how much coal did you burn this past week

how much coal did you burn this past week

PostBy: lutz On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Well last sunday i got my koker running finally. Im all new to coal and how much i might burn. I know this can differ very much from setup ...house and so on. Does this sound about right to you guys....
This last week while its been super cold here i burned 550-600 pounds of coal in 7 days. The temps have been low single digits over night and high of 15 during the days all week. My living area is 2200sf, koker is in my unfinished basement and duct into my existing duct work. The temp in the house was set to 71 all week.

Is this in line to what i should expect to burn with temps like this....am i high low or right where i need to be?
lutz

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane furnace

Re: how much coal did you burn this past week

PostBy: tsb On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 pm

If your ashes look good and the wife is quiet, your right
in the ball park. With this weather, 60-80 lbs a day is not uncommon.
tsb

Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 pm

how big a house, how well insulated, good/bad windows, windy location, stove location, etc, etc, etc..... will all have an input on the amount of coal...

having said that....

I am in the same neighborhood as far as climate (well within two hours anyway) and burned about the same amount as you heating about 3000 sqft, stoker in the unfinished basement of a ranch house, well insulated, good windows & doors, not very windy here in the woods

so I'd say you are not too far off...the fun is tweaking the new toyl over the next couple weeks getting it dialed in and learning the personality of your stove / chimney setup! :D
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm on course for burning about 475 pounds this week.. 2400 square feet..
My norm is about 300 pounds a week..

Hand fed furnace using nut size anthracite 8-)
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

tsb wrote:If your ashes look good and the wife is quiet, your right
in the ball park. With this weather, 60-80 lbs a day is not uncommon.

:lol: :D

It took me 140 lbs yesterday to achieve those two goals.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 pm

506 lbs. burned here over the past full week. A full 40 lbs. more than I had calculated. That's about as far off as I've ever been on a weeks worth of calculated vs. actual usage. The high winds just might have had something to do with this after all.

326 HDD's (heating degree days) here for the week. The weeks mean average temp here was 18.4 degrees.

506/326 = 1.55 lbs. of coal per HDD for the week.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 pm

lsayre wrote:506 lbs. burned here over the past full week. A full 40 lbs. more than I had calculated. That's about as far off as I've ever been on a weeks worth of calculated vs. actual usage. The high winds just might have had something to do with this after all.

My thought is that efficiency will decline slightly as you push the appliance to produce more heat since a higher percentage of the total BTU's generated will inevitably make it up and out the chimney... I've noticed this as well just by comparing pounds of coal verses heating degrees :)
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: lutz On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Well i feel much better knowing im in the ball park. Being high on top a hill with lots of wind does not help lol. I have been getting use to how it reacts, wife thinks im nuts cause i wont sit still for more then 30 min then im up checking what its doing and temps lol. The best part is with these cold temps the koker does not even get close to its max feed rate to maintain house temp at 71. Dont think i`ll ever have to worry about it not being able to keep up
lutz

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane furnace

PostBy: Dennis On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I burned an additional 110 lbs more than the previous warm week with a total of 560 lbs, 70 degrees inside with DHW
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi boys,I know I'm a hand jobber but I burned 435# in the last 7 days all the while maintaining a cool 78*to 80* inside which keeps momma happy :D .Keepaeyeonit
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

Normally a bag a day 40lbs. x 7= 280lbs. I would say I'm up to 50-60lbs. per day for the week, I'll go with 400 lbs.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: PC 12-47E On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

Over the last week I have burned 550 - 600# of Nut Anthracite. The Temps have been in the single numbers for the days and just below zero at night.
The Estate Hetrola is in the basement and is my only heat source. I am heating about 3,200 sq/ft. The flue pipe is 6" with a MPD. and a fields control Baro damper. The Baro damper is set at -.05 W.C. with a Dwyer manometer.
Just a side note--If I cover the Baro with tin foil the manometer jumps up to -.15 :shock: The chimney is a two flue with 8"x8" tiles and is about 44' tall.

Stay warm,
Eddie
PC 12-47E

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

PostBy: hcarlow On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 am

460 lbs. for a full week here in northern Maine heating a well insulated small cape to 71 in an open area . I used 80 lbs. yesterday , that being the most I have ever burned in one day . It was very windy and cold here and the wife used lots of hot water yesterday .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: plumber On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

1020lbs this week!! Ouch!
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 am

plumber wrote:1020lbs this week!! Ouch!

Whoa!!!!... :notworthy:
Lightning