Coal boiler recommendation for my home

Re: Coal boiler recommendation for my home

PostBy: NWBuilder On: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:23 am

You're gonna be toasty!! Good luck with it.
NWBuilder

Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 am

Are you going to pipe up the 'Village"? Anyone with one of these knows what the potential is...and it loafs along, unaware that it actually has a load. I have some spare parts in my garage, PM me where to visit you.
The tankless was brand new when I bought it, never hooked up because I already had a super store online. That boiler is a good friend, and only departed because Mike needed more than I did......Got a coal supply yet? Buck was all I burned, and is recommended in 700's and 900's, and 1300's.
I was heating 8600 sq ft on 9 tons a year.....hot water, too. I'll pm you today.
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: gwgjr34 On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks. Step one accomplished, now I need to buy some coal, and get the boiler installed.

For various reasons, my choice came down to the new LL 220 or an EFM 700/900. I decided to go big, and then it largely came down to availability.

Thanks again to everyone who has help me so far. Doug (Whistlenut) has been very generous with his time in responding to my extensive list of questions. It's kind of cool that one of his former boilers will end up in my basement. Dave at LL was great about answering my questions about their boiler as well. Also, thanks to Scott (Scottscoaled) as well for his advice.

Doug, I haven't lined up a source for coal yet. I was planning to just buy whatever I can get delivered bagged for this season and then look for a cheaper option going forward; however, I would definitely welcome other suggestions. BTW., if I can heat our house with 9 tons per year, I will be VERY happy.
gwgjr34

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:19 am

gwgjr34 wrote: Step one accomplished, now I need to buy some coal, and get the boiler installed.

Your 900 will run on rice, buck, or a mix of both. Buck is preferred for high-output applications, but if rice is all you have locally it will be fine.

Do you have an installer already lined up?

gwgjr34 wrote: if I can heat our house with 9 tons per year, I will be VERY happy.

I agree that would be great, but don't count on it. You will be heating a larger area to a higher temperature than you are used to. I say that because it is human nature to keep the house a little warmer than you don't get flashbacks of last months fuel bill every time you touch the thermostat...and the 900 will keep the basement cozy.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: GoodProphets On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 am

Wow! That is a BIG boy!

Congrats to switching to coal, and glad to see you came here.
Everyone is much help and also they are long timers that can help with the questions you will have fine tuning (you already know that)

Like Rob said, your usage will prob be a bit higher since you can heat warmer (tstats will be higher) and not have to worry too much.
Last year we were using oil at around 65F stats and bitter...bitter on the price mostly.
Battled it out and then just had the 520 installed a month ago.

tstats are up to 70 (might even be happy enough to boost them up to 72F, but couldnt take the heat and to hot for us younger folk)
Lil bit less sq ft than you Gary, but looking like we will be around the 9 ton range.
Only because at 4000 sq, 180 yr old house with the only insulation here is under the EFM jacket!

Good Luck on all, and hope you get that puppy hooked up soon.

Edit: oh, and on keeping the tstats higher, we are still looking at minimum savings of 50% plus hot water (have to calc in the DHW electric savings to get the full picture)
and payback for us will be only a few years.
Your payback should be a couple years. Nice!

Rob
GoodProphets

Coal Size/Type: Anthra Rice
Other Heating: 3 Fireplaces

PostBy: gwgjr34 On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes, I'm expecting to burn 10+ tons per year, and hope to be quite happy doing so. I'm expecting a complete payback of the equipment + install in about three years which is MUCH quicker than any of the other options I considered before deciding on coal.
gwgjr34

PostBy: vermontday On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm

If you have room in your basement, you could use feed skids, fed from a remote basement window.

Use 1-7/8" concrete blocks to set the boiler on so if you ever want to use skids, the boiler auger will be low enought to fit under the edge of the skids. Face the boiler where you will have room for the skid.
vermontday

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

PostBy: Davian On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I couldn't imagine paying for 1000-2000 gallons of fuel oil...brutal expense there so congrats on the switch.

I think we used about 900 gallons in our first year in our home and then 150 gallons in our 2nd year after the stove was installed (hot water for showers, dishes, wash basically).
Davian

Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

PostBy: Pacowy On: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

vermontday wrote:If you have room in your basement, you could use feed skids, fed from a remote basement window.

Use 1-7/8" concrete blocks to set the boiler on so if you ever want to use skids, the boiler auger will be low enought to fit under the edge of the skids. Face the boiler where you will have room for the skid.

I admire very much the supersack/skid system vermontday has pioneered, but I'd note that the 900 has a different feed auger setup than a 520, so the requirements to make a skid system work may be a little different.

Mike
Pacowy

Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 am

Any updates on the 900?
Rob R.

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Visit Lehigh Anthracite