4 out fires today so far

Re: 4 out fires today so far

PostBy: Mark (PA) On: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Hall's have an EFM 1300 heating their shop... Since I brought it up I had to look..

More about it here if you want to read. maybe you can go off some of their info... not sure..

EFM 1300
Mark (PA)

Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

PostBy: Phil May On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Its just the buck I got. I think it is too big. The water going in the slab around 115-120 in shop. the house has 5 zones basement 115, garage 90 the rest are indirect water heater and 2 baseboard zones. 1 baseboard zone does not have enough fin so it runs continously when below 20 out side.
Phil May

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 700

PostBy: Phil May On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am

The Blashack rice fixed the problem 100%. The cold weather has the 700 on full blast now 350-400lb/day but I am warm. Heading to Lenigs next week if truck passes inspection. Not sure if I am going to stick with rice or buck. After the last episode with buck I am a little leary of it.
Phil May

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Buck will be fine if it is properly sized...I run it in my 520 with no issues. If you are more comfortable with rice, that is fine also. The biggest difference between the two is the airflow at high feed rates. With rice you can run out of air before you run out of coal...with buck, that is unlikely.

Rice or buck...make sure you call ahead and see what they have in stock at the breaker.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Pacowy On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Phil May wrote:The Blashack rice fixed the problem 100%. The cold weather has the 700 on full blast now 350-400lb/day but I am warm. Heading to Lenigs next week if truck passes inspection. Not sure if I am going to stick with rice or buck. After the last episode with buck I am a little leary of it.

That unit was designed for buck. When I burned rice in my 700 stoker I couldn't get full output from it. If you want to see "full blast" put some good buck in it and turn it up (adjusting feed and air to maintain a proper ash ring, of course). I've never tried Lenig's but have run bigger EFM's on buck from several sources. Those units can burn rice, but I'd only do it if no reasonable buck is available, or maybe if you run in summer for DHW. In general I don't think there's an advantage to using rice, and buck sometimes is less $/ton.

Mike
Pacowy

Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

PostBy: Phil May On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm

I took the buck back and exchanged it for rice. It is the same coal but smaller. The rice is like undersized buck and is burning fine. Lesson learned.
Phil May

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

When you finally get some high quality buck of the proper size I think you will be impressed.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy