Windows 8 Review Anybody??

Re: Windows 8 Review Anybody??

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Richard S. wrote:
SteveZee wrote:You're probably aware of the Win7 easy transfer software that's built into Win 7? It works with XP to 7 also (although not as "easy") but you need a transfer cord to go direct.

I just directly connected with ethernet cable and was able to see other computer as networked computer.

Should have thought of that. I used a USB cord with the easy trans. Win 7 to 7 is simple.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:51 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Classic shell is a good fix for win 8...
dont hate it dont love it...
sticking with win 7 for now...
but 7 home is limited to 16 GB ram...
Pro7 192 GB
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/5a518386-27a8-46fa-a85a-678b7c25358e/

32-bit versions of Windows 8 support up to 4 GB of RAM. The 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro supports up to 512 GB while the 64-bit version of Windows 8 (standard) supports up to 128 GB.

Windows 8 Pro supports a maximum of 2 physical CPUs and the standard version of Windows 8 just one. In total, up to 32 logical processors are supported in 32-bit versions of Windows 8, while up to 256 logical processors are supported in 64-bit versions.

Our work stations have been std with 16 GB ram and 128 GB SSD...
Servers/heavy use computers 32 GB ram and 256 GB SSD...

Those SSD's are the cats meow. No moving parts, just a giant flash drive. I'm still having problems with my RAID5 SAS array. Just replaced a failed drive and still showing failed volume. Irritating. Need to go into the LSI config (preboot) and see what's what. Should have been plug and play since the other two are mirrors. Can't believe the replacment is bad although it is a reman due to the price of new ones. They are sending a replacment so we'll see. Worse comes to worse I have to set up a new array but that deletes everything then pray my backup works. The whole reason to have a RAID is NOT to go through this!
SteveZee

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 am

The whole reason to have a RAID is NOT to go through this!

Forget RAIDs if you want a raid array in a Dell 2600 call me and I will give you one. They also make great boat anchors. Backup nightly with Mozy and buy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... _O261-2114

Leave the stuff you don't daily in the clouds.

I'm tired of this RAID c rap
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 110K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, Jotul 507
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Invader 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 am

coalnewbie wrote:
The whole reason to have a RAID is NOT to go through this!

Forget RAIDs if you want a raid array in a Dell 2600 call me and I will give you one. They also make great boat anchors. Backup nightly with Mozy and buy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... _O261-2114

Leave the stuff you don't daily in the clouds.

I'm tired of this RAID c rap

yeah you're right newbee. There is really no way to "add a drive" if the firmware doesn't automatically copy the drive into the stack. In the LSI preboot utility it only has the ability to create an array and doing that is starting over clean. There is a way to "migrate' the data stripes that I might have a go with but that is for IM 2 drive set ups and I believe mine is the IME (enhanced) version because I have 3 drives. I'm going to wait till the replacement drive arrives and see if it sets up by itself (as it should) and if not, I'll make a new array and use my last backup. Pain in the arse to have to reload all the programs though.

Wow the price is really coming down on the SSD! That's a heck of a deal. Thanks.
SteveZee

PostBy: Yanche On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Anyone with experience with cloud storage AND encryption, so that none of the data in the cloud is readable. Ideally encryption/decryption software available for both desktops and tablets. Currently I use PKWare's SecureZip for Windows. There is an iPad decryption application but no encryption. My cloud service is Microsofts Skydrive. How about hardware encryption accelerators?
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Well Yanche, the stuff I store is such irrelevant drivel, I sometimes doubt my sanity on storing it at all never alone why someone would want to hack it. If they can find something useful be my guest. Once I labeled the drive "Pentagon secret backup server" and a member of Al Qaeda hacked in by discovering my password was "password", spent hours reading it and was overcome with narcolepsy fell off the chair and banged his head on the floor.
coalnewbie

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 am

BTW Steve, I also use Mozy Stash for my wifes stuff. The cost of all this is nothing compared to the aggravation of Win 8 and RAIDs. Clouds are the future. Any takers on my Poweredge servers, not only are they great boat anchors but you love them as sea anchors in a storm, one off the bow and one off the stern. Roll up, free stuff for coalies...... they don't burn well however. Please be responsible and wash the cadmium off first.
coalnewbie

PostBy: Wanna Bee On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 am

I have been messing around with a new laptop with W8. Some things I have found sofar,

Cannot network with any other OS. Although W7 is the only one I have tried
Does not support Zune software.
No longer supports Microsoft Essentials.

It runs a smart phone format, Kind of annoying
Wanna Bee

Stove/Furnace Make: Grander Stove Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: Royal Bride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah Win 7 is bad enough trying to network share machines. My own network with Win7 Pro on the workstation and 7 home premium on the laptop, I can't "share" files between the two! I've tried using the password they give you, making my own, I just keep getting the sorry can't do it error message! :mad:
SteveZee

PostBy: titleist1 On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 pm

you probably already double and triple checked this since you are far more advanced in this networking stuff than me, but ...

i kept getting networking issues between the new win7 and previous win Vista and previous-er win xp machines, it turned out to be the IP address assignments on the win 7 machine which didn't appear to be saved. i would make the update in the win 7 machine APPLY it, close those networking windows, look for the other computers to show up in the network window, see them copy a couple files that i needed successfully, go do other stuff, come back to copy some more files I found that I needed and the only link between computers that remained was between the Vista and xp machines. I'd have to go into the win 7 machine and re-enter the IP address info.

also i had to make the wireless router IP the gateway when all were connected through the wireless router. when cabled together through the ethernet ports either IP address could be set up as the gateway.

besides the actual network link, the folder and file sharing was tedious to set up across all three machines.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

titleist1 wrote:you probably already double and triple checked this since you are far more advanced in this networking stuff than me, but ...

i kept getting networking issues between the new win7 and previous win Vista and previous-er win xp machines, it turned out to be the IP address assignments on the win 7 machine which didn't appear to be saved. i would make the update in the win 7 machine APPLY it, close those networking windows, look for the other computers to show up in the network window, see them copy a couple files that i needed successfully, go do other stuff, come back to copy some more files I found that I needed and the only link between computers that remained was between the Vista and xp machines. I'd have to go into the win 7 machine and re-enter the IP address info.

also i had to make the wireless router IP the gateway when all were connected through the wireless router. when cabled together through the ethernet ports either IP address could be set up as the gateway.

besides the actual network link, the folder and file sharing was tedious to set up across all three machines.

Hmmm, you might be onto something! You're right though it's a real PITA to file share and this is on a dink home network in the house!
SteveZee

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

With routers like my Netgear R6300 there is a USB port and a 2TB (cheap) drive can rest there available to all that have permission. Redundancy is many things to many people. I like Mozy with Stash as well as if a have a real problem such as a house fire or a need to get files on the Ipad on the move it's all available to mobile devices. I don't know if we are getting away from Win 8 review but a new operating system has to offer me something new and WIn 7 is all I will ever need right now anyway. Took them close to twenty years to get it right but now I think they have it spot on. That new killer app needs to be out there and I don't see it yet.
coalnewbie

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 pm

HOLY CRAP ... I had no idea Apples were that pricey. Looks like I won't be doing that anytime soon. :x

Well, I still have my old Sony Vaio, root kit and all. :lol: Maybe I can wipe the disk and start over with XP ..... or do the same with this one. This one has a mirror disk on it with Vista 64 - I guess you can wipe the main and just upload the mirror to the main when your done??? No idea how that works. Wish I understood how these damn things work. :mad:

It's easier on my stress level to just throw them in the heap with the rest of them to use for parts to desolder, when my other electronic crap takes a dump.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 am

SMITTY wrote:HOLY CRAP ... I had no idea Apples were that pricey. Looks like I won't be doing that anytime soon. :x

Well, I still have my old Sony Vaio, root kit and all. :lol: Maybe I can wipe the disk and start over with XP ..... or do the same with this one. This one has a mirror disk on it with Vista 64 - I guess you can wipe the main and just upload the mirror to the main when your done??? No idea how that works. Wish I understood how these damn things work. :mad:

It's easier on my stress level to just throw them in the heap with the rest of them to use for parts to desolder, when my other electronic crap takes a dump.

Actually Smitty I'm not sure that is an actual physical (meaning separate drive) mirror that your talking about on the laptop. I'm assuming you mean the OSTools drive listed under my computer? That is your OS but it is usually a partition of the C: main drive. You should be able to boot from that as long it never been messed with or changed. Actually that is where the computer goes to first to boot up in default mode.
SteveZee