Channing iii heat setting

Channing iii heat setting

PostBy: Pocono Pete On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I have a Alaska Channing iii and with this cold spell I have had the auto heat control box set at #3. This setting keeps the house warm during the day but in the morning I use my oil heat just to bring the temperature up for the wife. I was wondering what some of the other members living in nepa with channing iii's have been running their stokers at, I know insulation has a lot to do with it but is anyone running their stoker above #3. I just run the stove with a few fans to move the heat around.
Pocono Pete

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 111

Re: Channing iii heat setting

PostBy: ken kubu On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 am

Pete,

Same stove,located in NEPA. Setting 3 using 60 lbs a day in this weather. House 2100 sq. ft. Temp 72 daytime, 70 night time.
About the same setting. Usage up about 20 lbs. I don't weigh buckets. Use a 5 gal. plastic bucket. So 1 1/2 bucket in this cold spell.I believe first time constantly on the # 3 setting. Stove temp. 425 deg. stack 250. Ash pan is full daily.

Ken
ken kubu

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaskan
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

PostBy: Pocono Pete On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Ken,

Thanks for your input, I have a older two story house with no insulation. I have been using about 80# a day and using oil heat in the morning but this is a lot cheaper than using 6 or 7 gallons of oil each day. My channing has direct vent and the temp on the side of the stove is about 450 deg. I was trying to see what other people had their stokers set at, I don't think I want to move the heat control much higher than #3. Thanks for the info.

Pete
Pocono Pete

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Ed.A On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Welp for the last 3 days it's been 0-10* f overnite-morning 20 for a high in NE Conn. I run normally at 2-1/2 but with the lows now I've now run it 3-1/2 and I get @ 400/425 stove temp with 150* stack temp. I've electric primary set at 60* and only get the "tick" sounding off a few times a day.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: Pocono Pete On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Ed A,

Sounds like it's a little warmer in Conn than in the Pocono's. This morning at 1am it was -6 degrees and right now it's 8 degrees. just wondering how many square ft. you are heating and how much coal you are burning each day. How long have you been running your stove at 3 1/2 and what are house temps. If this cold doesn't break soon I may have to up my setting. Thanks.
Pocono Pete

PostBy: scout2g11 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 am

I have the same stove I am alittle confused on your guys numbers. I have two sets of numbers on mine one for idle and one for t stat. not sure exactly how to understand them really. right now I have them on 12 for idle and 35 for tstat. house upstairs is 70 in basement where unit is 73. i am happy with the heat but would like to understand alittle better what each one does. those numbers are only bc of the 0 degress nights in upstate new york i normaly run it at 8 idle and 30 tstat.
scout2g11

PostBy: Ed.A On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 am

Pocono Pete wrote:Ed A,

Sounds like it's a little warmer in Conn than in the Pocono's. This morning at 1am it was -6 degrees and right now it's 8 degrees. just wondering how many square ft. you are heating and how much coal you are burning each day. How long have you been running your stove at 3 1/2 and what are house temps. If this cold doesn't break soon I may have to up my setting. Thanks.

Pete, a bit over 1600sq ft. (raised Ranch finished basement/living area & master bedroom) typically 68-70* 40lb bag a day. I drop it back to 2-1/2 -3 during the day when the dogs are the only occupants. The numbers on the rheostat are not really calibrated so mine is prolly a bit different than yours. There was a topic on this years ago. Pretty much find the setting that works for you and stick with it.
Ed.A

PostBy: Ed.A On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 am

scout2g11 wrote:I have the same stove I am alittle confused on your guys numbers. I have two sets of numbers on mine one for idle and one for t stat. not sure exactly how to understand them really. right now I have them on 12 for idle and 35 for tstat. house upstairs is 70 in basement where unit is 73. i am happy with the heat but would like to understand alittle better what each one does. those numbers are only bc of the 0 degress nights in upstate new york i normaly run it at 8 idle and 30 tstat.

Really, two settings? can we see pictures of your stove?
Ed.A

PostBy: Pocono Pete On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your input I guess I was just trying to see what setting other people where running their stokers at. I forgot that each control box will be a little different they are not same as far as settings go. scout2g11 I have a basic alaska channing iii with the heat controlled by a rheostat numbered 1-5. A setting of 1 of 1 is the lowest amount of heat output and 5 being the highest.
Pocono Pete

Visit Lehigh Anthracite