1942 Locke 'Warm Morning' Stove Questions

1942 Locke 'Warm Morning' Stove Questions

PostBy: slingo On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi guys,

Total neophyte here! My wife and I recently inherited the above mentioned stove (tall and cylindrical) and, while it appears to be in pretty good condition (hasn't been used in a long time...not even hooked up to a chimney), I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. Would GREATLY appreciate your thoughts!
Factors to consider for my application:
-- Does it burn wood? If so does it do it well (compared to coal or compared to other wood stoves)? I have a 34 x 40 pole barn that's uninsulated that I'd like to warm up once in a while when we're there in the winter (say, one weekend a month Jan-March, and it's in central VA, so not horribly cold). I have an endless supply of cut wood--most of it crappy pine, but still endless and free--so want to use that for fuel.
--If "No problem" to the above question, what sort of precautions should I take to protect the walls, furniture, etc., so the whole place doesn't go up in flames once we get it going? i.e. How far away from walls and furnature should it be? At what distance should I line a wall with brick?
--Any problems or issues with burning wood in it that I should know about, in terms of getting it going and keeping it warm through the night?
--the roof is 24' at the peak. Does the smoke pipe need to go straight up and stick up HIGHER than the top of the peak for proper and safe ventilation? or can I put an elbow in it and run it out the side wall? What type of smoke pipe do you recommend? (If it matters, ventilation is NOT a problem.)

Thanks!
Steve
Mineral, VA
slingo

Stove/Furnace Make: Locke
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning

Re: 1942 Locke 'Warm Morning' Stove Questions

PostBy: coalturkey On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 pm

It's a great coal stove but not much of a wood stove. I wouldn't think it would warm a 30x40 pole barn with no second floor much anyway. That's a lot of cubic feet.
coalturkey

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut
Other Heating: Home Comfort range
Stove/Furnace Make: Oakland #6 Base Heater
Stove/Furnace Model: Home Comfort range

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Something like the barrel stove kits can throw a lot of heat fast. Double 55 gallon drums even better.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: slingo On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks guys. Some other research turned up the same conclusion, so decided to NOT use it for my application. Will post it on Craigs List and try to find it a good home.

Thanks for your help!
slingo

PostBy: Dennis On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

slingo wrote:Thanks guys. Some other research turned up the same conclusion, so decided to NOT use it for my application. Will post it on Craigs List and try to find it a good home.

Thanks for your help!

Post it in the fourm's for sale also
Furnaces, HVAC, Plumbing Supplies-4Sale
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: slingo On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Good idea. Thanks Dennis!
slingo

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Steve

Have you thought about using the WM in your home? It will almost surely save you some serious $$$$$$$$$. WM stoves can burn both Bit or Antracite as well. Good benefit to have.. :D
ONEDOLLAR

Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Visit Hitzer Stoves