One valuable lesson with koker

One valuable lesson with koker

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

and my house. With temps in the single and syb zero temps I expected to burn more coal but the real lesson learned was the time it takes to bring indoor temps up. morning temps were -6 and my digital thermo was set to turn down to 62 while we were at work. So from 630a.m to 330p.m the house had a chance to drop in temp. How cold it got indoors I dont know but when I walked through the door at 5pm it was 64. The thermo is set to kick up 72 deg at 330p.m. So from 330p.m to 5p.m the koker managed to increase temp to 64 deg. It took til 10pm for the koker to heat the house to 71deg. This was after cranking the thermostat to 78 and increasing the feed rate a turn and a half from 6.5 to 8. I thought something was wrong as this sett up has been flawless so far this winter. Lesson learned...when its real cold, set the thermo to one temp and leave it.
fuccillo111

Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: koker

Re: One valuable lesson with koker

PostBy: CoaLen On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:47 pm

When I first switched from $$propane$$ to coal I wanted to set back my thermostat at night to save money. I quickly found that more than a 2 deg swing causes the Koker to overshoot. It's not the fault of the Koker, it's a characteristic of coal. It simply doesn't turn of and on like propane or gas. During this process I also realized that I still save a lot of money over propane even if I set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature and leave it there 24/7. So that's what I do now.
Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too! :D
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: no74falcon On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 pm

For sure just a product of coal. Nothing wrong with the stove. And yes, when it gets cold, set it and forget it. I have a LL Pioneer that I got long before Coal Trol was around and I'm glad as it taught me how to work the stove better. I definately learned to watch the weather and plan about a day ahead as to where I was gonna set the stove.
no74falcon

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: 2) Leisure Line Pioneers
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: 1) Hitzer 82FA, 1) Newmac WG100
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer, Newmac, Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: 82FA, WG100, Pioneer

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 am

fuccillo111 wrote: Lesson learned...when its real cold, set the thermo to one temp and leave it.

We are heating with a Train not a Plane :x The train will kick the planes ass if given enough time :!: Be patient and enjoy heat that is there for the long run :P
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: whistlenut On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

Set it and forget it......forget EVERYTHING the heating experts told you. You are in a new world of comfort, not governed by some lab rat techno nerd. Was that plain enough?????? For once in your life, YOU are in control of your homes destiny, relax and enjoy it, and if you care to share, you can let some folks know how it is working for you...... Slow and steady wins the race every single time!
Chalk one up for yourself today, 'atta boy'!!!
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: stovepipemike On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 am

An added thought as it relates to hot water systems in particular: lets not forget the added liability of freezing a piece of piping when the setback temperature stops the hot water circulation and "camps out"waiting for the next call for service some hours distant.Playing with setbacks can be a penny wise dollar foolish game in sub freezing temperatures. Mike
stovepipemike

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

PostBy: blrman07 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 am

I'll chime in here with some observations also. In my "previous life" I was an adjuster for an insurance company that insured boilers, machinery, and electrical equipment. I was based in Chicago and as most know it gets brutal cold and stays that way through the end of December to the middle of February. A freeze up there turned a building or a house into a Popsicle within a matter of 8 hours.

Most of the freeze up calls I went on was because the person was trying to save money by lowering the temps on the thermostat either manually or using a set back thermostat. In most cases the thermostat governs when the pump runs, not when the boiler runs. Water stops flowing on perimeter runs which are on outside walls. With zero or subzero temps, no water flowing in a pipe located on an outside wall equals frozen and ruptured piping in a system where the boiler temperature was 180 degrees F. If that water can't circulate guess what is going to happen.

Before moving to NE Pa. I had never fired with coal before. In our house we had outside Shamokin Pa. I learned very quickly how long it took the coal fired boiler to bring temps back up in the house. I learned we saved nothing by setting the thermostat back. What I did learn was it took on average about 4 hours for the boiler water to heat up, then circulate and heat the piping and radiators, then and only then it would start heating the house.

With coal appliances set em and forget em. Don't mess with anything when the temp outside starts dropping except to increase the feed rate. Set backs will beat you every time with a coal appliance.

Rev. Larry
blrman07

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Econo 1 stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice in the LL and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

ill most likely just leave it at 72 the rest of the season. this thing was crankin the heat for that 5 or 6 hours though. what was impressive was when i set the thermostat to 78 deg and increased feed rate, the huge 1500 cfm blower ran constanly as i also pulled the white button out to run manually, couldnt wash the heat off the exchanger, or whatever it is, fast enough. the dial stayed at 150 deg for about 2 hours! once the house got to 72 i set the blower back to automatic(125 and 155). im glad i was talked into buying this unit and would definatly recommend it to anyone. very impressive!
fuccillo111

PostBy: CoaLen On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the follow up. Glad it turned out well.
Our Koker has been keeping us nice and warm thru this cold spell. :dancing:
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: rockwood On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

blrman07 wrote: I learned we saved nothing by setting the thermostat back.

I agree :!:
rockwood

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm

My EXACT experiences with my Koker, played the setback game as well the first year and now I just leave it on 72 or 73.....

It really is amazing how 1536CFM's can't wash the heat off fast enough for sure...I could not believe it......

Keystoker says it is designed to run full bore indefinitely.......amazing!
jrn8265

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm

by they way do you know what the front temp was omn yours those two hours?

Mine has been at 750 degrees for hours stright with no issues....keystoker laughed at me when I asked if this was too hot for too long!
jrn8265

PostBy: WNYRob On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Wow! Mine has never gotten much above 400 and even that gets me a little nervous because I can start to see the front of the koker start to bow out.
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I didnt get a temp from the front but I sure couldnt get my hand close enough to touch. My next purchase will be a temp gauge for that.
fuccillo111

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 am

WNYRob,

That 750 is using a thermometer on the front just above the door. I also sometimes confirm the temp with a Temp gun when I see it that high. I have seen no bows or any concerns at this temperature. I think in the beginning I had temps at 850 on the front. That was with burning coals 1/2 from the end.
jrn8265

Visit Lehigh Anthracite