Best AntiVirus Program

Re: Best AntiVirus Program

PostBy: mozz On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Firefox used to download right to my desktop, it must have changed because it goes to some download folder now, just dragged that to the desktop. Firefox used to be good leaving all your settings they way you had them customized, but the last update changes a few things to default.
mozz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Norton gone, AVG installed, so far so good.
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: 009to090 On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Norton gone, AVG installed, so far so good.

:up: :up: :up:
009to090

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12 pm

So I suppose I can give Lavasoft Ad-Aware the boot too? The latest version gave me problems and I never could get it to work the way the older version did.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

I shitcanned that too for CC cleaner, Malwarebytes, & Spybot.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:17 pm

The older version worked great, I guess they went the way of other anti-virus/spyware companies, and screwed it up by trying to make it "better". AVG has spyware protection.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I've been using AVG's free program since my last post on this thread. A few issues: It's obviously sponsored by Yahoo, I use Google as my default search engine, it has changed it to Yahoo, and objects when I try to change it back. Also every few days another toolbar shows up and I have to go to View>Toolbars and then uncheck it (see screen shot below). It will show up again in a few days. I like the screen uncluttered. Also, I sent an email with a link to a post on Snopes.com and the recipient's antivirus program caught "Trojan.JS.Redirector.ar " in the email.
I made sure the definitions were current and scanned the hard drive, nothing found.
Should I give AVG the boot?
SCREEN SHOT 01-27-10.gif
(157.83 KiB) Viewed 28 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]18578[/nepathumb]

Looks like there is another thread running on this as well:
Virus Scanners
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: cbc6 On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:17 pm

you should be able to remove the toolbar by going to add/remove programs in the control panel. for some reason the like to sneak a toolbar in when you download the program.
cbc6

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks, I'll try that. I am reasonably knowledgeable about computers, but I don't have the time or patience to deal with a lot of issues. I just want an anti-virus/spyware program that works.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: 009to090 On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:04 pm

John, I removed AVG 4 months ago, and installed Microsoft Security Essentials on our notebooks. It free also. It plays real well with all progams.
009to090

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

PostBy: Razzler On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Should I give AVG the boot?

When you install AVG there is a box to uncheck if you don't want the toolbar installed. Uninstall it and reinstall and look for it, it's there. ;)
Razzler

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Buck

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm

DVC500 at last wrote:John, I removed AVG 4 months ago, and installed Microsoft Security Essentials on our notebooks. It free also. It plays real well with all progams.

If you are sure about it I'll do it, I have a dislike for all things Microsoft, I always find issues with them, sometimes I wish I had a Mac. We have an iBook, but I don't get to use it much, I like the way it operates.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: ken On: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Me personally , I go same sites everyday. Never have any problems. I clean out the PC twice a week.
ken

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker - Rice Coal
Stove/Furnace Model: 75K - Bay Window - Direct Vent

Avast is a known malware product

PostBy: nikonmom On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 pm

I think all of these products allow our most private computer files, emails, etc. to be read by big brother. Years ago i used avast, and was told that it was designed specifically to allow access to your computer. Even when i play computer games, someone else takes over my mouse!
nikonmom

Stove/Furnace Make: Smith & Anthony
Stove/Furnace Model: Hub Oak

Re: Avast is a known malware product

PostBy: MarkV On: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm

nikonmom wrote:I think all of these products allow our most private computer files, emails, etc. to be read by big brother. Years ago i used avast, and was told that it was designed specifically to allow access to your computer. Even when i play computer games, someone else takes over my mouse!

Yeaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, you know, disagree with you on that. Okaaay? (At least the Avast part... :) )
Bill-Lumbergh.jpg
Bill-Lumbergh.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Select:BBcode:
[nepafile=41087]Bill-Lumbergh.jpg[/nepafile]

My wife has had a Dell laptop running Vista for maybe five years. When she got it, I kept the pre-installed Norton AV for awhile, and then installed McAfee under a home-computer license from my employer. Over the next several years I spent at least one Saturday afternoon a month cleaning viruses off her PC. She's a coupon fan and signs up for anything and everything that promises a % off. She also has a lot of friends who email her links that have been emailed from a friend of a friend of a friend. I once told her she should change her userid to SendMeAVirus.

I got much help with the trickier viruses and rootkits from TechSupportGuy forums (I strongly recommend them if you can't clean something yourself). The virus guys on there recommended either Kaspersky or Avast. I chose Avast and bought a five-pc multi-year license to cover all our home machines. My wife's been running it for over two years now and has not had one virus infection since (although she's got plenty of Avast notices that it stopped and deleted an infection).

I wonder if the person who told you about "allowing access to your computer" heard about the Avast remote access tool that can be used to securely access someone else's computer, or let them securely access yours. I haven't had occasion to use it but I believe it's more secure than letting some nameless help desk person install something on your PC to allow remote access.

I recently bought a new Lenovo thinkpad to serve as my main home PC, and the first thing I did after powerup was install Avast Internet Security. The owner of the computer shop where I bought it said he's been installing MS Security Essentials on most machines going out the door, and has seen excellent results from that. I just don't want to be running more MS stuff on my PC than I absolutely have to.

Re. McAfee, that is as worthless a piece of crap as I've ever seen. We manage 600+ pcs where I work and we are required to use McAfee because of enterprise contracts. Any given week, we are re-imaging two or three pcs that are hosed by viruses. McAfee can't stop anything. It's like the proverbial old hound dog snoring away on the front porch while burglars break in the back and clean out the house.

Besides, I don't mind much if Avast wants to peek at my files (boring stuff for the most part)--as long as they keep my PC running so I can look at them.

I agree with you that any device you have that accesses the web or telecomm networks--computer, ipad, satellite/cable box, smartphone, whatever--is being accessed, browsed and monitored by the tech industry and government. Not "can be"...IS. Right now. (And not because of an anitvirus product we might install.) We all lost the privacy battle years ago when we first connected to the internet.
MarkV

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut