Ready to switch to coal

Re: Ready to switch to coal

PostBy: GoodProphets On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 pm

hmmm?

Do you use the oil in the summer for HW?

The first question I got answered from AHS was that the WOC was not as eff at burning coal as to the Coal Gun
and the wood not as eff as the Wood Gun.

Ben from AHS told be since they (WOC) are meant to burn both W and C, that their specs are broader and not as eff.
Since that was my first question, I jumped back from the WOC at that particular second.
Now if you burn oil in the summer, then it is understandable...but adding an oil burner is about $1300 on the WOC
and about $1500 on the Coal gun. $1900 i think if you want auto switch.

Did you buy used or get it on sale?
What made you choose the WOC to the Coal gun, if you are only using coal?
Just helping make my decisions, not trying to call you out...

Also what type of heat?
I have stand up cast iron radiators
GoodProphets

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Anthra Rice
Other Heating: 3 Fireplaces

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:43 pm

GoodProphets wrote:
Dennis wrote:
with that amount of oil,you could pay the new boiler off in 2 to 3 years easy. :dancing:

Yes, indeed

How do you like the multi fuel?
Do you ever use all coal in a season?
DO you know how efficient one or the other is?
I do have access to some free wood, so the WOC is still in my sights if the eff is up there.

Once you burn coal, you will not want to burn wood. :D

20-24 full cord of wood a year to 9 ton of coal.. My back doesn't hurt anymore.
cArNaGe

PostBy: Dennis On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm

GP,

yes,the multi fuels are not as eff. as the coal/wood guns. Ben told me they are trying to push and sell the guns.

I use elect. hot water heater for summer.During the summer for DHW I calculated it would cost $90.00 month with coal(30 lbs. day just to maintain) and $35.00 month for elec. hot water heater. Your DHW needs may be more than mine so it might pay you to burn during summer :!: as long as you can keep a draft going with a hand feed boiler :!: The coal gun would work better in the summer for DHW

I bought my new woc55/non-code for $6262.00 loaded with everything,5 gal.DHW coil,forced draft,oil gun,water cooled baffles,auto oil switch over. They were having end of year sale and cash discount. Purchased 12-9-10

I'm currently heating 30 x40 cape cod house with basebord heated to 70*,basement to 70* from radient heat off of boiler. I started the boiler on 10-27-11 and up to today have gone thru 3202 lbs. of nut anthricite. I have a 1800 sqft, shop that needs to be heated to 70* for manfuctured stones to cure,but thats next summers project.

:?: Multi fuel or coal gun :?: thats your decision don't rush into it,either one will out last you and me and maybe your children.

I bought my boiler to heat with the free wood thing bop2 I didn't have any seasoned wood, so i got 2 ton of coal and will never burn wood again,since coal is easy and less work,less mess,less expense.

any questions just ask. Dennis
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: GoodProphets On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Aha! makes much sense now.

Yes, that wood thing is what peaked me to AHS or this forum to begin with.
You having the back up of throwing wood in at anytime for emergency is a nice thing to have,
but that price was one heck of a deal!

For s260 Coal gun and options, I will be about $10k or $12k with auto oil.

My plans are s260 with DWH
I will prob add auger DIY style or pay the premium.
Then for summer, I may just opt for the oil burner...not sure yet.

My boro better not give me any problems with this going in, or I will be a pissed puppy
and find a different house.
(they supply electric to all boro residents) thank god not oil!
I understand permits and yada yada may be necessary. Gotta check on the H stamp.

Will be getting an estimate from a local HVAC company to see if it isnt too high.
I will allow possibly $2k maybe $3k for install (that better also include some warranties), but anymore and this will be a DIY project
I heard some numbers floating around being $4-6k, and that isnt happening.
GoodProphets

PostBy: Dennis On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Just remember it will last a long time do it right first time.I little more money up front,but a big pay back in the end. :clap: easy for me to say toothy
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: BlackBetty06 On: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Where about in Ephrata GoodProphets?? I grew up in that town and so did my dad and grandparents??
BlackBetty06

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Elite Coal insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth materials Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Wood, oil, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Magnafire coal insert

PostBy: Paulie On: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Have you looked at other brands of boiler? A few out there and this is a big project, might be worth your while to check them
out as well.
Paulie

Stove/Furnace Make: leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

PostBy: Greyhound On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 am

FWIW, there was a 260 AHS on eBay a few weeks ago, classified ad for $7500, brand new, if I remember the guy bought it but never installed it. Don't know if it still there, but may be worth a look if you are going that way.

Rick
Greyhound

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

PostBy: dcrane On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:09 am

lsayre wrote:Be prepared to go through perhaps 10 - 12 tons of coal annually.

500 gallons of #2 heating oil is about 3 tons of coal (give or take, depending upon which is burning more efficiently).

Ya, but im sure he is going to be redoing his antique home like it were a old classic Glenwood (and hopefully posting some pics for those of us who like houses as much as coal stoves) :P
I know in MA. we have things like the MassSave program's which basically pay 75% of the cost to insulate an older home as well as give rebates for all things energy efficient that you may do as you upgrade. I would think their has to be programs in PA. that might give the same help because alot of the funding comes from the federal gov.???

@GoodProphets , you should defiantly look into this type of stuff immediately in PA before buying up new things to replace the old things or insulating, etc. I have to believe other states offer something similar to MA. and if they do these programs and incentives are worth thousands of dollars to you!
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:13 am

Guys, this is an old thread...he installed an EFM in the fall.
Rob R.

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Lightning On: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 am

Rob R. wrote:Guys, this is an old thread...he installed an EFM in the fall.

I'm glad we have a few looker outers to steer the ship :lol:
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

PostBy: GoodProphets On: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Even checking here often I didnt check the PA forum.

Yeah, I did get the EFM 520 installed and running good for the last year.

My DF520 is up and running (new install)

Thread on the startup and just getting dialed in.
GoodProphets

PostBy: GoodProphets On: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:34 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:Where about in Ephrata GoodProphets?? I grew up in that town and so did my dad and grandparents??

Lived mostly in Akron a few places and then bought first house on West Main st in Ephrata.
GoodProphets