Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 am

Thomas12980 wrote:I'm in Saint Regis Falls. I just looked outside at the thermometer on my porch. I'm seeing minus 23 degrees. Where I'm at in the house [circa 1910] my room temperature is around 76-78 degrees. Only thing running is my pot bellied stove. I put fire brick inside the thing yesterday - 6 bricks along the lower ledge. This way, should I poke around inside around the edges, the burnt coal disintegrates and falls below where I can shake it out, instead of just gathering on that lip inside. My procedure before shaking is to add coal in a heap in the middle. let it get going with blue flames. then I open the damper wide open, pull my modified shaker grate out all the way, and poke around with a half inch rod all the way around the outside edges. then push the shaker grate in and out quite vigorously until I see an orange glow. then shove it all the way in, close up the manual damper almost closed and regular the burn rate with the ashpan damper. after a while I empty the ashpan.



Hey Thomas,

-23F! Sounds like you have a ncie set-up. It was -18F in the early AM here.... had to turn on a space heater for the ladies
this morning....
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Son of a Gun,

I must be losing-it! Last night, I forgot to mix the nut with stove coal. I noticed in the really cold weather, larger mix of coal will extend the time between recharging.

This morning I laid a load of Stove coal onto the burning bed....she's kicking out a nice steady rate of 700F.

Tonight is a -20 F night, I think coal stove is on order for the Godin as well.
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 am

vmi1983 wrote:Son of a Gun,

I must be losing-it! Last night, I forgot to mix the nut with stove coal. I noticed in the really cold weather, larger mix of coal will extend the time between recharging.

This morning I laid a load of Stove coal onto the burning bed....she's kicking out a nice steady rate of 700F.

Tonight is a -20 F night, I think coal stove is on order for the Godin as well.



The stove-nut range coal fuel kept the VigII burning at 700-730 F thru the coldest night thus far...with the Godin, half the house hovered at 67* except for a cold spot..
Great stoves...
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Glad that you found the right pairing of coal for the right pair of coal stoves :clap: :clap: :clap:
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:36 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Glad that you found the right pairing of coal for the right pair of coal stoves :clap: :clap: :clap:


Hey VigIIPB, threw a layer of stove on this evening... the Vig is burning steady @ 700f. Since the lows have been -2,-3 which quite warm
relative to the last week, the house is toasty. The Godin and Vig are performing well. BTW, I have not burned oil all year....
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 am

The temps will climb to the 40s (high) on wednesday. I have a bunch of range coal (nut/pea) in the rear of the bin. I have switched from
pure nut and will be burning range. Still have some Stove-Coal for next week (when the temps drop again.)
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 am

I'll let the mighty Vig cruise at low speed for the next few days, like 400-500F... might even remove the side ports and vacuum the
passages using the Loveless Ash-Vac, but I just cleaned them 10 days ago.. I have cracked some windows.. the fresh air is nice... feels
like a spring evening in the house... good news, I am now certain I will not burn any oil this season, space heaters are in storeage..
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 am

vmi1983 wrote:I'll let the mighty Vig cruise at low speed for the next few days, like 400-500F... might even remove the side ports and vacuum the passages using the Loveless Ash-Vac, but I just cleaned them 10 days ago...>8...


Do you shut down to remove the clean-out plates? I've cleaned the two side on the fly. Never attempted the rear port, can't figure how to do that with out Gumby's arms :lol:
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
vmi1983 wrote:I'll let the mighty Vig cruise at low speed for the next few days, like 400-500F... might even remove the side ports and vacuum the passages using the Loveless Ash-Vac, but I just cleaned them 10 days ago...>8...


Do you shut down to remove the clean-out plates? I've cleaned the two side on the fly. Never attempted the rear port, can't figure how to do that with out Gumby's arms :lol:



I do not shut down the stove. I remove the covers and clean out the passages when there a large bed of ash between the grates and coals. This keeps the area near the plates much cooler. If there is a shallow layer of ash, forget it, it's too hot for me. I open the ash door and go under the thru the ash door opening, so yeah, I am on my side, on the floor, working up thru the ash door... son holds flashlight.
I use the slicer to help level and re-position the cover and one hand to re-slot the piece. If I want the rear cover removed, I call on Wadhams Ironworks
for help. I have done the rear before, but Wadhams is the pro!

The two sides have much more ash than the rear any how so cleaning the sides is sufficient.... the Loveless sucks up the ash build up. Job is quick... maybe 5 minutes a side. The key for me is the slicer. I turn it horizontal and place it under the aft end of the cover, holding
the plate parallell and allows easier re-slotting, so once the far end of the cover is in place, next the slicer is used to apply force against the side
wall of the cover. This hold the cover in place but allows me to re-set the plate firmly.
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Yup, pretty much how I've done it too. I'll never tackle the rear plate while the fire is up. Can't reach that far without suffering the next two day :? Damn old bones :roll: It took me a while to figure out that's what the notch in the end of the slicer is for. With just a little angle on the slicer, you can pull or push the plate into or out by catching the bent tab in the slicer's notch.

Right now, my slicer is a bit worn after so may seasons of poking and prodding around the grates. I have a template of the notch so all I have to do is copy it and grind and file a new notch on the end. I didn't mean make a template, but I did one morning after a 12 hour midnight shift :shock: :mad:
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Very good idea about the slicer used for the clean out covers. Some :idea: can be found on the forum. I never imaginated the reason for the notch at the end of the slicer tool :oops: , just thinking it was for a better slicing job when holding the notch upward :cry2: .
Knowing that, now I could get an other Vigll :D
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Yup, pretty much how I've done it too. I'll never tackle the rear plate while the fire is up. Can't reach that far without suffering the next two day :? Damn old bones :roll: It took me a while to figure out that's what the notch in the end of the slicer is for. With just a little angle on the slicer, you can pull or push the plate into or out by catching the bent tab in the slicer's notch.

Right now, my slicer is a bit worn after so may seasons of poking and prodding around the grates. I have a template of the notch so all I have to do is copy it and grind and file a new notch on the end. I didn't mean make a template, but I did one morning after a 12 hour midnight shift :shock: :mad:


Wow, the slicer I use is so worn, there's no notch period. It's like a pointed butterknife! It has been with the stove since it came from VC... maybe the originals did not have the notch??? Yeah, no reason to go to the rear outlet, AFAIK, but Wadhams is hard-core and very dexterous, and much younger!

BTW, those 2" raised angle bricks Wadhams cast last year are a great addition to the stove.

Man it's warm in the house tonight.... front door is open and storm is cracked 12", back door storm window wide open, plus two other windows open. Feels like a summer night with some a/c going. I'm wearing shorts, sandals, and OMG, no shirt!!!!

The mighty Vig is idling at a hard 450F... just recharged, blue ladies arrived.

And that reminds me Nortcan and VigIIPB, after running the Godin, I noticed I did not need to open the MPD while recharging. It takes all
of 10 minutes for the coal to ignite, ok maybe a bit longer. No puffbacks... So with the Vig, I tried recharging and then immediately
close the damper... the fresh coal ignites quick enough, but somtimes the ignition is left to right meaning the left side burns sooner resulkting in an uneven burn. So it's best to keep the damper open for an even ignition of the fresh coal.

Well I am enjoying the one day or so of warm weather... the second artic blast is building as I write. Within days I'll be back in the single digits (lows).
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 am

nortcan wrote:Very good idea about the slicer used for the clean out covers. Some :idea: can be found on the forum. I never imaginated the reason for the notch at the end of the slicer tool :oops: , just thinking it was for a better slicing job when holding the notch upward :cry2: .
Knowing that, now I could get an other Vigll :D


Nortcan,

How's the weather in Quebec during the cold snap? What was your lowest temp? I know you have an antique baseburner, how;s that stove working and do you still use your Vig?

Thanks
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 pm

vmi1983 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Very good idea about the slicer used for the clean out covers. Some :idea: can be found on the forum. I never imaginated the reason for the notch at the end of the slicer tool :oops: , just thinking it was for a better slicing job when holding the notch upward :cry2: .
Knowing that, now I could get an other Vigll :D

Nortcan
How's the weather in Quebec during the cold snap? What was your lowest temp? I know you have an antique baseburner, how;s that stove working and do you still use your Vig?
Thanks

Hi vmi1983. The lowest temp we got here this Winter was -27*C/ -16*F. I have 2 base burner, one very small in a small living room and an other heating the rest of the whole house 2100 SqFt. These stoves make a very good job. I sold the Vigll, sometime a little $ is good . I made many modifs on the Vig and got a real good result, I can say that the stove took less anth and gave about the same heat output if not more...maybe you saw the vid. I made for a 24 Hrs period scedule with it. The Vigll has very good points like the long gases path like a base burner, an internal damper, the best ash pan system with the sliding lid. One of the reason I changed the Vigll is because I wanted an ""insert"" style for the faux-foyer and ""please"" the insurrance company.
I don't know why but some members said that I love photos :lol:
Attachments
DSC05538.JPG
(112.38 KiB) Viewed 15 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
The small Base Burner
[nepathumb]40185[/nepathumb]
DSC05561.JPG
(117.71 KiB) Viewed 21 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
The Inset
[nepathumb]40186[/nepathumb]
DSC03148.JPG
(77.08 KiB) Viewed 18 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
The Vig111
[nepathumb]40187[/nepathumb]
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Vigilant II is just humming along!!!

PostBy: vmi1983 On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

nortcan wrote:
vmi1983 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Very good idea about the slicer used for the clean out covers. Some :idea: can be found on the forum. I never imaginated the reason for the notch at the end of the slicer tool :oops: , just thinking it was for a better slicing job when holding the notch upward :cry2: .
Knowing that, now I could get an other Vigll :D

Nortcan
How's the weather in Quebec during the cold snap? What was your lowest temp? I know you have an antique baseburner, how;s that stove working and do you still use your Vig?
Thanks

Hi vmi1983. The lowest temp we got here this Winter was -27*C/ -16*F. I have 2 base burner, one very small in a small living room and an other heating the rest of the whole house 2100 SqFt. These stoves make a very good job. I sold the Vigll, sometime a little $ is good . I made many modifs on the Vig and got a real good result, I can say that the stove took less anth and gave about the same heat output if not more...maybe you saw the vid. I made for a 24 Hrs period scedule with it. The Vigll has very good points like the long gases path like a base burner, an internal damper, the best ash pan system with the sliding lid. One of the reason I changed the Vigll is because I wanted an ""insert"" style for the faux-foyer and ""please"" the insurrance company.
I don't know why but some members said that I love photos :lol:



Nort,

Those stoves are tres beaux! Nice set ups mon ami! I don't think you can improve on that... thanks so much!
vmi1983
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves

cron