New Chubby Owner - Great first season so far

Re: New Chubby Owner - Great first season so far

PostBy: joeq On: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm

[quote="Hilltown"]...you're right, we should keep it a secret.
I'll confess that we were more oriented towards the "look" than what we were burning. We also didn't expect that our eventual solution would be such a significant part of our heating system.

I can understand where you're coming from Mr. Hilltop. My main craze used to be geared more towards Hi-performance cars, but when I purchased an old farmhouse, old houses have become just as interesting. Sometimes I drive the wife crazy with some of my obsessions of keeping things "period" correct. Unfortunately my existing stove doesn't cut it, but for now it's all I have, as I learn the ropes of this very practical art form. It's definitely not only cut down my oil costs, but the house is much warmer, and the stove fills a nice niche off our foyer. You mentioned you had a kitchen stove. Do you use it for heat, or decoration? My wife and I were at a flea market yrs ago, and one of those kitchen stoves were there. When I showed it to the wife, she barked, "you buy it, you're cooking on it"! :mad: That was the end of that.(wasn't looking to cook on it....but if it could?) :)
joeq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

joeq wrote:
Hilltown wrote:...you're right, we should keep it a secret.
I'll confess that we were more oriented towards the "look" than what we were burning. We also didn't expect that our eventual solution would be such a significant part of our heating system.

I can understand where you're coming from Mr. Hilltop. My main craze used to be geared more towards Hi-performance cars, but when I purchased an old farmhouse, old houses have become just as interesting. Sometimes I drive the wife crazy with some of my obsessions of keeping things "period" correct. Unfortunately my existing stove doesn't cut it, but for now it's all I have, as I learn the ropes of this very practical art form. It's definitely not only cut down my oil costs, but the house is much warmer, and the stove fills a nice niche off our foyer. You mentioned you had a kitchen stove. Do you use it for heat, or decoration? My wife and I were at a flea market yrs ago, and one of those kitchen stoves were there. When I showed it to the wife, she barked, "you buy it, you're cooking on it"! :mad: That was the end of that.(wasn't looking to cook on it....but if it could?) :)

Same here Joe, When I got this old house it became cool for me too. The reason they "feel" better heated with stoves is that they were actually designed for stove heat and usually were set up with good circulation and faced south etc.... They thought out these things because they didn't have central heating back then. Every little bit helped.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: Hilltown On: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am

You mentioned you had a kitchen stove. Do you use it for heat, or decoration?

...our cookstove is one of the larger Glenwood Insulated models from the 1920's - kind of the last hurrah for that type of quality & performance. It's designed only for cooking. It runs on propane (or NG). We use it on a regular basis. It has updated safeties for the ovens, but we use all the old (Robert Shaw) controls & the cook top is unchanged. As a big bonus it looks cool - so it for decoration, too. The Family room with the Chubby is adjacent to the kitchen & that takes care of our heating needs.
Hilltown

Stove/Furnace Make: Coal Chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: Standard Chubby

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: joeq On: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Sounds like you've got all bases covered Mr. Hilton. And Steve, how'ld you know my house faces south? :roll:
joeq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 pm

joeq wrote:Sounds like you've got all bases covered Mr. Hilton. And Steve, how'ld you know my house faces south? :roll:

Ha,ha well cause mine does and it's vintage.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Visit Hitzer Stoves