winter water problems

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

winter water problems

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Just wondering how many cities are experiencing problems like Erie. Erie has a water main break that they have been looking for for three days now, in the meantime they think they found it, fix it & it wasn't the problem. It was much the same when I lived near Pittsburgh, all the old cities infrastructure is just that "old" but there is always money for some other country to repair stuff that we bombed & didn't have to or to have some kind of subsidy for someone or a study about the sex life of some insect, all the while our cities are crumbling.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: winter water problems

PostBy: Dann757 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm

OK here's some thoughtful intelligence. The demographics of small country towns are such that there is very little tax base to afford infrastructure repairs. I took a ride down the NJ Turnpike a while back, looks like they're putting at least a billion bucks into improvements. Hurricane Sandy had the same effects as bombing for sure, all the lights are back on, some towns are devastated still but the repairs will get done by industrious workers.

samhill wrote:but there is always money for some other country to repair stuff that we bombed & didn't have to or to have some kind of subsidy for someone or a study about the sex life of some insect, all the while our cities are crumbling.

Who are the ones who hand out American money? Liberals like Hillary Clinton who gives it away like Halloween candy. Democrats raise taxes, waste the money on welfare for the lazy, which drives industry away.

Who did we bomb that we didn't have to? Nazi Germany? Imperial Japan? Iraq after Hussein INVADED our ally Kuwait? Pehaps military action won't come into discussion soon, as Obama continues to gut our military to the point where a billion unified muslims will be able to just take the country with scmitars and sharpened leaf springs.
Dann757

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Gee Dann, this is under the thoughtful & intelligent thread, I didn't say we didn't have to bomb anybody (we did over bomb lately) why should we be modernizing our enemies who in a few years will be our trading partners that will be working with all new while we are still using the old? Used to be to the victor goes the spoils but we rebuild them, how much did Russia do for the Afghans when they left? We shut most of our steel production & other manufacturing down because of the new we helped Europe build after those wars. Many of those businesses are at least partially American owned or run that we get no tax for as they take our jobs. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about & it didn't happen in the last four years but has been going on for decades.
samhill

PostBy: plumb-r On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 pm

What happened to all those shovel ready jobs? I know most every little town got government money to redo Main st. They even got TARP money to pave the road around the town park in one burg I know of. If your going to give it away at least put it somewhere will it will do some good. ;)
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

PostBy: samhill On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm

They were supposed to be for the most part just that, shovel ready & school improvements, however many Gov. & local politicians used the funds for their own budgets or pet pork. His mistake was not making it idiot proof. But once again this is about the current cold weather related problems that most northern cities have just about every winter. Erie Water Works dates back to the 1860s with most of the city proper being that old & naturally the outer city no so old but old none the less. By the way you should tell me what happened to the TARP money.
samhill

PostBy: jpete On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

How are Raytheon, Haliburton, General Electric, General Dynamics, Northrup Grumman, et al going to make money if we aren't bombing the rest of the planet?

No money in fixing water mains.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 am

jpete wrote:How are Raytheon, Haliburton, General Electric, General Dynamics, Northrup Grumman, et al going to make money if we aren't bombing the rest of the planet?

No money in fixing water mains.

Jpete, next time you warm your coffee in your microwave, you can thank Raytheon. Without these companies the US would have been defeated in WW II and you and your anti-everything attitude wouldn't even exist . Sorry for the drift, it's the ingratitude that gets to me.

============================

Northrop Grumman designed and produced the U.S. Air Force B-2 stealth bomber, one of the most survivable aircraft in the world. The B-2's smooth, flying wing shape contributes to its radar-evading stealth characteristics.
"Northrop Grumman has been a pioneer in low-observable aircraft technology for decades," said Meyer. "We were the first to move from facet design concepts to smooth surface features, which were initially proven on our Tacit Blue demonstration aircraft and further proven on the B-2."
http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/page ... l?d=167827

http://www.raytheon.com/ourcompany/history/leadership/index.html
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.

Following the American declarations of war against the Axis powers, Electric Boat and its Elco Yacht and Electro Dynamic subsidiaries mobilized for production at full capacity. This sudden expansion in output caused a serious labor shortage, which was filled by women, who took jobs as welders and riveters. During the war, the Electric Boat companies produced hundreds of submarines, surface ships, and PT boats, contributing greatly to the success of island fighting in the Pacific. When the war ended in 1945, the Navy reduced its orders for new vessels.

1937:
John Jay Hopkins joins company and is instrumental in its revival through the production of hundreds of submarines, surface ships, and PT boats during World War II.
1947:
Canadair Limited is acquired.
1952:
General Dynamics Corporation is established as a successor to Electric Boat and as a parent company for Electric Boat and Canadair.
1954:
General Dynamics acquires Consolidated Vultee Aircraft, which becomes the Convair Division; Electric Boat launches the first nuclear submarine, the Nautilus.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... n-history/

---------------------------------------------
To get back to the thread topic, I'm sorry the O.P. equates the need for infrastructure maintenance with those horrible corporations that saved our country in the face of unbridled aggression.
Most of the world still lives in abject poverty, with limited access to fresh water; let alone water main problems. Amazing how some people just pick the nearest larger entity to criticize.
Dann757

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Talk to the General.

You're right, we should continue to borrow from China to fund the Muslim Brotherhood so that I can heat my coffee in a microwave. :roll:

It's got nothing to do with churning the war machine for a profit. I wasn't aware that profiting on the blood of American men and women would be high on your list of things to defend.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 pm

I like Ike!

I don't understand this belief that the federal government should fund everything.

Fix your own damn pipes or do without. That's what I do. If a city can't provide water by charging the users of that water then it just has to die. Nothing else makes sense.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 am

I've worked for a lot of companies, but must say General Dynamics is probably the best I ever worked for.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 am

Ditto what franco said. Local govt's seem to be real big offenders when it comes to sucking the fed teet. Of course, it don't affect their payscale. :(
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 am

I don't disagree that most if not all cities should fund their own infrastructure but sadly that's not the case, I don't know when, if or how they originally built it but in my lifetime & before the Fed has always at the very least supplied matching funds. When you think about it would you really trust local Gov. to sit on infrastructure funds without blowing it on something else & I know the Fed does the same but every local mayor or council would be one term & running out of country to retire. The thing I'm getting at is much needs done right here but we spent billions rebuilding other countries that either are, become our enemies or underbid & entice American businesses to go their for better infrastructure & lower wages. We then give American business incentives for doing so, change the laws so they don't pay tax & then in many cases subsidize them, we (as in Gov.) just created & financed our own demise & continue to ignore our own country. Just doesn't make much sense.
samhill

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 am

OK Samhill, you asked for people to come together and work together. I agree with most of what you are saying. We probably just disagree on whose fault it is. I just lean way farther right; why? That is what gives me some probably futile sense of security. The water main you mention might have been installed in 1900 or something, with less cast iron technology or whatever. They couldn't envision the population increase 100 years into the future I'm sure.
That military industrial complex thing goes back even farther than Eisenhower. There have always been those that despise munitions makers. I would just prefer to be on the winning side. Especially when the survival of freedom is at stake.
Dann757

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 am

Dann, your still missing the point, why do we rebuild other countries & let ours fall apart internally, the main in Erie goes back to 1865, so how many countries have we helped since then? The sad thing is I just picked Erie because I get Erie news, we have no local, & from what I know Pittsburgh & most other places I have lived have much the same problems. The scary thing is if we let cities handle it there my be more city engineers like Erie has that decide that to help find the leak just jack up the water pressure on these old lines :roll: & they can't figure out why other breaks are happening.
The only thing I ever even remotely said about the military complex is that we bombed lets say over enthusiastic in some cases, you brought in all the rest I was just wondering how many other areas are experiencing the same problem trying to keep it as unpolitical as possible.
samhill

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 am

jpete wrote:You're right, we should continue to borrow from China to fund the Muslim Brotherhood so that I can heat my coffee in a microwave.

Ok I'll try to work with you too. That's the last thing I want. I think you're a rigid Ron Paul idealogue. He was booed in the debates when he said we should treat Iran with The Golden Rule. I was pointing out the benefits of technology. It's not all bad.

jpete wrote:It's got nothing to do with churning the war machine for a profit. I wasn't aware that profiting on the blood of American men and women would be high on your list of things to defend.

That's also the last thing I want. That is an emotional response and neither thoughtful or intelligent. I'll take responsibility for my own emotionalism if you will.

I have contemplated the human race many times, amazed that we utilize all our intelligence and resources to create weapons of war. Of course it would be better to build water systems than to build battleships. Go back 30,000 years, the whole history of mankind seems to be one of conflict arising from our animal nature, and our propensity for aggression, territoriality, selfishness, and greed. I hope the human race can evolve one way or the other. :)
Dann757