A bit chilly out

Re: A bit chilly out

PostBy: plumber On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm

-2 this morning 7 for the high! Looks like the same for tomorrow.
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Yep, -3* here on the hill. Dogs didn't stay out very long. toothy
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Short Bus On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm

10 degrees, days getting longer, six minutes every day :) :)

Gaining two hours and ten minutes this month.
http://sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?c ... ack=Search
Short Bus

Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 am

On the good side the ice fishermen will be able to do their thing again, so far they have only gotten a little less than a week but better than last years zero. It brings business in to the locals, the down side is the local senior center has become a place where the elderly are coming to get warm more than any other reason, seems many are basically living in one or two rooms of their house or apt.. Please don't forget to check on your elderly friends & neighbors.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: mikey55 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am

-6 this am. Keystoker keeping hose at 70 no problem. Love this coal stuff. F off oil man. Lol
mikey55

Stoker Coal Boiler: key stoker ka6
Stove/Furnace Model: ka6

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 am

-5* here on the hill this AM. I'm watching the news & I got a question---how come with this ZERO kinda weather, in NYC & Boston kinda areas, they refer to it all as DEADLY ARTIC BLAST & up here it's just another day in the barn :clap: toothy sissy ass city people--seems like they even gotta tell city dumb-ass's to bundle up :doh: & not stay out for more then 30 seconds or they'll freeze solid :roll:
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 am

freetown fred wrote:-5* here on the hill this AM. I'm watching the news & I got a question---how come with this ZERO kinda weather, in NYC & Boston kinda areas, they refer to it all as DEADLY ARTIC BLAST & up here it's just another day in the barn :clap: toothy sissy ass city people--seems like they even gotta tell city dumb-ass's to bundle up :doh: & not stay out for more then 30 seconds or they'll freeze solid :roll:

It's because they got nowhere to make an igloo! 8-)
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 am

Cuts down on crime. Now they can't remember which layer they have their cold ass gun in. :lol:
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

PostBy: chester On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 am

10 below here this morning cap. its up to zero now ! :rambo2:
chester

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: Resolute0058 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 am

ugh.. woke up to hit the head around 3am and it was oddly pretty chilly in the bedroom. Stove was cranking when i went to bed and the house was around 75. got down stairs and it was still on side draft and glowing orange, but the heat output was pitiful. thermostat read 60.5... Go to click on the furnace to help catch up and a coil burnt out on the new furnace that i never really used yet other than to test it. seemed to be a bunch of crap coal got in my old Resolute and it took a bunch of poking and shaking to free it back up and get the air really moving through it again. blaschak nut coal btw, if anyone was curious.

it was a frustratingly slow, cold morning trying to get the house back up to temp with it being 5 degrees outside. Not really the best feeling as a provider today when i went back upstairs to put another blanket on my very pregnant wife in our cold home before i left for work.
Last edited by Resolute0058 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolute0058

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark II

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:11 am

Resolute0058 wrote:ugh.. woke up to hit the head around 3am and it was odly pretty chilly in the bedroom. Stove was crankin when i went to bed and the house was around 75. got down stairs and it was still on side draft and glowing orange, but the heat output was pitiful. thermostat read 60.5... Go to click on the furnace to help catch up and a coil burnt out on the new furnace that i never really used yet other than to test it. seemed to be a bunch of crap coal got in my old Resolute and it took a bunch of poking and shaking to free it back up and get the air really moving through it again. blaschak nut coal btw, if anyway was curious.

it was a frustratingly slow, cold morning trying to get the house back up to temp with it being 5 degrees outside. Not really the best feeling as a provider today when i went back upstairs to put another blanket on my very pregnant wife in our cold home before i left for work.

It happens so don't feel too badly. Especially when your burning the stove hard, you can get ash bridging with in the pile and clinkers. I make it a point of taking the poker to the pile and pushing on the edges and middle before shaking down. I usually see it sink too as the bridging ash lets go.
SteveZee

PostBy: WNY On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm

-6 this morning.

Keystoker just humming along.

Hyfire running about 64% feedrate keeping up.
WNY

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

PostBy: Wiz On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 pm

14 right now and going down to 4 tonight. Keystoker is keeping up with no problem.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: btrowe1 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Was -14 on thermo this am, TV had -10,Supposed to go down to possibly -20 tonight, House holding at 67, but seem to REALLY be burning thru the coal...Anyone else noticing this, maybe I just have forgotten how these cold spells use to be 2 years back.. at least we"re warm..
btrowe1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska stove

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 pm

btrowe1 wrote:Was -14 on thermo this am, TV had -10,Supposed to go down to possibly -20 tonight, House holding at 67, but seem to REALLY be burning thru the coal...Anyone else noticing this, maybe I just have forgotten how these cold spells use to be 2 years back.. at least we"re warm..

Me too. Been below zero and low singles for last 4 days. Maintaining, but pouring the coal to the stoves. 130lbs yesterday.
SteveZee