I'm not from MA but...

Re: I'm not from MA but...

PostBy: KLook On: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Ride it quick, I heard rain is coming in behind.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: Paulie On: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

This baby is getting uglier by the men, 35+ inches and rising! Oh Boy, here we go! :shock:
Paulie

Stove/Furnace Make: leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

PostBy: milstencil On: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 am

I'm ready :!: :!:
Rick
Attachments
snow blower small.JPG
(19.37 KiB) Viewed 9 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]40388[/nepathumb]
milstencil

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer 50-93
Stove/Furnace Model: Hitzer 30-95

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am

Nice ride you got there !!!
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: chester On: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

there calling for 6-8" here in central NY,but the way the weatherpeople are screaming you would think it was the end of the world ! :rambo2:
chester

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 pm

I know right? They do this every single winter. Takes the heat off our out-of-control government - that's the reason for the amped-up drama, I suppose.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:16 am

Just an update from duxbury ma....this is worst storm ever.... bad situation no power no ability to get in or out neighbors are going to each other to survive.... zero sign of any emergency trucks thus far... people cant get to shelter even if they wanted to.... pick of my street issues attached...there are about 6 of these blockages between us and civilasation.cant upload pic.... wish us luck and ill post some pics when i can
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 am

Good luck and I hope everybody gets out OK. However, this is a coal board and so I ask what would your neighbors give for a Crane 44 and a few bags of coal. Of course, it's too late for them to install for this storm but something to think of in the future. The ability to stay warm, melt snow water and even limited cooking in a pinch. The backup to my main coal heating is ... coal heating. My Jotul 507 stands waiting for exactly this type of occasion. It can't cut the mustard as a whole home heater for me but boy would it be worth a fortune if (God forbid) I was in your situation. I was in that situation exactly in 1994 and I said ... never again. I am going to go and give my coal pile a hug ... oh that's right, it's buried under 15" of snow but getting to it this morning is baby stuff for me thank God.

I'm an old man and in the words of the prophet.... I'm too old for this chit.
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 110K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, Jotul 507
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Invader 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: jjs777_fzr On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 am

This is the other side of the peninsula my parents live on in Winthrop MA (in the photo below).
My parents had over two feet of water running down the street. Normally they'd get flooded as all the water would make its way underground into the basement. Somehow - and this is rare - they didn't get any water. The snowplows had built up several feet of snow on the sidewalk and kept the water flowing down the street.
Never seen this happen before - really escaped this one. Myabe the ground being frozen helped too - I just never seen snow prevent the ocean from coming in. Albeit they are on the inner harbor side - much calmer but the water from the Atlantic fills up the harbor and the waves roll over the seawall.

As for this Blizzard ? At least from what I see - it's not even close to the Great Blizzard. The winds were no where near the gusts measured at Logan Airport and the tides were 'tame'. Tame I say ? Because post '78 there was portions of the street and seawall gone - up to the houses - from the waves carving deep into the ground (note the seawall and street intact in the photo).

haha - I was 7 in '78. I thought it was the coolest thing ever watching the waves roll over the seawall - up until the waves started crashing against the house and my parents nervously whisked me away thinking the sunporch would be torn off. Winthrop has one of those emergency WWII vehicles/boats (the duck tours). It sank. They came around with a frontend loader to rescue residents trapped on the shoreline - many folks didn't leave including my family - as they were not taking pets. huh ? Sorry dog or cat - hope you can swim. I don't know what they were thinking had it turned out worse than it did.

My parents have a nice fireplace - they rarely used it and never burned wood - since the flu was said to need relining (unknown word to my parents) - so '78 saw no heat for us as the oil furnace succumbed to 6 feet of water.
This 2013 blizzard - they were happily burning the wood stove insert I installed - and when the power went out they were merrily burning staying warm.

Some of my friends and colleagues have had no power since Friday. They look at me strangely when I ask if they have a wood stove or such.
This 2013 storm looks like it hit Connecticut with the most amount of snowfall.
Luckily for us - or me anyways in MA - this snow was light and easy to move albeit lots of it. If this were heavier snow this would have been much more catastrophic.

jjs777_fzr

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:19 am

Them be some surfin' waves... ;)
We got the Snowcrete on The Cape...
gonna be over 32 for the next 48 hrs...
time to clear before it freezes again...
CapeCoaler

Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

PostBy: Freddy On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am

[quote="franco b"] a broom. How do you sharpen that? [/quote

Let my wife ride it around the neighborhood a few times, swooping in low & letting it drag on the street.

Hey! Who hacked my account? I didn't write THAT! That's my story & I'm stickin' to it. ;)
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 am

Great Photo jjs!
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah this storm was big, but NOTHING like '78. The media loves to hype up these situations to unrealistic levels. My buddy from CA was asking me if tanks were rolling through the streets yet -- from what he got from the "news" stations, it's total chaos out here.

In reality, it's just another MA winter for chrissakes ...:funny:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Holy Crap jjs777 :shock: who took that epic photo? Run Forest RUNNNNNN!!! :lol:

Ive been driving around from Brockton to Quincy to Plymouth today and even though the snowfall seems to be much more towards Brockton, the damage is nothing compared to Duxbury / Marshfield area. Of course 78' was a bigger storm and longer but the damage from 78' just is NOT near the damage caused by this blizzard, i was in Duxbury for both of these storms. We got a huge blessing with all the rainfall today though which is clearing the brunt of the snow for us :P
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: jjs777_fzr On: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:31 am

dcrane wrote:Holy Crap jjs777 :shock: who took that epic photo? Run Forest RUNNNNNN!!! :lol:

That photo landed on the front page of the NYTimes Feb 10th 2013. Not sure who the photog was.
http://www.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/1 ... e/scan.jpg

My buddy did take the following photos ---click on thumbnail for larger view.

jjs777_fzr

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove