Picked up a 1928 Oakland #6 Baseheater! Heres my plan

Re: Picked up a 1928 Oakland #6 Baseheater! Heres my plan

PostBy: EarlH On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Earl and welcome to the forum! Your right the old stoves are easy to run and "everything is as it should be". I use two Glenwoods, the Modern oak 116 in my avatar (and middle of the house chimney) and a 208C range cook stove in the kitchen. They both heat my old house pretty well and as it should be. ;) The fact that you can run the furnace fan is pretty cool idea for those that had hot air. Helps to distribute the stove heat I bet.[/quote]

Turning on the furnace fan does make a big difference on some days. I don't always run it, but when it's really cold out, and since my stove is in the basement of a 2 story house, it does help the upstairs quite a lot. Plus, the stove does not have to burn as hot to get the air to circulate on its own. And I like that also. It's around 15 degrees here today and it burns up about 2 hods of coal a day and keeps the house ok. Not toasty by any means, but this stove is too small for that. When it's up into the 20's then it does a fine job. I work outside all day, so it's just fine for me. And I can always go downstairs and sit by it if I think I need to!
EarlH

Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm

EarlH wrote:Hi Earl and welcome to the forum! Your right the old stoves are easy to run and "everything is as it should be". I use two Glenwoods, the Modern oak 116 in my avatar (and middle of the house chimney) and a 208C range cook stove in the kitchen. They both heat my old house pretty well and as it should be. ;) The fact that you can run the furnace fan is pretty cool idea for those that had hot air. Helps to distribute the stove heat I bet.

Turning on the furnace fan does make a big difference on some days. I don't always run it, but when it's really cold out, and since my stove is in the basement of a 2 story house, it does help the upstairs quite a lot. Plus, the stove does not have to burn as hot to get the air to circulate on its own. And I like that also. It's around 15 degrees here today and it burns up about 2 hods of coal a day and keeps the house ok. Not toasty by any means, but this stove is too small for that. When it's up into the 20's then it does a fine job. I work outside all day, so it's just fine for me. And I can always go downstairs and sit by it if I think I need to![/quote]

Yep I hear that Earl. It's been low single and below zero for almost a week now here and I can maintain about 65 or so which is pretty good really for this old place. I do have a steam boiler but am loath to run it. I also have a third propane Jotul stove on my third chimney. If I fire that up during the coldest days with the two coal stoves I adds about 5 degrees to the downstairs. I don't like it too hot anyways. Like to sleep cool. 8-)
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: lobsterman On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Amen! Why stress yourself and your stove by pushing it to the limit-- OK I admit it may be fun in the fist year to see what she will do without paying the man at all but-- why not run the coal at medium, enjoy long, steady, regular burn times with even heat output with the pleasure that the coal is doing most of the heating and then supplement as wanted for convenience? Am I getting too old and soft? Even the great Larry Trainer of Chubby fame told me he only burns one ton per year.
lobsterman

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm

lobsterman wrote:Amen! Why stress yourself and your stove by pushing it to the limit-- OK I admit it may be fun in the fist year to see what she will do without paying the man at all but-- why not run the coal at medium, enjoy long, steady, regular burn times with even heat output with the pleasure that the coal is doing most of the heating and then supplement as wanted for convenience? Am I getting too old and soft? Even the great Larry Trainer of Chubby fame told me he only burns one ton per year.

Nope I hear ya Lobster. My boiler is almost new also so prolly good to give it a little excersize here and there on those below zero days. I ran it a couple days ago set to fire if the kitchen dropped below 64° and it came on in the night and evened up the heat through out the place.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Visit Hitzer Stoves