows i guess. When i heard it worked fine for some days and then not fine on others it kinda lead me to believe drafting issue caused by baffling & design because if the cause was insufficient draft up through the coal bed (which would be bad gaskets, gaps around the firepot, etc.) he would have a hard time on ALL days i would suspect. Its always easy and smart to do these simple things when she's cool though and I think if he puts all this info together he's gonna be nice a warm!