Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 am

I've found my limit which is -8° for more than a couple of days. I have both stoves cranked and can just about maintain 65 inside. I put the Jotul Allagash (propane) on at the far end and it's doing it's part. It's pretty impressive really considering this leaky old 226yr old sieve. This year I'm going to have a high tech energy audit done with infrared and that big fan they use to find leaks. Then try and shore the old gal up a bit and make it easier on the stoves. The inside storm windows have made a big difference already and I need to make the rest up for the remainder of the house. I'll never get it like Pierre up there in Canada at -17 and both his stoves just cruising at 350 but I can make it better..............we have the technology. ;)
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 am

Good idea to improve the house insulaions...often these details can make a real difference on the results. How many Sq F do you heat in the house?
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: lobsterman On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

I think -8 F is very good. Can't you "pay the man" for supplemental heat when it gets super cold? Should not be too bad if the coal is doing the bulk of the work. The coldest I have ever seen was +5 F last night. Ran the No. 6 at around 500 overnight and the house (2000 sq. ft.) was a bit cool (mid 60s) but not bad at all. She is located in prime living space which helps a lot because those rooms are warmer.
lobsterman

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: PJT On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm

lobsterman wrote:The coldest I have ever seen was +5 F last night.

Wow! Just wondering, how long have you lived there? I must be 50 miles south of you and I remember -20 on 12/25/80...of course that is extremely rare but +5, although I dont think weve seen it this year yet, is not....
PJT

Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm

nortcan wrote:Good idea to improve the house insulaions...often these details can make a real difference on the results. How many Sq F do you heat in the house?

It's about 2500sq feet Pierre. I'm not complaining because it's not this cold that often and 65° is not that bad for me. I put the little Jotul gasser on with the coal stoves and got the house to 70°. I could always use the furnace if it got any worse Lobsterman, but so far it's ok. I don't like it real hot anyways. The insulation audit will only help and make it easier for the stoves.
SteveZee

PostBy: wsherrick On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 am

buck24 wrote:william..... with this extremely cold weather we are having you have to be in Glenwood heaven with those stoves you have there. :D

Below Zero-No Problem O!! It's 75 in the house right now, running the stoves at half damper. Not even running them full out.
wsherrick

Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: buck24 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 am

william..... Don't forget about a nice video on the Glenwood # 9. I would really like to see her in action and how she operates. Your videos are really appreciated.
buck24

Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

PostBy: echos67 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 am

The temps here aren't as cold as a lot of you are getting, it's been in the low teens overnight and low 20's during the day and by moving the No 6 to the first floor it has no problems keeping up. I have only ran it up to 350/375 to stay in the low 70's inside.

I did acquire a Spring time project, our kitchen water lines are on an outside wall and the cold water side froze, last night when I was able to get it thawed out I left it running a small amount so it hopefully won't freeze again. I got very lucky it hasn't busted the pipe yet ! I have seen a lot of broken water mains in my weekly commute to work though.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 am

wsherrick wrote:
buck24 wrote:william..... with this extremely cold weather we are having you have to be in Glenwood heaven with those stoves you have there. :D

Below Zero-No Problem O!! It's 75 in the house right now, running the stoves at half damper. Not even running them full out.

That's the difference between a 226yr old house and one that is properly insulated! ;)
SteveZee

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Remember this is Cape Cod...
It never snows...
Everyday in summer is sunny...
The roses are still in bloom during November
While not very cold to others +5 is not a regular happening...
The ocean moderates our temps...
We do get cold snaps but the last few winters have been mild...
-5 and -10 have happened but maybe once every 6-8 years...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 pm

SteveZee wrote:
wsherrick wrote:

That's the difference between a 226yr old house and one that is properly insulated! ;)

Wind exposure and infiltration is the big equalizer. You can have 8" walls with perfectly fitted insulation...but add in some leaky windows and doors, a few drafts around the foundation...and suddenly the heat load has doubled compared to an identical house with no air leaks. Moving a house from the woods to an open field will also have a big impact on the heat load...but the tighter the house is, the less of a difference the wind makes.

Of course you can only get a home to a certain level of air-exchanges per hour before you run into problems much worse than a few extra pails of coal...mildew, condensation, higher levels of chemicals off-gassing from plastics & furniture, etc.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Never have to worry about to tight Rob! I am up on a hill though and it's breezy allot. Like to get a windmill for electric! But if I finish the rest of my indoor storm windows and address the doors, I think I'll be fine. Actually , like Cape Coaler says on the coast we have the ocean micro climate and it is not often that we're under zero. I'm not really complaining as the stoves are doing great really, I just would like to make it a little easier on them.
SteveZee

PostBy: gunloader55 On: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Emory, I bought the victor queen kitchen stove from you that came to NC, I'm looking for a base burner for this winter do you or anyone have one for sale at a reasonable price.Thanks
gunloader55

Stove/Furnace Model: Glenwood 6 & wm 414a

Visit Hitzer Stoves