how much coal did you burn this past week

Re: how much coal did you burn this past week

PostBy: plumber On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 am

I brought my ashes out this morning and its 15 out. No jacket, its a heat wave!! It's going to hit 25 today, woooooo!!
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: hcarlow On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 am

plumber wrote:I brought my ashes out this morning and its 15 out. No jacket, its a heat wave!! It's going to hit 25 today, woooooo!!

If you have any extra heat send some up my way , no relief up here until Monday . That 110 must have been going steady for the whole week to use that much coal .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: chester On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am

Didnt keep track,didnt care.I was warm and thats what i bought the stove for ! :rambo2:
chester

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: 331camaro On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 am

i didnt keep track either. everything just kept clipping along. got down to -10 at night and boiler had no prob keeping up. very impressed.
331camaro

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I went through 350 pounds of coal this week. Running the stove between 530*-560*. I'm of course basing this off of a coal hod that holds 35# of nut.

I guess I could throw in a few more pounds too because I'd have to also use about 1-2 grain scoop fulls a day as well. Not sure how much coal that holds. So, maybe 380#s...not really sure how to calculate that.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Joeski On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am

plumber wrote:1020lbs this week!! Ouch!

Holy Hell what are you heating? I couldn't imagine what the cost would be if it was oil or propane or electric.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: plumber On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

840 lbs through the boiler- 1700 sq feet kept at 68
180 lbs through the stove in my shop - 750 sq ft kept around 55-60

I used to average 600-700 gallons of oil per year. I don't even want to think about electric @ $0.14 per kw!

This week has been crazy! I usually average 500 lbs per week in the winter, heck last January was 1,720 lbs for the month.
However, last year was wacky and mostly mild. I was looking through my log and one week the high one day was 20 and 65 the next. This year is normal New England winter weather.
plumber

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm

360lbs in the house, 280 in the shop.
Ed.A

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

PostBy: Joeski On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am

plumber wrote:840 lbs through the boiler- 1700 sq feet kept at 68
180 lbs through the stove in my shop - 750 sq ft kept around 55-60

I used to average 600-700 gallons of oil per year. I don't even want to think about electric @ $0.14 per kw!

This week has been crazy! I usually average 500 lbs per week in the winter, heck last January was 1,720 lbs for the month.
However, last year was wacky and mostly mild. I was looking through my log and one week the high one day was 20 and 65 the next. This year is normal New England winter weather.

Ok, I see how you can use that much. And after thinking about it I probably used 700 pounds myself. Your # just blew me away because it's over 1000 pounds. I guess I haven't thought about the amount used until I read this thread.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: Frackstoker On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 am

lutz wrote:Well last sunday i got my koker running finally. Im all new to coal and how much i might burn. I know this can differ very much from setup ...house and so on. Does this sound about right to you guys....
This last week while its been super cold here i burned 550-600 pounds of coal in 7 days. The temps have been low single digits over night and high of 15 during the days all week. My living area is 2200sf, koker is in my unfinished basement and duct into my existing duct work. The temp in the house was set to 71 all week.

Is this in line to what i should expect to burn with temps like this....am i high low or right where i need to be?

Did you buy the Koker that was advertised on Craigslist? I was checking that ad out. I would love to have a Koker, but don't think I have enough space, at least for meeting the specs/code. Have a Keystoker 90 that does pretty well....
Frackstoker

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Blaschak
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil Boiler

PostBy: BigFoot On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm

i never wight my coal ,norm 10 full reg sq coal shovels, over night last week 12 or13 shovels ,I got a lot of small chunks in the ash ,2,100 sq ft at 68 ,ashes came in handy for my driveway !
BigFoot

Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: AA130

PostBy: mdrelyea On: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 pm

With the cold snap broken, I've compiled the numbers. I burned somewhere between 50 and 70 pounds per day depending on the outdoor temp and other factors like wind speed. I circled the 5 data points that represent the average daily temp and pounds used for those days.
Graph.png
(43.99 KiB) Viewed 26 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Red circle is around the data points from the latest cold snap
[nepathumb]40144[/nepathumb]
mdrelyea

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice/Nut

PostBy: McGiever On: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

chester wrote:Didnt keep track,didnt care.I was warm and thats what i bought the stove for ! :rambo2:

Me too, I do know, I always dump my 1 bushel ash tub once a week whether it needs it or not. ;)
Other than that I didn't have to touch a thing on the Axeman all week. :D
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: wilder11354 On: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

figuer it was around 740 pounds for 7 days, highest high was saturday, 16 degrees, rest of days highs were 08*-10* all mornings were sub 0, lowest -10 but most were-08. Maintained 68-70 degrees in house, no foundation, homes on piers(closed in) floors insulated underneath between joists. Really need to get some gas royalty checks, get a foundation put in, then move boiler to basement and redo plumbing. Good thing..68* feels real good to 0*. :D
wilder11354

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

PostBy: sterling40man On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

About 900 lbs. Never used that amount in one week before.
sterling40man

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

Visit Lehigh Anthracite