Raw coal pile

Raw coal pile

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey all. I have new koker 160k direct vent and after removing the ash pan for cleaning I noticed a small 4" pile of raw unburned coal, as well as raw unburned coal on either side of the grate where it comes through the wall of the stove. My feed screw is at 6.5 turns and combustion shutter plate is about half covered. Any ideas as to what causes this? Thanks a lot.
fuccillo111

Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: koker

Re: Raw coal pile

PostBy: McGiever On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

If Koker is new, as you say, then grate should be still clean underneath.

So, I'd say you need more combustion air or less draft...maybe both. ;)
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 pm

my draft does seem to creep up towards .05 .06 frequently. Then when I adjust it down slightly, I wake uo the next morning and its barely bouncing off the bottom of my manometer. Seems my draft is always too high or too low. I do have a long horrizontal run(12ft) with about a 6" pitch. Keystoker recomended more like a 12" pitch but its the best I could manage so... Ive been thinkin hooking up a rheostat to the dv motor and set a controller to adjust the motor speed base on set points on the controller. Full burn would be between "x" and "x" and idle would be between "x" and "x". Dunno if this is possible but its just a thought. The draft would always b perfect therefore as effecient as possible.
fuccillo111

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:34 am

Update on this issue. I shut down a couple weeks ago to clean everything and found the source of raw coal sneaking into the bottom of the koker. Theres a 1/4" gap where the grate "butts" up to the rear wall of the koker and some coal is allowed to escape through the gap before its journey down the burner and end up on the bottom of the koker. I had hing to fill the gap with so ill get some kao-wool at work and fill it this spring. What weird is my stepdad gets the same pile of unburned coal at tne bottom of his koker. Maybe its supposed to do this, I dont know.
fuccillo111

PostBy: vulcan On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 am

fuccilo,

This is my 1st year burning coal and have a new koker, I also get the 2 small piles of raw coal it is noticeable but not very much I vacum it when I clean it out. I have seen the source and have the small gap you are talking about too. I am not sure if it is suppose to be like that but it doesn't seem to cause any problem.
vulcan

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker koker 160

PostBy: Dennis On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 am

fuccillo111 wrote:Update on this issue. I shut down a couple weeks ago to clean everything and found the source of raw coal sneaking into the bottom of the koker. Theres a 1/4" gap where the grate "butts" up to the rear wall of the koker and some coal is allowed to escape through the gap before its journey down the burner and end up on the bottom of the koker. I had hing to fill the gap with so ill get some kao-wool at work and fill it this spring. What weird is my stepdad gets the same pile of unburned coal at tne bottom of his koker. Maybe its supposed to do this, I dont know.
vulcan wrote:fuccilo,

This is my 1st year burning coal and have a new koker, I also get the 2 small piles of raw coal it is noticeable but not very much I vacum it when I clean it out. I have seen the source and have the small gap you are talking about too. I am not sure if it is suppose to be like that but it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

That dosen't sound right,Some one with your stove will chime in, or call keystoker and see what they say.
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: CoaLen On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 am

fuccillo111,
I hope this helps...

CoaLen On: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:07 pm
I had (have?) the same issue with my Koker. The sides of the "grate" don't go all the way back to the back wall of the furnace. There's about a 1/4" vertical gap. As the stoker bar pushes coal down the grate, some of the smaller pieces fall off to the side through this gap. It collects on the shelf below the stoker unit and once that area is filled, begins to collect on the floor of the furnace.
I cleaned all the ashes and coal off the grate and all the coal out of the hopper. I then cut a couple of pieces of rope gasket material to the proper length and pushed them into the gaps. This should prevent any coal from falling through, keeping it all in front of the pusher bar.
I'm assuming the gaps are simply a clearance designed into the furnace and stoker assembly to prevent any assembly problems. I checked mine very closely before doing anything, to make sure something couldn't be tightened to draw the stoker closer into the back of the furnace. Everything looked good, so I went ahead with my fix.

Members running a Keystoker DV
CoaLen

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: fuccillo111 On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks len! thats what ill do this spring. i will also email kerstoker and see what they say about this issue, if it is an issue, and post my findings.
fuccillo111

Visit Lehigh Anthracite